Diagnosed 1 week ago.

Well, what a huge rollercoaster of emotions it's been. I have type 2 and am currently in Spain so I'm struggling to find out what is available for diabetics here. I had the first appointment because I suspected something was up with the litres and litres of water I was drinking, urinating 5 or 6 times at night, always feeling hungry and tired, plus to top it all off I started suffering from thrush. The trush made me realise what I had before being diagnosed. The internet is sometimes a wonderful thing.

My emotions are all over the place, one minute thinking that it's all quite manageable and the next feeling completely overwhelmed with all the changes I have to get used to. Diet being the main change really, love my food and will miss it greatly.

I've done hours and hours of research and have answered almost all of my own questions, bar one...... I can't find anything that explains something that has come as a massive surprise, maybe someone here can enlighten me. I have always needed glasses to drive, my long distance vision was blurry. In the last couple of years I've begun to have to hold books or anything with print on it, at arms length to be able to read it. Today I got in the car, put my long distance vision glasses on, took them off, put them back on and realised with shock that I don't need them anymore. But, I can't see the bloody computer monitor now without reading glasses. ???????? how? what?why? no way!

So my eyes have seriously altered? overnight. Can't see anything close to me but my long vision is perfect. Anyone throw some light on this please.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Your eyes will change over time regardless. Diabetics have the added burdens until their blood sugars are under control and all should right itself

Reactions: Tish Tash Tosh

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum. Did you make any changes to your diet or activity or anything before your eyes changed? Are you regularly checking your blood sugar levels yet- If not I recommend that you start. Those readings may provide some idea as to whether the eye change is caused by the blood sugar or whether there is something else going on. I also recommend you get your eyes checked- diabetes can effect the eyes and like anything the early those changes are caught the better.

Anyway welcome!

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot to add the dollar coaster of emotions is normal- I too sometimes feel like I've got a way forward and I can manage and other times feel overwhelmed and sad at the food I miss. I just focus on the fact that the complications of diabetes means I could miss my sight or my limbs. The people here have helped me so much and I am sure will help you too.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I also had all the symptoms when on holiday abroad shortly before diagnosis. We were on holiday with a nurse who spotted the problem! Keeping the carbs way down is the main start point and then take advice from the GP. Remember that although the carbs must be kept down you don't need to worry about proteins or fats so have eggs and bacon for breakfast and so on. Wine and spirits are also OK in moderation.

Thank you for all your responses :) in answer to some questions. I'm testing my sugar levels every day and altered my diet a week ago to a pretty strict low carb diet. Will probably go on a total Keto diet soon as it appeals to me. A week ago I was tested at 324 Blood sugar (eu numbers sorry I don't know the UK numbers, I think you divide by 18?) and this morning I was on 141 so the sugar level has dropped quickly. I've also been given insulin to inject every evening and of course Metformin which seems to be the standard pill for diabetics. I had an appointment at the Dr this morning and she told me to make another appointment to get the back of my eyes checked but unfortunately the person that does it here in Spain is away on holiday till the end of September so I have to wait.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Watch out for going too low if you have been given insulin and particularly if you are taking a mixed insulin or were told to inject a fixed number of units.
A change in the focal length of your lenses - the ones inside your eyes, is absolutely normal if you change your carb intake from high, aka normal, to low aka safe levels. After a while things could return to normal - but if you have had high glucose for some time you might find that your last pair of glasses is no longer correct for you. It is nothing to do with the check for retinopathy, which can also be caused by high blood glucose.

Watch out for going too low if you have been given insulin and particularly if you are taking a mixed insulin or were told to inject a fixed number of units.
A change in the focal length of your lenses - the ones inside your eyes, is absolutely normal if you change your carb intake from high, aka normal, to low aka safe levels. After a while things could return to normal - but if you have had high glucose for some time you might find that your last pair of glasses is no longer correct for you. It is nothing to do with the check for retinopathy, which can also be caused by high blood glucose.

I've had the same prescription for the last 20 years :) I'm going to enjoy the perfect long distance vision whilst I can but actually look forward to it getting back to normal as it was no problem sticking them on for driving, but my nearsighted vision is greatly impaired now and it's a pain having to pick up reading glasses just to make dinner or read my computer.

I've been given instructions to inject 20 units every evening. 22 units if above 150 bg and 16 units if below 70. For three days until it improves. But to have a sweet drink if it falls below 70 and still continue to inject.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Seriously - continue to inject insulin but drink something sugary? That would flash up red lights for me - though I am just an interested bystander in all this - Just hope it doesn't result in flashing blue lights - 150 equals the UK 8.33 70 is the UK 3.8.
BG of under 3.8 and still inject insulin? And then go to bed? Or is that before your evening meal? I do hope that is what is meant.
The type ones have the simple instruction of being at 5 to drive - which translates to 90, and 4 is the floor - a minimum of 72.

Seriously - continue to inject insulin but drink something sugary? That would flash up red lights for me - though I am just an interested bystander in all this - Just hope it doesn't result in flashing blue lights - 150 equals the UK 8.33 70 is the UK 3.8.
BG of under 3.8 and still inject insulin? And then go to bed? Or is that before your evening meal? I do hope that is what is meant.
The type ones have the simple instruction of being at 5 to drive - which translates to 90, and 4 is the floor - a minimum of 72.

I was told that the insulin I inject is most effective 12 hours after I inject. I wasn't told to inject and then eat dinner. I follow the Spanish times for meals here and my main meal would be about 3pm, a light supper at maybe 9 or 10 but that really is only a snack. She did say that I should eat little and often, 5 or 6 times a day is best but to avoid all sugar and have a low carb diet in order to lose weight. Still thinking about Keto, not sure really....

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told that the insulin I inject is most effective 12 hours after I inject. I wasn't told to inject and then eat dinner. I follow the Spanish times for meals here and my main meal would be about 3pm, a light supper at maybe 9 or 10 but that really is only a snack. She did say that I should eat little and often, 5 or 6 times a day is best but to avoid all sugar and have a low carb diet in order to lose weight. Still thinking about Keto, not sure really....

Hello, I don’t know what insulin you are on but it is dangerous to do low carb or keto if you cannot adjust your insulin for it. If it’s basal/bolus regime, this will give you more flexibility in adjusting your insulin according to your meals. So less hypos and hypers. However if it’s a mixed insulin where you inject once or twice a day, this doesn’t give you any room to adjust for low carb or keto.
All hypos should be treated, test again to make sure your blood glucose went up before injecting again, then go on about your day with your meal.

Hello, I don’t know what insulin you are on but it is dangerous to do low carb or keto if you cannot adjust your insulin for it. If it’s basal/bolus regime, this will give you more flexibility in adjusting your insulin according to your meals. So less hypos and hypers. However if it’s a mixed insulin where you inject once or twice a day, this doesn’t give you any room to adjust for low carb or keto.
All hypos should be treated, test again to make sure your blood glucose went up before injecting again, then go on about your day with your meal.

The name on the packet is Lantas. I turn the dial to 20 and inject. I honestly have no idea what the hell I'm doing really. Fortunately I understand the Spanish Doctor as I'm bilingual and the instructions were as above. I'm still shocked that as a type 2 I'm injecting insulin as I thought that was only for type 1, mind you, I didn't even know there were different types of insulin....

Thanks for the tips regarding Keto, also didn't know that it wasn't advisable. I can't do low carb either? how do I lose weight :(

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The name on the packet is Lantas. I turn the dial to 20 and inject. I honestly have no idea what the hell I'm doing really. Fortunately I understand the Spanish Doctor as I'm bilingual and the instructions were as above. I'm still shocked that as a type 2 I'm injecting insulin as I thought that was only for type 1, mind you, I didn't even know there were different types of insulin....

Thanks for the tips regarding Keto, also didn't know that it wasn't advisable. I can't do low carb either? how do I lose weight :(
Grey pen? Lantus is a long acting “basal” insulin that lasts 16-24 hours and gives you a background level in your system. Many type ones use it in conjunction with a fast acting insulin taken at mealtimes.

If you do choose to lower your carbs, you may need to reduce your dose, it’s suggested to change doses by 1-2 unit increments, and then let the new dose have three days to settle in before making further changes.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

There are some type 2s on insulin. Lantus is a long acting insulin, it’s not used to cover for carbs. Too much lantus can cause hypos, which some have experienced. But if the dosage is right, it doesn’t. You can lose weight but with extra caution on keto or low carb. You might need to contact your doctor on reducing doses if you decide to do low carb or keto.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As I said, I have no experience with insulin, just the advice to still inject if under the lower blood glucose level considered to be hypo by type ones - I just thought WHAT!!!! as I read it.
From the extra info you give - now I wonder if you have had a test for insulin production - many type twos are overproducing and it is their resistance to it which is the problem. The resistance tends to alter during the day - mine was far higher in the mornings.
If you don't need more insulin but are injecting it you can't really go low carb - particularly with those instructions.
As you are seeing much lower numbers I would really recommend further consultation, I can see no logic in finding you have gone below 4 and need to have a sweet drink and still injecting insulin.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As I said, I have no experience with insulin, just the advice to still inject if under the lower blood glucose level considered to be hypo by type ones - I just thought WHAT!!!! as I read it.
From the extra info you give - now I wonder if you have had a test for insulin production - many type twos are overproducing and it is their resistance to it which is the problem. The resistance tends to alter during the day - mine was far higher in the mornings.
If you don't need more insulin but are injecting it you can't really go low carb - particularly with those instructions.
As you are seeing much lower numbers I would really recommend further consultation, I can see no logic in finding you have gone below 4 and need to have a sweet drink and still injecting insulin.
Lantus is a long acting background insulin, which takes many hours to start lowering levels. You need to take it regardless of your bg.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

It's quite a simple concept really, if you are taking Lantus then that is a long acting insulin that is meant to keep your background insulin steady over a 24 hour period, it is nothing to do with the insulin you take with meals although it all works in tandem. A type 1 MUST have that background insulin on board or their levels will rise sometimes to a dangerous level. Even if a person ate nothing they still need that long acting background insulin. Effectively there are 2 types of insulin that a 'normal' body produces, one that goes into action following a meal and one that acts to combat your body when it releases glucose throughout the day. Obviously both types may need adjusting as you go along especially for a newly diagnosed person.

I had a blood test with 2 pages of results but couldn't tell you if it was for insulin production as I don't understand the names/references. I did have instructions to make an appointment in two weeks time and to keep recording my bg levels every morning in the meantime so maybe the doctor will adjust the dose, no idea.