Diabetics and diarrhoea

witchfire

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all ,just had couple bouts bad diarrhoea ,I am on metformin and lisiniprol plus others .went to doctor as felt really ill ,he said metformin and lisinprol excellent for treatment but when you get dehydrated the tablets become dangerous .so if suffering stop tablets till clear .my levels have been good and recently told only to test every two to three days as its expensive .and as a afterthought he said yes stopping tablets might help but could cause other problems.
My hope is some of you may have had this and can help as I feel first hand help better .Many thanks glyn

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Some people cannot tolerate Metformin in any form. Some get on OK with the Slow Release (SR) version. Which one are you using @witchfire ?

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, if you're not already on it, ask the GP for the Slow release (SR) version of Metformin

witchfire

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi thanks for reply ,I am on metformin only 1000 mgs a day but have been okay till now ,doc thinks viral but I had two separate bouts , any solutions on stopping diarrhoea or slowing it as after can feel really ill .both times sent home from work on one I was like the exorcism both ends lol

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely ask for slow release metformin, but also watch your carbohydrate consumption - too much can apparently cause gastric issues.

JenniB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I have had almost constant distress and been to doctor three times in as many months since starting metfomin tablets. I am grateful to this site as doctors never said there was an alternative type of metfomin I did take. So annoying as they did not even acknowledge the tablets CD be responsible.

Judith55

When I was first diagnosed, I was started on Metformin 250 mg for a week then increased to 500 mg which I took for 4 days then had to stop. It triggered a wicked migraine which lasted for 4 days, bloating, and a feeling that I wanted to go to the toilet but nothing happened when I went. Finally I stopped it and things settled within 2 days. I am now on Glumetza 1000 mg daily (slow release Metformin) which works. It seems that as Metformin is the first line of medications used for diabetics that is what they like to use. I had a very difficult time convincing my physician that Metformin was the cause for my symptoms. I have also tried other medications which include Metformin such as Janumet, and had similar symptoms. I refuse to go on Metformin.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Am I the only one that takes metformin and sometimes has constipation?
Especially when I cut bread and pasta I've some problems in the bathtoom. I've found that a mix of psilluim and linen seeds works great, anyway.

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
Not all doctors will issue SR Metformin due to the cost which is more than double the standard Metformin.

I know this as today I was told by the GP when I asked for SR ... not given. He said my issues may have been due to being on too high a dose of Metformin as my BS had come down so drastically ....