Diabetics type 2 help needed

Brishal

Hi

I would like to share my case of diabetics and have some queries on that, please help.

Case: I got diagnosed with diabetic last year with Hba1c 10.2
I started taking pills there after and recently when I moved to Finland I got a lab test again after 1 year and my diabetes is still very high with Hba1c 7.6.
The test was done on 20-Sept-2021.
My diet was not very good before the start of September with some carbs like
cake, drink, chocolate, fried items and no exercise.

From 06-Sept-2021 I have started diet below with exercise
morning - Fruit plate - tea/coffee (without sugar) fruits like - Banana, kiwi, apple, grapes, orange juice
afternoon - Rice/chapati , pulse, chicken curry
Night - same as afternoon with half quantity
Whisky - once in week , 180 ml
Gym - 1.5 hours ( burn around 300-400 calories) - evening time

sugar blood test in Sept (no medicines taken)
morning - 160 mg/dl
2 hours after lunch - 200 mg/dl
1 hour after gym - 100 mg/dl
2 hour after dinner - 180 mg/dl

This result fluctuates little on a daily basis based on diet but almost the same.

Query:

1. Should I take medicines along with diet and exercise to reduce sugar level?
2. possible that I take medicine for some time and once sugar become stable I depend on diet and exercise
3. Even i eat very less at night and after gap of 10 hours, sugar still it high at 160 mg/dl . why is it so?

I want to depend more on exercise and diet rather on medicines (short time medicines is fine), please suggest.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

I would like to share my case of diabetics and have some queries on that, please help.

I started taking pills there after and recently when I moved to Finland I got a lab test again after 1 year and my diabetes is still very high with Hba1c 7.6.

morning - Fruit plate - tea/coffee (without sugar) fruits like - Banana, kiwi, apple, grapes, orange juice

morning - 160 mg/dl

This result fluctuates little on a daily basis based on diet but almost the same.

Query:

2. possible that I take medicine for some time and once sugar become stable I depend on diet and exercise
3. Even i eat very less at night and after gap of 10 hours, sugar still it high at 160 mg/dl . why is it so?

I want to depend more on exercise and diet rather on medicines (short time medicines is fine), please suggest.
Hello @Brishal ,

Well, there's good news, and there's bad news... So for question one: You're eating an absolutely staggering amount of carbs. That's both the good and bad news. While a lot of what you eat is considered "healthy", for people like us, who don't process carbs well, it's pretty unhealthy. And no amount of vitamins in especially the fruit, will make up for that. The good news being that there is loads of room for improvement, diet-wise! So if you change your diet to low carb (forget about rice, chapati, pulses, and any fruit other than a hand full of berries). You can ignore counting calories: it's the carbs we can't handle, and if you fix that part of your diet, everything else will improve. Likely without requiring medication. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ should help you get your diet straight.

As for the second question, if you change your diet, odds are you won't need medication. By the time whatever you'd be put on takes effect, you'd probably already not need it anymore.

Question three, well... Like I said, you do eat a massive amount of carbs... So yeah, that'll leave your numbers high. And if the 10 hours, are the times between your evening meal and the first morning readings, there's also the liver dumping glucose in the morning to consider (It's called Dawn Phenomenon). Your liver has a LOT of glucose stored and is letting it flow freely when you wake. If you go low carb, that'll eventually taper off as the stores are emptied.
If you feel uncomfortably high, try and have a walk after a meal. Slow and steady exercise should help you burn off some of the excess sugar.

Good luck eh!
Jo

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your diet is still pretty carb heavy.
Fruit, rice, chapati, pulses are all relatively high carb food items.
Meat, fish above ground vegetables and some berries (but in a limited amount) would be better things to eat.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with what is posted above I would add that you test your levels before a meal and then 2 hours after ,the readings will tell you how the food you ate affected your levels
Carol

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Check out headbangerskitchen.com for alternatives.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

morning - 160 mg/dl

Query:

A LOT of carbs. As a T2 you have to simply ignore everything the media, friends, and the health services tell you about "healthy eating". Instead (for me) eating fat is good, carbs are the devil, and I have no idea how many calories I eat.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I agree with the previous comments: except for the tea, coffee and whisky, your diet is extremely high in carbohydrates.
If you reduce the carbohydrates, your blood readings will improve. Eat eggs, cheese, meat, fish, green vegetables, cauliflower- that sort of thing instead.

Z_e_u_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

morning - 160 mg/dl

Query:

Hi Brishal,

Chances are you may be able to do it without medications, if you give it a try.

My Hba1C was 10.9 at diagnosis (last October), so very similar to yours.
I started taking metformin straight away and after 2 months it was down to 6.7.

I was advised to eat fruit (apple and pears) and avoid grapes and bananas by the nurse.

When I found this forum and learnt that many people live well without medications I thought I’d give it a try and against medical advice I stopped taking medications and followed a LCHF diet + I started to check my BS pre/post meals as advised by many people on here (I wasn’t doing that before as I was told there was no need).

When I started checking my BS I found out that apples were really bad for me! And only recently I found out that grapes do nothing to my BS! (We are all different and tolerate the same food in different ways).

My Hba1C went down to 34 last May and to 32 last August (despite eating more and introducing new food to my diet). No exercise as I had cataracts too (which very likely diabetes caused).

My BS is now under control and all without medications.

I trust people on this forum way more than my GP as their advises have revealed priceless and it did wonders to my health!

So stick around and soak up all the good pointers you will find on here and try what works for you. It’s a matter of trial and error but you will get there, but if you don’t try you’ll never know and will be stuck with medications for the rest of your life and perhaps even move to inject insulin down the line.

I know now that it can be done ;)