Diabetics R Us

DawnOfTheZed

@JohnEGreen

Sorry to hear about your neighbour. They can sometimes chop out the C on pancreases but of course don't know about your neighbour's case, and her age will be a complication. Given her recent weight loss she may have had this awhile. So may not be good news for her.

Reactions: kitedoc

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@JohnEGreen

Sorry to hear about your neighbour. They can sometimes chop out the C on pancreases but of course don't know about your neighbour's case, and her age will be a complication. Given her recent weight loss she may have had this awhile. So may not be good news for her.

Her Chemotherapy was not improving things so she has discontinued it doctors agreed it was pointless so prognosis a few months may be three.

Sadly she also has had to have her little dog put to sleep as it was old poorly and she she felt it was the kindest thing to do as she is not going to be there to take care of him.

Feel so sad for her she loved that dog so much.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sailing weekend with captain Ray (one of my best friends) and 20 members of his family and friends coming up so naturally there's a group app with a lot of bantering. Most of those people I see only once a year and there's always a lot of laughing going on. Ray's niece sent:
" Antjeeee! Can I practice injecting insulin on you this weekend? We learned it in (nursing) school last monday and practiced on a sponge and I was best in class with medical math so I won't kill you with an overdose!"

Love it! Someone finally is very happy with my diabetes! :hilarious:

Now I'm sorry I really don't know what my insulin to carbs ratio's are, I'd love to see her try to work out how much insulin I need:bookworm:.
Well, at least she'll know more about diabetes than any others in her class and probably her teachers after this weekend :) . And she'll be the only one to have practiced sc injections in somebody's arm and through somebodies shirt!

I guess I'll take some extra lancets with me so she can practice testing on anyone who is willing to let her as well (hopefully we won't find any diabetics...)

Looking forward to the weekend! Now I only have to decide if I'm mean enough to yelp when she injects me the first time....

That sounds like so much fun! And you are so nice to let her practice on you.

I envy y'all the voyage, but in a good way, I've only been sailing once, on a lake, in Switzerland, and there were only two people and the boat -- I would not like being with a huge crowd, so I wish y'all a wonderful time without wishing I could go too.

Reactions: heh

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think I could do a blood draw but I'd like to stick people with injections. I'm weird like that. ;)

I would like to try the blood draw but not the injections.

Wanna go into partnership as a rescue team? lol

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Her Chemotherapy was not improving things so she has discontinued it doctors agreed it was pointless so prognosis a few months may be three.

Sadly she also has had to have her little dog put to sleep as it was old poorly and she she felt it was the kindest thing to do as she is not going to be there to take care of him.

I am so sorry, @JohnEGreen . Such a brave thing for her to do, to do the best thing for her dog.

Big hugs to you and to her and to your other friend.

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

DawnOfTheZed

Sad! ☹️

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a bit of an accident yesterday whilst out on a dog walk. I tripped over a kerb. My top half landed on bark in a shrubbery. My bottom half landed on the pavement. It was right outside Aldi. :arghh: We were crossing the entrance to the car park next to the shop entrance. Hubby hauled me to my feet, grabbed Ness's lead off me, and we walked off as fast as we could. (I didn't walk so much as hobble). I have a huge bruise on my knee and a graze on the other hip bone. I was reasonably fine for the rest of the day apart from a sore knee, but then the aches set in. I must have jarred my rib cage as well as my pride.

Anyways, all is well today.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Here's a kiss on the knee, hip, ribs and a big kiss on your pride of course!
I trust a kiss on hurt parts works as well for non-Dutch people as for us :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here's a kiss on the knee, hip, ribs and a big kiss on your pride of course!
I trust a kiss on hurt parts works as well for non-Dutch people as for us :)

It works very well for Americans. At least, for Americans who are 1/4 Dutch. ;)

Here are kisses to make it all better, @Bluetit1802 . I haven't fallen in awhile, but when I have ... ouch! And then, sore! :( I am sorry your top half and bottom half were bruised and scraped; glad your Other Half was there to haul you up again. :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So did I must be my American antecedents 6th great grand dad born in New York 6th great grand ma from Michigan.

I also have an American ancestor - my granddad. His English parents lived in Philadelphia for 10 years during which time he was born, along with several siblings. They all sailed back to the UK when he was 9 months old, and he never returned. Some of his brothers did, and one of those stayed there forever. I doubt they were drinking Starbucks coffee though. Other than that, every single one of my ancestors in all lines, going back to the 1500's were English.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
When you start looking you never now what is going to fall out of the old family tree like I found a family connection to probably the most hated man in all of the USA's history his first name being Benedict.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a wonderful day of sailing, barefoot, t-shirt and short pants. 7 days ago it was snowing!
My 'personal nurse' loves practicing injecting insulin so much that I ended up in the idiotic situation that I seriously tried to figure out how much bread I needed to eat with the bbq to allow her to inject me  when already on the lowish side and slowly dropping :hilarious:
Perfect excuse to eat extra bread and it tasted wonderful!
I don't particularly like the part where she lifts my shirt for all to see when injecting but she does have a point saying she's not allowed to inject through clothes so bare bellied it is :wideyed:. At least it's for a good cause.
I think by now she's tested almost everyone's bg at random moments but usually after food and beer and happy to say no one seems to have diabetes. The funny part is that they were all in the 6's so I was the lowest after food and beer :p

Tomorrow we'll try to find a nice sand bank to let the ship 'fall dry' . I'll try to remember to make a picture to show you guys :)

Reactions: heh

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Useless factoid of the day. I have listened to so many lectures and presentations by boffins from Australia and New Zealand that I can now recognise the differences in the accents. There, I can wipe that from my bucket list ;).

Reactions: Pipp

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Hope you've all had a good Easter weekend and enjoyed the wonderful weather we've had. We ended up at Dieppe, a lovely old harbour port with lots of eating & drinking places. There was a huge market on Saturday which kept us happy for a couple of hours, we sampled some peppers stuffed with tuna - deeelish. We were naughty one morning and had a petit dejourner - croissant, baguette, butter, jam, coffee & orange juice :oops:

Sorry to hear about your neighbour @JohnEGreen and about your fall @Bluetit1802

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all

Up at stupid o'clock here :confused:

Hope all are well.

Have a good day.

H :)