Diagnosed 3 months

ActonPete

Hi

I was diagnosed 15th Jan this year with a reading of 100 on blood test and had all the symptoms. was actually Diabetic 12 months ago with a reading of 77 but Dr never rang me has I was promised once results came back.

Had my follow up blood tests 10 days ago but again nurse hasn't yet rang me to tell me how I'm doing was told it would have been earlier this week.

I have been reading a lot of advice on here since which as been very helpful.

I have been doing really well and seeing good numbers on monitor ranging between 5.8 and 7.2 and very strict with diet except the odd treat once a month (a meal out). I'm taking 4x 500mg Metformin, 1x 20mg Atorvastatin and 1x 5mg Amlodipine. Lost just over 2 stone in weight.

Was wondering if anyone has experienced the one problem I've had 3 times since taking the medication. I come over dizzy, light headed, confused, sleepy and get very warm and sweat on the head and become clammy. The last time it happened yesterday sitting at desk at work I noticed my heart rate (i use a Fitbit) suddenly drop from around a normal for me of 75 to 50 within less than a couple of mins at one point it was dropping 1 beat a second, it then will suddenly start to climb slowly back to my normal 75 and I feel fine again except for a little light headed for the rest of day. This feeling lasts for around 15 to 20 mins when I don't feel well and is now starting to concern me has to what it can be. I will mention it to nurse when she finally rings but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this with the medication?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been doing really well and seeing good numbers on monitor ranging between 5.8 and 7.2
Well done!
Was wondering if anyone has experienced the one problem I've had 3 times since taking the medication. I come over dizzy, light headed, confused, sleepy and get very warm and sweat on the head and become clammy.
It can be all sorts of issues of course, but considering your medication it could be a 'false hypo', so not a real hypo in the sense that your blood glucose is too low, but if your body is used to higher levels, normal levels can feel as too low.
It could also be the Amlopidine, which lowers blood pressure. Symptoms of low BP can be similar to symptoms of low BG.
Or it might be something else altogether of course.
Dr never rang me has I was promised once results came back.

Had my follow up blood tests 10 days ago but again nurse hasn't yet rang
Are you in the UK? If so, you should be able to get access to your results online, this doesn't sound like your GP's practice is very good at communicating.
Have they apologised for forgetting to tell you you have diabetes?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I would second @Antje77 's suggestion that you attempt to get online access to your records. Given you are on blood pressure meds, it may be worth getting a home blood pressure meter, as the weight loss may mean that your blood pressure has reduced and readings at a surgery are notorious for being higher than at home (stress from the surgery aka white coat syndrome).

If you get the strange symptoms again you could do a blood test to see if it is blood sugar related, and if you can access a blood pressure meter from somewhere you could check that out too.

Well done on the dramatic improvements in weight and blood sugar levels.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome :)

I also agree with both @Antje77 and @EllieM .

I also agree that testing when you have those symptoms will help you work out whether they are related to your blood sugar levels or not. I do test my blood pressure also so that's another thing to try.

Good luck and welcome

KidDougi

I would add getting your GP to give you an ECG. They only take a couple of minutes and it will eliminate any underlying heart issues. Are you exercising? If not, regular brisk walks will go a long way towards strengthening your heart and reduce the likelihood of future issues in relation to your heart.

ActonPete

Thank you for all your help and suggestions.

I'm in the UK and requested to have access for online medical records on Friday so waiting for it to be implemented.

BP has come down since i was diagnosed it was 124/73 yesterday which is down from 145/94 {weekly average) when i was put on meds. I had an ECG the week i was diagnosed and all was ok. The only thing that i know from recent tests is i have a fatty liver.

I'm not exercising due to Arthritis in the knees but am doing 4000 steps a day and doing what i can to move more now that my energy levels have improved due to meds.

Since i was put on the meds and have changed my diet and lifestyle i do feel 20 years younger except for this issue i've been getting all is good, i will mention it to nurse when/if she rings me

Reactions: KidDougi