Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Wish I could sleep if the tinnitus would just shut the Hull up.

3.30 in the morning and wide awake ridiculous.

I would go down stairs and have a coffee but would mess up fbg in the morning.

Sorry to tell you but it doesn't get any easier. I listen to 'In our Time' Radio4 podcasts on volume loud enough to cover the tinitus but not loud enough to keep me awake. My family do complain about the noise though.
Melvyn Bragg's low voice and the absence of laughter/applause etc and the fact that they are usually 30-45 mins means that I rarely get to the end of one podcast!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I was diagnosed with bilateral tinnitus and hearing loss in 1981 or there abouts the first 10 years were the worst in the first year or so hardly ever slept became severely depressed and was on anti depressants for several years ,
I can normally handle it these days I have various sound sources that I can use to help focus past it at night. But at times like the last several days it seems to become far more intense and more difficult to handle.

Don't know if you have seen this but it seems tinnitus affects largish areas of the brain and has some unfortunate aspects.

https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(15)00278-X

"Tinnitus can occur when damage to the peripheral auditory system leads to spontaneous brain activity that is interpreted as sound [1, 2]. Many abnormalities of brain activity are associated with tinnitus, but it is unclear how these relate to the phantom sound itself, as opposed to predisposing factors or secondary consequences [3]. Demonstrating “core” tinnitus correlates (processes that are both necessary and sufficient for tinnitus perception) requires high-precision recordings of neural activity combined with a behavioral paradigm in which the perception of tinnitus is manipulated and accurately reported by the subject. This has been previously impossible in animal and human research. Here we present extensive intracranial recordings from an awake, behaving tinnitus patient during short-term modifications in perceived tinnitus loudness after acoustic stimulation (residual inhibition) [4], permitting robust characterization of core tinnitus processes. As anticipated, we observed tinnitus-linked low-frequency (delta) oscillations [5, 6, 7, 8, 9], thought to be triggered by low-frequency bursting in the thalamus [10, 11]. Contrary to expectation, these delta changes extended far beyond circumscribed auditory cortical regions to encompass almost all of auditory cortex, plus large parts of temporal, parietal, sensorimotor, and limbic cortex. In discrete auditory, parahippocampal, and inferior parietal “hub” regions [12], these delta oscillations interacted with middle-frequency (alpha) and high-frequency (beta and gamma) activity, resulting in a coherent system of tightly coupled oscillations associated with high-level functions including memory and perception."

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I was diagnosed with bilateral tinnitus and hearing loss in 1981 or there abouts the first 10 years were the worst in the first year or so hardly ever slept became severely depressed and was on anti depressants for several years ,
I can normally handle it these days I have various sound sources that I can use to help focus past it at night. But at times like the last several days it seems to become far more intense and more difficult to handle.

Don't know if you have seen this but it seems tinnitus affects largish areas of the brain and has some unfortunate aspects.

"Tinnitus can occur when damage to the peripheral auditory system leads to spontaneous brain activity that is interpreted as sound [1, 2]. Many abnormalities of brain activity are associated with tinnitus, but it is unclear how these relate to the phantom sound itself, as opposed to predisposing factors or secondary consequences [3]. Demonstrating “core” tinnitus correlates (processes that are both necessary and sufficient for tinnitus perception) requires high-precision recordings of neural activity combined with a behavioral paradigm in which the perception of tinnitus is manipulated and accurately reported by the subject. This has been previously impossible in animal and human research. Here we present extensive intracranial recordings from an awake, behaving tinnitus patient during short-term modifications in perceived tinnitus loudness after acoustic stimulation (residual inhibition) [4], permitting robust characterization of core tinnitus processes. As anticipated, we observed tinnitus-linked low-frequency (delta) oscillations [5, 6, 7, 8, 9], thought to be triggered by low-frequency bursting in the thalamus [10, 11]. Contrary to expectation, these delta changes extended far beyond circumscribed auditory cortical regions to encompass almost all of auditory cortex, plus large parts of temporal, parietal, sensorimotor, and limbic cortex. In discrete auditory, parahippocampal, and inferior parietal “hub” regions [12], these delta oscillations interacted with middle-frequency (alpha) and high-frequency (beta and gamma) activity, resulting in a coherent system of tightly coupled oscillations associated with high-level functions including memory and perception."

Could you help with clarifying the link between tinitus and memory please? Also my depth perception is awful so I would be interested in learning more about how memory and perception are affected. TIA

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I found this very interesting, since a friend of mine years ago suffered from tinnitus he said was caused by the SSRI his doctor had prescribed, Lexapro. He said it had caused tinnitus when he was on it before.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
bowandarrow.gif
This is Cupid. He's both green and kinda cabbage-looking, and his arrows can fly halfway across continents and all the way across oceans to wish all of y'all a happy Valentine's Day.
heartstiny.gif

Reactions: Antje77 and heh

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bowandarrow.gif
This is Cupid. He's both green and kinda cabbage-looking, and his arrows can fly halfway across continents and all the way across oceans to wish all of y'all a happy Valentine's Day.
heartstiny.gif

How sweet of you. Right back atcha!

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
bowandarrow.gif
heartstiny.gif

Thank you and same to you. :)
Several years ago I made a mistake. In fact I made two. Mr Blue always bought me some fresh red roses on Valentines Day. After a while I told him enough was enough as the prices are hiked up and it was a bit of a waste of money. None since. On our wedding anniversary he never failed to give me the same number of red roses as the years we had been married. This was wonderful, but the longer we were married the larger the bouquet became and the emptier his wallet. (It is nearly 43 years now). I mentioned this to him when we celebrated our silver wedding. None since. I do get a card though!

Reactions: SaskiaKC

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all

Cold here this morning, there's frost on the motorhome roof again.

Have a good day.

H :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
To celebrate my glorious victory (!) I found I deserved a treat and as some of you may remember I have had my covetous eye on a walnut console table for just about ages. So as I got my first nonD number and triumphed over the statin pushers I have just ordered one. :):D:)

Two to three weeks on delivery but will last far, far longer than a plate of Ritz crackers. I love everyone today!

Reactions: heh

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Guzzler congrats from me also, as to the question you asked me re tinnitus I am reading and re reading the study but brain not one 100% at moment but will get back to you when I have managed to make sense of it my self.:)

Reactions: Guzzler

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all

Off to Canterbury in the motorhome for the night, meeting up with friends. Alan has an MRI on his knee first at the Kent & Canterbury hospital at 10am.

Have a good day.

H :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope Alan's MRI is going well and that you two will have a lovely time with your friends. Safe trip home again! :)

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Afternoon all

Alan was MRI'd yesterday, results will be sent to the GP but while he was in the room he took his fitbit off and somehow lost the clasp, anyway new strap ordered.

We had a lovely evening with our friends but got a little bit tipsy (read a lot tipsy :wacky:), luckily no hangover this morning :happy:

The weather is lovely here today so we went for a nice walk along Dover prom after breakfast to blow the cobwebs away.