JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Dartmoor prison is a very foreboding place when seen from the outside especially on a foggy day and not any better when seen from the inside either.

I think probably the tee shirt means you'r on the run or just have broken out for the day to go to the pub.

One thing it does have is an American cemetery which is not widely known as many of the prisoners of war from the American war of independence where kept there and sadly many died there.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Reading about Dartmoor prison always makes me think of the convict Selden in The Hound of the Baskervilles.
I've never heard of it (Dartmoor prison that is) but my aunt told me she was impressed by the museum and also told me those t-shirts are in use by convicts on day release.
I'll have a Googly morning :) . Perfect, as a sudden mysteriously painful wrist prevented my plans of sleeping late, and also prevents me from doing something useful.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes I see day release I think was introduced there last year sometime there have been stories over the years of prisoners being seen on odd days in local pubs.

When I was going there day release was not an option.

The prisoners used to produce sub assemblies for the TV factory I used to work in and on a few occasions I was required to go there and train up some of them in assembly skills wiring and soldering that sort of thing even so some of the guys were pretty scary people.

But they would say don't worry if there's trouble it's the screws we are going for not you. What a relief.:)

Oh forgot we went to the museum there a couple of years back as grandson was interested and wanted to see it.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
https://www.americanheritage.com/paradox-dartmoor-prison

"Christmas Eve, 1814, at the moment when the treaty ending the second war between England and the United States was being signed in Ghent, over five thousand American sailors were confined in the huge stone prisons constructed near the little village of Princetown in the middle of Dartmoor. These sailors were the privateersmen who had shocked the British navy in the War of 1812, the merchant seamen who had carried the American flag from Riga to Canton, and the men who, when impressed into the British service, had helped arouse American opinion to war. Their homes were in Salem, New York, Baltimore, New Orleans, and numerous other American ports; among them were some nine hundred black Americans."

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
https://www.britainexpress.com/counties/devon/churches/plymouth-minster.htm

The main entrance into Prysten House St Andrews Church Plymouth is known as the Door of Unity, in honour of the close connections between Plymouth and the United States. The most obvious connection, of course, comes from the fact that the first 'Pilgrim Fathers' sailed from Plymouth, but there is another, lesser known connection, symbolised by the simple white memorial set into the wall of Prysten House. The memorial is to Captain William Allen and midshipman Richard Delphey, American sailors killed in action during the closing stages of the War of 1812. The sailors were serving with an American ship that engaged with a British naval vessel outside Plymouth. Delphey died in the battle, while Allen survived for a brief time and was treated by a British surgeon named George Magrath. Both Magrath and the people of Plymouth treated the Americans kindly, and naval troops stationed in Plymouth buried the pair at St Andrews with full military honours. In 1930 a permanent memorial was set up by the American organisation, 'Daughters of 1812', with an inscription gving thanks for the 'humane and chivalrous action of the English people'.

Unfortunately that kindness was not found in Dartmoor.

Door of Unity.jpg

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've never heard of it (Dartmoor prison that is) but my aunt told me she was impressed by the museum and also told me those t-shirts are in use by convicts on day release.
I'll have a Googly morning :) . Perfect, as a sudden mysteriously painful wrist prevented my plans of sleeping late, and also prevents me from doing something useful.

A gentle hug for the wrist pain and the mystery of it. I am just getting over a sudden mysteriously painful shoulder that started to hurt last Thursday.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I enjoyed reading about your grandma so much. Thank you for posting that story.
Elsewhere there's been some posts about the poem "When I am an old woman I shall wear purple" and all the cool things the woman will do ...
Now I like the idea of wearing a powder blue coat! Your grandma sounds like an amazing woman. :)

... Now I think of it, when my mother was getting up into her 70s she made a lovely sort of heathery-powder-blue coat that was her all-weather coat. She was a very sprightly lady too.

There is nothing like colourful clothes to keep the spirits up. For me, the more colour the better. I didn't wait till I became old. I have always worn bright clothes.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is nothing like colourful clothes to keep the spirits up. For me, the more colour the better. I didn't wait till I became old. I have always worn bright clothes.

Me too. Mostly primary colors until recent years when I have added wild cherry and such combinations as fuchsia with lime green, and yellow with black. :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Packers were the first pro football team I ever heard of. :)

And talking of colors ... sort of ... Is there any special significance to the name The Rose Reviv'd? I have come across the name in a novel about a narrow boat and in another featuring a pub.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The Packers were the first pro football team I ever heard of. :)

And talking of colors ... sort of ... Is there any special significance to the name The Rose Reviv'd? I have come across the name in a novel about a narrow boat and in another featuring a pub.

I'm not familiar with that novel.

But there is The Rose Revived Inn where Oliver Cromwell stopped off on his travels and ordered a glass of wine into which he dropped a faded rose he had been wearing the rose revived in the wine and the name of the Inn was changed to The Rose Revived.

It is beside the river Thames on the oldest bridge on the river at Newbridge

Also the rose is mystically a symbolic of the divine and may be some thing to do with King Richard and the revival or resurrection of the white rose of the house of York.

31wgpub.jpg.gallery.jpg

Reactions: Antje77

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Red and green should never be seen except upon a gypsy queen, or so the saying goes.

Sometimes it's a fairy queen, and sometimes an Irish queen.

Maybe the revived rose could be when the Tudor Rose came into being. Following the Wars of the Roses when the red rose of Lancashire won the day over the white rose of Yorkshire, then later the white rose and the red rose were combined to make the Tudor Rose.

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Today my old girl passed her MOT. Not bad for a 19 year old. I am delighted, because whenever she fails it will be a sad goodbye to her I'm afraid. For those not in the know, the MOT is the test all cars aged 3 or over must pass before they are allowed on the road. I am really pleased.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations to her and to you, for keeping her in such good shape! :)

My old Chevy died its final death at 18 after a long illness. It literally kept me going until its last gasp.

1994_chevrolet_cavalier_coupe_vl_fq_oem_1_300.jpg

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Red and green should never be seen except upon a gypsy queen, or so the saying goes.

Sometimes it's a fairy queen, and sometimes an Irish queen.

Maybe the revived rose could be when the Tudor Rose came into being. Following the Wars of the Roses when the red rose of Lancashire won the day over the white rose of Yorkshire, then later the white rose and the red rose were combined to make the Tudor Rose.
I wear a white rose basically in memoriam of my cousin Richard III

Though I could wear the red rose in memoram my cousin of Henry VII

Or maybe I should wear the Tudor rose for both :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My mother's rose garden had yellow roses, white roses, pink roses, and roses in every shade of red a rose could be. My favorite was her Amarillo, the "yellow rose of Texas" (also one of her favorite songs).
rose-113735_1920-300x166.jpg

Reactions: Bluetit1802

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My father was a lorry driver for some years and he used to often take me with him on trips these often lasted days or weeks as he used to find his own loads, One thing I remember is barreling along in the huge articulated lorry he drove with him singing the yellow rose of Texas at the top of his voice while rolling a cigarette one handed among my fondest memories of those times and that song evokes a lot of emotion for me.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
In the 50's cinemas used to run Saturday morning films and entertainment for young children. We had community singing with the words on the screen and we all sang along with gusto. One of the songs was always the Yellow Rose of Texas, along with Shut the Door they're Coming Through the Window, and other similar songs. There was always a short film, normally a Laurel and Hardy or something of that ilk, then a longer film. There were also guests on the stage. I remember one in particular - Lenny the Lion. I joined his fan club and got a big shiny badge. It all cost 6 old pennies plus the price of an ice cream and a penny for the bus fare to get there. Hundreds of children went. No adults. It was whilst waiting in the queue to get in one Saturday morning that some nasty boy told us there is no such person as Father Christmas. He was obviously wrong. Such innocent fun - and safe. We went on the bus on own own. No lifts from parents in those days. Happy days.

Reactions: JohnEGreen