Diabetics R Us

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We are off on a well needed mini break in the morning. 2 days and 1 night away. Dinner, bed and breakfast at the Royal in Kirkby Lonsdale (cumberland/Westmoreland/Lancashire border) It is a gorgeous little market town with hundreds of independent shops, cafes and so on, plus a weekly market on Thursdays. For some reason our booking was upgraded to a superior double including a 4 poster bed. It overlooks the market square so we will have a lovely view from our bedroom window. We are going to spend Thursday looking round there with a great river walk thrown in, and tomorrow we are heading to Heysham Head, Morecambe and Hest Bank. All places we love. Morecambe is horrid in the town, but the sea front and pedestrian promenade are glorious. We really need this.

Have a great time.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Coincidently, my youngest XL son has finally convinced me that I am well enough and he and his XL brother are willing enough for us to adopt a dog. I have dithered on this for a good while, worried that I could not look after a pet or that when they (finally) leave home I would break my heart to see a pet leave with them.
Just one hurdle left, what breed to choose. Though I personally like mongrels cos they seem to be more robust than some of the thoroughbreds. My first choice would be a shepherd, youngest would like a husky (much too vocal!) and middle XL son 'says' he wants a dachshund !!

Well, a Dachshund might be easier to walk than a Husky but a Husky might not get underfoot so easily. A German Shepherd? Lovely if they have a level back.

Which would be easiest to housebreak?

Reactions: Guzzler

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm going to get another dog. Facebook is dangerous if you shouldn't get more pets than you already have. She'll be here for a trial period first, as she needs a place to stay as of next saturday. I won't keep her if we do not fall in love. Her name is Naimah (definitely not my choice), she's 3 years old and I am so in trouble with my friends when they find out...
52825772_2193325890724029_3821623563102715904_n.jpg

Hello, Naimah!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
That's wonderful! A dog is the best!
I'd look for one you fall in love with! If you have some mobility problems a smaller breed might be more practical. They won't pull as hard on the leash. I have 3, all of unknown breeds and all of them perfect! Have you and your sons thought about adopting a grown dog?

Oh! I would not have a puppy. It has to be a least a year old preferably older. I had considered a rescue Greyhound but it is a breed I've never had before.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
We are off on a well needed mini break in the morning. 2 days and 1 night away. Dinner, bed and breakfast at the Royal in Kirkby Lonsdale (cumberland/Westmoreland/Lancashire border) It is a gorgeous little market town with hundreds of independent shops, cafes and so on, plus a weekly market on Thursdays. For some reason our booking was upgraded to a superior double including a 4 poster bed. It overlooks the market square so we will have a lovely view from our bedroom window. We are going to spend Thursday looking round there with a great river walk thrown in, and tomorrow we are heading to Heysham Head, Morecambe and Hest Bank. All places we love. Morecambe is horrid in the town, but the sea front and pedestrian promenade are glorious. We really need this.

You've had a busy few months and deserve a break. Have a great time and I'd love to see you pictured with Eric. :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well, a Dachshund might be easier to walk than a Husky but a Husky might not get underfoot so easily. A German Shepherd? Lovely if they have a level back.

Which would be easiest to housebreak?

Any dog I get must first be relaxed with my electric wheelchair so ideally a dog already lead trained would be a bonus. No house training! Some of my carpets are beige!

That has just struck me, I could not train a dog to heel it would have to be a command to wheel lol

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh! I would not have a puppy. It has to be a least a year old preferably older. I had considered a rescue Greyhound but it is a breed I've never had before.

Ex greyhound racers are wonderful dogs. Despite their athleticism and size they need very little exercise and prefer to cosey up on a settee somewhere warm. Not much grooming required and eminently faithful.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No house training! Some of my carpets are beige!
Beige is good. It's roughly the samy color as pee :hilarious:
Why not visit a shelter and meet some dogs. Who knows what funny dog'll steal your heart!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
first be relaxed with my electric wheelchair so ideally a dog already lead trained would be a bonus.
Or you could get a really big dog and go out in a lightweight wheelchair pulled by your dog!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Beige is good. It's roughly the samy color as pee :hilarious:
Why not visit a shelter and meet some dogs. Who knows what funny dog'll steal your heart!

We plan to go to Leeds where they have a 'Dogs Trust' branch. Multiple visits required by them and tbh I would not want to get any animal on impulse so I'm happy with going a few times.

Reactions: Bluetit1802 and heh

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Or you could get a really big dog and go out in a lightweight wheelchair pulled by your dog!

Haha! My son joked that we should get a Husky and call him Mush. :D

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all

Alan comes home from his work trip (jolly) today, by the sounds of it he'll have to de-tox :rolleyes:

Have a wonderful Wednesday.

H :)

Reactions: Antje77

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Guzzler I have two friends who have Greyhounds and as @Bluetit1802 says I hear they are big couch potatoes.

May I suggest getting a breed that doesn't shed a lot? Although grooming a dog can be a great bonding time. My cat loves being groomed, and I always enjoyed grooming horses.

Do service dogs retire? You might find one that has worked with people in wheelchairs and knows all about it.
But there may be one you see and it will be mutual love at first sight. :)

Enjoy the process!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Sox was the best dog we ever had a Staff cross Labrador beautiful temperament and loving never barked unless she had a good reason she was just a lovely friendly dog and good companion for my grandson who doted on her. He was working on his lap top the other day in his student flat and found himself putting his hand out to stroke her head thinking she was there like she always was when he was on his laptop at home. I like to think maybe she was there in spirit any way.

Miss her loads

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My older cat (19yo) died about a year and a half ago (had to be put down). Not long afterwards I was lying on the bed with the KittenCat pictured in my avatar pic, giving her a back rub and not really thinking about much, let alone the MasCat who had recently died.

Suddenly I felt the MasCat jump up onto the bed to join us, as she had done many times while living with us. I knew that feeling well, the amount of impact of her 9-lb. body jumping silently up onto the bed. It was absolutely real.

I had never experienced anything like that before, nor have I since.

Another great avatar pic of you, @JohnEGreen . :)

Reactions: heh