Diabetics R Us

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't mind what you call it really (we call it tosti) but I'd love one any day! Not a good idea, though :(

And @JohnEGreen sometimes when I watch "Frasier" they mention something called a Monte Cristo sandwich. The only Monte Cristo I know is the fictional count, and the island from which he took his name. So one day I Googled it. It's a grilled ham-and-cheese sandwich.
So why, I wondered, didn't they just call it a ham-and-cheese sandwich? :)

Reactions: Antje77

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you get statins pushed down your throat by your doctor?
Luckily no. They don't even wants to talk to me other than finding out what my HbA1c is and saying 'no action' despite my consultant saying he suspects steatohepatitis and I have developed high blood pressure.
I tried to open a conversation on the phone after the first visit where he would only send me for tests but was shut down. My health is pretty much in my own and Dr Google's hands unless I win the lottery.
Statins are only of use for middle-aged men who have had a heart attack as far as I have read unless you are a pharmaceutical Co.
Mum was tried on 3 different sorts and statred to suffer neuropathic side-effects and told her GP she wasnt taking any more. I think my current GP, despite my other reservations, is not averse to challenging prescription guidelines and is well-versed in pharmacology.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
And @JohnEGreen sometimes when I watch "Frasier" they mention something called a Monte Cristo sandwich. The only Monte Cristo I know is the fictional count, and the island from which he took his name. So one day I Googled it. It's a grilled ham-and-cheese sandwich.
So why, I wondered, didn't they just call it a ham-and-cheese sandwich? :)

I once asked for a grilled cheese and ham sandwich in a little place near the harbour in Lorient Brittany.

The slices of bread were about an inch and a half thick there was a huge amount of cheese and ham involved and it was one of the best meals I have ever had to call it a grilled cheese and ham sandwich just doesn't seem to do it justice.

Such things are just a fond memory now.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The slices of bread were about an inch and a half thick there was a huge amount of cheese and ham involved and it was one of the best meals
You have me drooling here, and dinner was only an hour and a half ago....

A thick, fresh slice of good tasty fluffy bread with butter and something good on top, and then biting into it without a care in the world... Oh!
And perhaps a second slice, or even a third, still without a care...

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I'm sorry didn't mean to stir up old memories and cravings.:sorry:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm sorry didn't mean to stir up old memories and cravings.:sorry:

Oh, but I enjoyed thinking about those lovely foods!

Me too. :)

t4614.gif

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ooooh, looks like I'll have my holiday in the UK this year! First 'real' holiday in many many years, very exciting!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Whereabouts in the UK? When?
Roughly in the southern half of your country but not too far west I think. I'll travel by car, which is expensive, but it also means I can bring my tent and opt for camping places instead of hotels, which saves money and the annoyance of having paid for breakfasts that will mess up my diabetes. I don't even like having breakfast, so I'll bring a small cooker and a kettle to make coffee.
It will be a mini roadtrip, both visiting some friends and do sightseeing and stuff you're supposed to do on holiday :)
I think It will be a 6 to 8 day trip, not sure when yet. Some time in spring or autumn I don't do well when it's too hot.

Anything I absolutely must see, try or eat in that area?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Roughly in the southern half of your country but not too far west I think. I'll travel by car, which is expensive, but it also means I can bring my tent and opt for camping places instead of hotels, which saves money and the annoyance of having paid for breakfasts that will mess up my diabetes. I don't even like having breakfast, so I'll bring a small cooker and a kettle to make coffee.
It will be a mini roadtrip, both visiting some friends and do sightseeing and stuff you're supposed to do on holiday :)
I think It will be a 6 to 8 day trip, not sure when yet. Some time in spring or autumn I don't do well when it's too hot.

Anything I absolutely must see, try or eat in that area?
Come up North in summer it rarely gets too hot up here and the Lake district and Yorkshire dales are stunning and camping friendly
The people are very friendly too!!:angelic:
Carol

lindisfel

Expert
My Q-Risk score is done every year at my surgery and entered on my test results in my on-line records.
I had a good laugh at the Qrisk on line.
I was that sick it wouldn't do it and told me to consult my doctor. Its all a big joke.

Well, I have got to eighty and God knows when I'll die and that's all that matters.
:)
D.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Come up North in summer it rarely gets too hot up here and the Lake district and Yorkshire dales are stunning and camping friendly
The people are very friendly too!!:angelic:
Carol
Sounds great, but the friends I want to visit live in the south! Too hot for me is roughly anything above 20 Celsius...
Yes, but you could need a lot of waterproofing. I live near the Northern fells in Lakeland.
D.
Waterproofing is never a problem. While I do like nice weather, a bit (or a lot) of rain has never ruined any activity for me. I've been a sailor on big sailing ships in Dutch weather for years, I think I know a bit about enjoying yourself outside, rain or not :)