1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetics and 12 weeks isolation

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Ross101, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Ross101

Ross101 Type 1 · Member

Hi all just wondering has anyone on here received a letter off their doctor telling them to isolate for 12 weeks? I now know 2 people who have type 1 diabetes who recieved letters yesterday telling them they had to stay at home for 12 weeks. They are both in their 50s and have no other conditions. Are we now going to being told to stay at home or is this dependant on your doctors? I have attached a copy of the letter they received. I have just contacted my doctors for clarification

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    #1 Ross101, Apr 10, 2020 at 10:08 AM
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  2. Ross101

Ross101 Type 1 · Member

Update I have received a reply from my doctors not confirming or denying a letter is being sent just states that “we are still in the process of sending letters out”

3. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

I don't think it's dependent on the doctor per se, rather a body like Public Health England running some sort of computer program that analyses everybody's medical records and then spews out lists of 'at risk' patients to be sent out to GP's.

Some people are getting the letters who shouldn't, some people who should get letters are being missed.

I have not received anything myself.

• Like Like x 2
  4. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Just wondering what their hba1cs are? I believe others have said that an hba1c over a certain level puts you into the extra high risk category.... ( over 79????)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ross101

Ross101 Type 1 · Member

Guys huge update

spoke to my doctors they said anyone with diabetes will be getting told to isolate for 12 weeks. They have been finalising them this week and letters are going out and will be landing next week. I have been told I’m getting one so I imagine everyone else will be too

• Like Like x 1
  6. fatrats

fatrats Type 2 · Member

Hi
    my husbands gp yesterday said 75. unfortunately he is not my gp and my hba1c is 80 and my gp said they could not give me a letter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  7. Ross101

Ross101 Type 1 · Member

I was just told by my doctors it’s not based on management it’s based on if you have an underlying health condition full stop

• Like Like x 1
  8. fatrats

fatrats Type 2 · Member

thankyou Ross. My gp sympathised but said I would have to use my husbands shielding letter with my employer. Diabetes did not count! All I want is to be able to work from home like thousands already are who have no underlying conditions.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ross101

Ross101 Type 1 · Member

how recent were you told this? From the sounds of it this is something that’s changed this week

10. fatrats

fatrats Type 2 · Member

we spoke to my husbands gp yesterday. He was great. Spoke to mine this morning and they knew nothing but were sympathetic.

11. Ross101

Ross101 Type 1 · Member

Ah ok well I’m not sure what’s going on then that’s what I was told from my doctors why it would be different for other I don’t know

I’ll update this thread when/if I get a letter

• Hug Hug x 1
  12. fatrats

fatrats Type 2 · Member

thankyou. should be same for all. perhaps its just a communication delay. think I may change doctors if I survive this.

• Hug Hug x 1
  13. fatrats

fatrats Type 2 · Member

Hi Ross101 update: My husband had a shielding letter from his GP which now means I must work from home to protect him. My own gp still says that I can self isolate but need to use letter from nhs website, so not backed up by GP, so no use at work as far as I know. So I am at home at least. still plan to change doctors!

14. fatrats

fatrats Type 2 · Member

just to add that fortunately work have agreed to this

• Winner Winner x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook