1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetic With High Cholesterol And Highbp

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Suffolk gal, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

Everyday I make this, I could virtually do it blindfold now! I love it, which is quite strange as I wasn’t very keen on coconut before I went low carb, my tastes have changed. I have the ‘porridge’ with a blob of cream and a couple of strawberries :hungry:
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge

2. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

@Rachox Can you taste the egg in that recipe?

3. Rachox

Staff Member

No I can’t.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Suffolk gal

Suffolk gal · Active Member

Ah, problem. I'm allergic to eggs, so sadly that's a no-go I'm afraid. Thank you though. My muesli is Allen no added sugar. I'm sure it's not good, but it's the lowest one I could find when I checked labels. Maybe I should just breakfast with yogurt? I've become a yogurt junkie since diagnosis, and I never much liked it. At least I'm going from not overweight to 10lbs less!

5. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

I suggest just miss the egg out and maybe add in some more coconut cream.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rachox

Staff Member

It will end up really runny though! :( It relies on the egg cooking to thicken it.

7. bulkbiker

OK then add less coconut cream? I'm trying to be helpful @Rachox.. far easier to skip breakfast altogether of course...! :angelic:

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Suffolk gal

I may try homemade low salt brown seeded bread with button mushrooms. Would that be better than the muesli? Thank goodness I see the carbohydrates nurse for a 2 hour diet help session on Monday. The Desmond all day appointment is mid August. It seems mad the dr gives his diagnoses along with the meds prescription, but that's it for weeks. The only help is you great folk on here.

9. bulkbiker

The mushrooms should be fine... fried in butter I hope.. personally I'd ditch the bread..
    If you are seeing a carbohydrates nurse maybe don't expect too much!

10. Marcus1234

Marcus1234 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi, I also suffer very high cholesterol and have recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I'm struggling with my diet at the moment. The LCHF diet looks a favourite for diabetics but not for people with high cholesterol levels.
    My GP wants me to take statins which I am reluctant to due to previous nasty side effects, I am hoping to start an exercise plan after my holiday to reduce some weight and hoping this will help with my diabetes and lower my cholesterol naturally.
    Good luck.

11. Suffolk gal

I also have high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Also had a bad experience with statins which resulted in 5 months off work - first time I'd been off more than a few days except when having children. I agree the LCHF diet looks as good in one way as it looks bad in another for us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. bulkbiker

You need to read up on current cholesterol science and not the c**p that doctors spout..
    Also quite a few report "improved" cholesterol numbers when low carbing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. zand

zand Type 2 · Expert

My experience is that my cholesterol has gone down with LCHF, but I understand that doesn't always happen.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Suffolk gal

I'm definitely trying to follow LCHF but I'm struggling somewhat. I'll keep going though cos I want to control this and not have it controlling me. Early days, but I think mostly I'm feeling better. I seem to find it hard to think of much else though. It's a scary place to suddenly find yourself. Aiming to go through recipes etc on here to find more I can eat. I've already decided not to listen to dr.

15. bulkbiker

Great news.. Not sure if anyone has suggested www.dietdoctor.com as a great place for recipes too... quite a few vegetarian ones as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rachox

Staff Member

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook