Diagnosed 4 hours ago

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with the porridge - it seems to be one of the foods that affect people in extremely different ways. It sends my BG sky high, but other people have no problem with it. That's why testing before and after you eat is so important until you get used to which foods affect you.

Ohhhh, what a nightmare that must have been :oops:

shazznay

Hi Dee,
I was diagnosed Sept 2012. At first I was pretty scared about the whole thing especially as my first meet with the nurse was very depressing. All she went on about was the complications I should expect. No reassurance whatsoever. These forums have been a godsend to me. Any questions you may have have almost certainly been raised on here before.
I am on 3 x 500 metformin a day. Occasionally I do have the side effects but I have realised that it is usually a result of eating too much at one mealtime. Portion control is just as important as carb control. I also decided to buy a meter to self test just for my own curiosity really. My bg levels are between 6.5 and 7.5 2 hrs after meals now which I am very happy with.
I have now lost 3 stone since May and I am almost within my bmi range which I havent been for a long time.
I have decided to go the low carb route and it has worked for me. I thought I would miss potatos and bread but suprisingly I havent ,considering I used to eat them in quite large amounts. I stick with it because I am scared to death of getting diabetic complications
That is a good enough incentive for me.
If you are anything like me you are probably feeling quite scared and bewildered at the moment but just find out as much as you can about diabetes and it will become less and less frightening.

faircot

DeeMarks said:
I'd like to hear from those who have been taking Metformin. I hear it can cause some pretty grim side effects so how has it been for you guys? My doctor mentioned it's likely to give me the sh... trots and reduce my appetite (no bad thing!)

Just bear in mind that you will probably hear more from people who've been affected by Metformin than the vast majority who take it without problems! By itself it won't lower your readings much but it is a good, safe drug with proven benefits.

If you have any adverse effects then these will lessen as you get your BS lower and your weight under control.
As others have said diet is personal - but do watch the size of the portions you eat. For example, it was only when I started weighing out my muesli in the morning that I realised I was eating 2 or 3 times the recommended portion!

Good luck

DeeMarks

Hi again all...

took my first metformin this morning (9hrs ago) if I were going to be hit with the trots would it normally have happened by now?

DeeMarks

Also...

is it true I can get free prescriptions? I asked my doctor and she wasn't sure. If so, how do I go about doing that?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, you get free prescriptions for medication as diabetic. I've never had a certificate but that may be because I'm over 60. Ask your surgery for a certificate or advice.

FurryCub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football
Yep you can get free prescriptions as your on diabetic medication.
The dr has to do them, my dr told me to get it from the chemist, but he was wrong. I went and asked the dr receptionist and they knew better than the dr. They have forms that you fill in the dr signs and they send it away.
You get a card for 5 years and it covers all prescriptions.

Just to add, I had no idea about free prescriptions. The Dr told me I should get the card as I'd be on lots of pills.

Cub

DeeMarks

Thanks for that. I'm back at the surgery on Thursday to see the nurse so I'll get that sorted. When I bought my bg monitor the pharmacist told me I could get the lancets and strips on prescription, is that the same for everyone?

Still no noticeable side effects from the metformin - hope I'm not tempting fate!!

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Hi

I have been on Metformin for several months with no side effects that I have noticed.

You may find yourself staring at the labels on food for the next few weeks, so allow a little extra time for getting around the shops.

Otherwise have fun, it's not the end of the world :)

DeeMarks

You're so right Mongoose. Because I don't drive I tend to do my shopping online, fortunately Asda show all the values. I logged in the other night and booked a slot - they hold the slot for you for 2 hours. By the time I'd completed my shop, having checked all the labels thoroughly my slot had expired!

Problem is, I don't really know what I'm doing. Is there a daily carbs amount I should be aiming to stay below?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's a lottery with regard to free meters and strips due to the cost. Most surgeries won't provide them unless you are on insulin. You can buy the SD Codefree meter from Amazon quite cheaply and the strips are quite low cost. Most meter manfuacturers will supply a meter free if asked but the strips can be a bit expensive but buy on the web and try to get them VAT free

DeeMarks

I do think I was a bit hasty buying my accu-chek aviva nano on the day of diagnosis, but I talked to the pharmacist and she said I could get the strips and lancets on prescription... so I'll ask the nurse on Thursday.

Just a question about snacks - pepperami's are low carb but high in fat, does fat content affect bg? I'm just trying to think of stuff I can have when I really really can't resist a naughty treat!

annew

Hi!
I love pepperamis and they are one of my favourite snacks. Personally I have gone really low carb - no bread potatoes rice pasta pastry etc etc , eat protein and loads of veg, very little fruit, so I need to eat fat. It works for me. If I worry about anything in the pepperamis it is salt!
Good luck, Anne

DeeMarks

I've vastly reduced my carb intake after reading this forum.

Lunch and dinner I have a handle on, but I'm really struggling to find low carb breakfasts. I don't have much time in the morning and I simply can't forgo my sleep to get up early enough to make myself scrambled eggs etc, so I've been having a couple of slices of multi seed wholemeal toast and butter.

I'd love some quick breakfast ideas if anyone has them!

coastalhobbit

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
if you can get onto the diabetes expert course i'd recommend it. wish id done it when i was newly diagnosed, lots of useful info. ask your nurse/gp. good luck. (oh i take 5 metformin tablets a day....no side effects)

Nik442

Hi, also ask about DESMOND course. I found this course very informative - it covers exercise, diet, everything you need to know as newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic. Good set of notes as well which you can refer to in your own time.

Nik

DeeMarks

One of my colleagues is a recently diagnosed type 2 and she said I should try and get on the DESMOND course. I'll ask the nurse on Thursday.

annew

Breakfasts - I find full fat greek yoghurt with some mixed seeds or raspberries or sliced kiwi fruit quick and surprisingly satisfying
Anne

DeeMarks

Night out at the weekend. How does metformin react with booze? My tipple of choice is usually cider (I'm classy like that haha) can I still drink it?