JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I do remember those Saturday morning matinees used to go every weekend as an only child my gran used to insist I did not go on my own so a young girl a friend of the family who lived down the street and was a year or two older than I would go with me great fun.

The only thing that marred it at times was the fact that the guy who used to stand at the door organising things I remember he used to wear a really ornate uniform but he had a curvature of the spine which gave him a hunched back and some the kids were in the habit of sneaking up on him to touch his hump for good luck I think, I thought that was unkind and it would upset me.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a pretty new word for you today: erysipelas :)

It's in my wrist and it hurts a lot. Trying to juggle the timing of the antibiotics, diabetes and my rather unorganised life will be an interesting one for the next 7 days: I can't eat from an hour before the tablet to 2 hours afterwards, 3 times a day.

Still, I like the taste of that word and I need to find out how to pronounce it :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My father was a lorry driver for some years and he used to often take me with him on trips these often lasted days or weeks as he used to find his own loads, One thing I remember is barreling along in the huge articulated lorry he drove with him singing the yellow rose of Texas at the top of his voice while rolling a cigarette one handed among my fondest memories of those times and that song evokes a lot of emotion for me.

Me too.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder if Sting has a dog ...

71498030_178171763348649_9020082623325667328_n.jpg

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I actually thought about this last night (it was already today here on DCUK, 9 October) I wonder if he would still be here, had his life been allowed to play out ...

Reactions: JohnEGreen

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Canadian political party leaders are on TV this morning AGAIN. One just said Canada will end poverty in the next decade by continuing to send money to foreign countries.
I cannot believe there is an adult alive on the earth in this millennium who says (let alone believes) that any government is going to end poverty. Canada and the UK and some other countries have done a good job by having health care covered by taxes, but no government is going to end poverty unless someone like Robin Hood is elected to office. Or Dennis Moore. I mean, we do need more lupines, right?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just because ...

Just what I needed!
Having a pretty dark mood tonight for no apparent reason so this is perfect :)

By the way, I still regularly annoy birthdaying facebook friends with cats licking birthday cakes :hilarious:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@JohnEGreen
t4617.gif

Thank you for telling me about the weasel-and-bird and the cat-cake videos. :cat:
I have been in a pretty dark place myself recently. Then today I got 2 phone calls from 2 friends, an e-mail from another, and PMs from two others. It is highly unusual for me to get even one message from anyone; to receive so many in one day felt like Christmas and my birthday all rolled into one.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: Antje77

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 can you please tell me how to pronounce this Dutch artist's name?
Henriette Ronner Knip

I saw some of her cat paintings online today. I also saw a picture of her and she reminded me so much of my great-grandmother it was amazing.

small-archival-canvas-15736-16133-fm400.jpg

https://www.encore-editions.com/a-cat-with-her-kittens-by-henriette-ronner-knip/

Looks like we have lost about 2/5 of our thread group. :(
Ooh, I went to a tiny little exhibition of her paintings in Vianen this year. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv9SsaWnvNP/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet . I love her work. :)

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 can you please tell me how to pronounce this Dutch artist's name?
Henriette Ronner Knip
Henriette can be pronounced in many different ways in the Netherlands, either French like, English like, a hybrid, or mostly unlike any of those languages, so you'd have to ask her friends :)
My mothers name was Harriët, with the emphasis on the 'et' part and nor on 'Har' as in English. Rhymes with 'bar-brie-met', with a Scottish like 'r'.

Ronner rhymes with honour, again with the rolling r, and Knip with flip.

I don't like the painting, makes me think of Dolores Umbridge :hilarious:

Last edited:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Henriette can be pronounced in many different ways in the Netherlands, either French like, English like, a hybrid or mostly unlike any of those languages, so you'd have to ask her friends :)
My mothers name was Harriët, with the emphasis on the 'et' part and nor on 'Har' as in English. Rhymes with 'bar-brie-met', with a Scottish like 'r'.

Ronner rhymes with honour, again with the rolling r, and Knip with flip.

I don't like the painting, makes me think of Dolores Umbridge :hilarious:

Thank you. The narrator in the video I saw pronounced her name Henry-ETT RONN-er NIP. The narrator was not Dutch so I was just curious about the pronunciation (think of the different ways people pronounce Van Gogh and Picasso). :)

Reactions: Antje77