Diagnosed 4 hours ago

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Denise, I can't answer about metformin and booze, but generally I think the best booze is dry wine or spirits. Beer is high in carbs, and a 330g drink of cider has 14g of carb in it, so not too many of those!
Here's some pictures of the sort of breakfast LesleyAnne and Annew were describing.
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf-breakfast-in-the-summer.
Another quickie breakfast is a crispbread like Ryvita, Finncrisp, Corn Thins etc. with butter and cheese. Crispbread generally has less than half the carbs of bread.
If you don't like eating breakfast, you don't need to. You won't help by adding bowls of carby starches like porridge or toast. I often just have two cups of coffee with cream for breakfast.
As for exercise, I'm sorry to tell you that it's not much good for weightloss. It helps with insulin sensitivity and general health, but not weightloss. The good news is that low carb eating is good for weightloss. By removing starches and sugars, you will naturally reduce calories without having to count. Don't try to do low fat at the same time, though, just eat a normal amount of natural fats, like what comes with the meat, and cheese, butter, olive oil etc.
As far as supermarket labels go, look at the "Total carbohydrate", and try to choose foods with 5 grams or less carbohydrate per 100 grams of product.

DeeMarks

Thank you Etty - that was really useful information.

I've been tying myself up in knots about breakfast, as it's drummed into us that it's the most important meal of the day etc etc. I like the idea of yoghurt and fruit though. I've added some natural yoghurt and blueberries (which I love and also read an article saying they could be good for reducing bg, no idea how true that is) to my shopping list.

I do have an embarrassing question. My bowel movements have always been very regular... I go every morning before leaving for work, like clock work, in fact as I toddle off to the bathroom my 18 yr old asks "is it half 7 already?". But since I've cut my carbs I've been a bit constipated (quite unusual I hear for someone on metformin), so it is usual to get a bit bunged up and will it pass?

GranRita

GranRita here: Just take it one step at a time. You cannot possibly learn everything at once. Do as the good people of the Forum suggests, it is trial & error. I find that stress does more damage to my BG. levels, that overstepping the mark with the wrong foods !!! But other people may be different. Initially I lost two & half stone, felt terrible, & had someother problems, that I could not clear up. They went with the lowering of the BG. Took a few months, but I got there in the end. Good Luck! You can do this!! XX

DeeMarks

Thank you so much GranRita, very much appreciated. I'm quite daunted at the moment, there's so much to take in!

pinkfluff7

Type of diabetes
HCP
Hello i have just been diagnoised with steroid induced diabetes, as a result of many years taking prednisilone for my asthma :( Anyway just found this site and just wanted to say hi to you all...i only got the diagnoises today and it is still sinking in. I am just worried about what happens now with regards to meds and how it will affect me, so any help would be much appreciated. xx

annew

Re: embarrassing question. Yes, it's very normal to get a bit bunged up - in fact sometimes very bunged up, ouch!! but be sure to drink plenty of water - 2 litres a day is recommended I think - and I think i've read that being sure you eat a bit more fat helps. In my experience it will right itself and for me it's the only negative thing. Good luck.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Denise. I received my diagnosis earlier today but suspected it just before Christmas. I got an Accu-chek mobile and have had a bit of fun learning what foods cause the BG to go up quickly and those that are quite slow. Regarding the consumables, I have found that Sainsburys do the cassettes at half the price, Living Care Pharmacy the fastclix lancets in boxes of 200 at a very good price and somewhere on the internet does the control solution at a good price. If I bought everything at one location, the price rockets up. Shop around for each consumable. Quite a nice book at Aldi at the moment, Cooking for Diabetes @ £1.99. Some very tasty and surprisingly satisfying recipes, easy to make too.

DeeMarks

Thanks anew. I've always drunk about 2.5-3 litres of water a day. I think I will have to add more fat to my diet - but I'm nervous about that because I have A LOT of weight to drop.

DeeMarks

Hi Yorksman so we're pretty much in the same boat then.

I'm hoping I can get my monitor gizmos on prescription, but if I can't I'll definitely take your advice and shop around

bigbenn

Hi,
I am a Diabetic and I was overweight. I have managed to lose weight because of a diet based on an American model I saw on the internet and keep my Diabetes under strict control by not eating fats, sugar or salt, with a daily brisk walk and now I have a reading of 6.1 although I expect that to drop even more with time. Suffice to say, these past 2 years I have had normal blood sugar readings and my organs, which were failing from Diabetes have fully recovered, along with my eyesight (my eyesight is tested yearly as part of a free Govt Initiative in Aussie)

Rather than give my diet here, which has caused some friction in the past, I give this link: http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046739.php

If you read the article through and look at the very bottom of the blurb, you will find there, links from other Diabetics, who like me, with strict control, have managed to get their Diabetes under control and sugar levels back to normal - and how they did it.

If you follow their guidelines, perhaps, you too can recover from Diabetes, as I have done - I'm 66.

If you want my diet, send me an e-mail to [email protected]

BigBenn

bluebea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi DeeMarks, my doctor was on holiday when my blood results came in and the locum said, you've got diabetes here's a prescription. Fabulous. The lady in the chemist explained the medication to me, like you I was on one Metformin for the first week, two the second, three the third. The first day of each week I had diarrhoea but after that I was fine.

I've seen my own doctor now, and he's put the wheels in motion. I've had my eyes photographed, and have two appointments next week, one with the diabetes nurse and one with another nurse who wants to chat with me and look at my feet. So it's all coming together slowly, and I've got over the initial shock, although like you I suspected I had diabetes for a while.

I've been watching what I've been eating...no cakes no icecream no chocolate. I don't seem to want as much food as I did before, and have lost nearly two stone, yippee. I've been trying to lose weight for ever and it's just stuck there, now it's disappearing. I can't do much exercise as I'm registered disabled, but I do try to get out a few times a week. (I'm retired) I'm longing to return to my swimming but currently I'm wearing morphine patches and I think they'd come off in the water, which is a bit yucky.

My food regime before this was fish and chicken, and veg and fruit.........so there's not much change there. Last night I had my first sweet potato....didn't know what to do with it so I baked it in the oven and had it with baked beans. No idea if that was good or bad. It's supposed to be a wonder vegetable, but I don't know if baked beans are on the food list or not.

I shall have to check on here, this site was recommended by my doctor and I've checked stuff on it on a daily basis. Eventually I'm sure it will all sink in. It's the carbohydrates which confuse me, the good and the bad, which is which. I read a list and then forget it. I suppose Rome wasn't built in a day, and my diabetes won't disappear overnight, so I keep trying and expect to be so full of knowledge at some point that I'll probably burst.

If you've not heard yet from your surgery, I'd ask them if the doctor is going to arrange all these tests and chats that you're supposed to be having. DeeMarks, when I read your first post I was sitting here nodding my head and thinking that happened to me, and that, and that. It's being in no man's land that's a bit scary, but I'm sure we'll both be terribly knowledgeable, eventually.

bea

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Bluebea. Ref carbs try to think refined versus unrefined; the latter being best. This means going for wholemeal/wholegrain flour as it's absorbed more slowly. So avoid any flour-based products that are white which sadly is most of them. Root vegetables are often not as good as those that grow above the ground, so potatoes need to be controlled and not cooked/prepared in a way that breaks down the starchy cells so avoid mash. Raw carrots are much lower GI than cooked for the same reason. In summary try to retain the original fibre and character of the carbs. Hope that helps a bit. There are various websites which list the GI numbers for a wide range of foods.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Dee

I was diagonsed last October type 2. No symptoms at all! I have high blood pressure and it was picked up at an annual blood check. I take 2x Metformin per day, have stopped eating anything sweet and drinking beer (apart from Christmas and NYE and my birthday etc) that was the hardest thing! Now on red wine at the weekend and trying to reduce carbs, but not really done that mich about it as my blood sugars are pretty good. Down from 15 (fasting!!) to 5.3 this am and peaking about 6 a couple of hours after food.

As said above everyone is different! I lost about 1 1/2 stone after diagnosis, mainly through not eating so much and eating better (although my diet wasn't bad before hand!) and going for a walk every morning. I was prety unfit, so started walking for about 20 mins per morning and getting about a mile in to start with. Now up to 3 mile in 40 mins and I love it. Get out about 6 am and its dark and quiet. Able to do that and get back to the rest of the day feeling better than I did before!

Give it a try and see what you think. Don't go mad and join a gym, it doesn't work unless you are a completely focussed person and will change your lifestyle completely! (I'm not!!)

Keep reading this site as well. there is loads of info on here that is really useful!

All the best!
SS

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Bigbenn. I've just read through the lengthy info on the web-link you give above. Yes, I'm aware you got some stick last year for possibly over promoting it! The info is fascinating and of course raises more questions than it answers and highlights just how complex diabetes is and how little everyone really understands what the causes are. The article highlights the need to reduce carbs which many of us would strongly agree with. I note that you have chosen to focus on reducing fats which is your choice but some of us would disagree as you do need calories from somewhere? I note you are diet only and that's good to be able to avoid meds yet still have a reasonable HBa1C. As the article highlights we are all different and some of us even with an ideal diet and exercise still need meds like I do. So in summary you are right to promote a good diet and exercise etc but be aware that sadly a proportion of us have no choice but to have meds as well having the right diet and exercise; life's a ***** sometimes.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Daibell said:
The info is fascinating and of course raises more questions than it answers and highlights just how complex diabetes is and how little everyone really understands what the causes are.

That's certainly what Roy Taylor states.

He is Prof. of Medicine and Metabolism at Newcastle Uni and was on the team that published 'Reversal of type 2 diabetes: normalisation of beta cell function in association with decreased pancreas and liver triacylglycerol' published in Diabetologia in 2011, often referred to as the Newcastle Diet. He also published an article which you can see here: http://www.practicaldiabetes.com/Spring ... 02-col.pdf

With regard to type of diet, he says:

"The Counterpoint study was not a trial of a potential therapy. The study design was tightly focused upon testing a hypothesis by achieving major negative energy balance over the eight-week period of observation. In particular, it does not prove that use of any one dietary approach is the best way to achieve weight loss and reversal of type 2 diabetes. Clearly, much work remains to be done to establish the most practical way of inducing reversal of type 2 diabetes, and also the most practical way of maintaining normal glucose tolerance once achieved."

and with regard to the cause of type 2, he writes:

"Given the range of intraorgan fat levels observed in the volunteers both with and without diabetes, it is clear that different individuals exhibit different susceptibility to fat accumulation in the vital organs. This ‘liposusceptibility’ allows simple explanation of the common observation that different individuals develop diabetes when BMI rises above a personal threshold – maybe 35, or maybe 25kg/m2 for example. In additional to the liposusceptibility, individuals of the same BMI may store very different amounts of fat in the vital metabolic organs instead of in the metabolically safe subcutaneous depot. Both genetic and environmental factors may govern these tendencies, but this should not cloud the central point: if a person has type 2 diabetes, he or she has more fat in the liver and pancreas than they can cope with."

In the summary he writes:

"The recently reported data demonstrate unequivocally that the predictions of the Twin Cycle hypothesis are confirmed. Decrease in daily energy supply alone can reverse type 2 diabetes, and this reversal is associated with decrease in fat levels in the pancreas and liver. Concepts of aetiology of type 2 diabetes can now be simplified, as there appears to be a single causative factor – increased fat availability within the vital organs."

Now, I don't know what you have to do to lose accumulated fat which is clogging up your liver and pancreas and I don't fancy going on a fasting diet, which is what the Newcastle Diet was, but reducing energy intake is the key, so that is reduce carbs, reduce fat and reduce overall calories. Note that's reduce, not eliminate which is more or less what a fasting diet requires. You can see exactly how strict it was here:

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/assets/docu ... ecipes.pdf

As is stated often on this forum, experiment is key. Try different things and monitor the blood glucose. Don't rigidly hold onto one particular diet because it works for some, it may not work for you.

DeeMarks

Hi all, haven't been on for a couple of days but thought I'd post a quick update.

So yesterday I went to see the diabetes nurse at my surgery and discovered 2 things... 1. the doctor who diagnosed me (correctly) shouldn't have put me on metformin so hastily, but she said that now I'm on it I should continue. 2. the doctor also told me to get a bg monitor which I did but apparently I could have just been given one! The nurse said she's a trainee doctor and sends her apologies, to which I responded "did she send me £20 to cover the cost of the monitor as well?"

Anyway, the nurse was brilliant and spent much longer with me than my appointment slot as it was the last appt of the day. She sorted the forms for free prescriptions, has filled in the forms for my diabetes eye test and has referred me on to a DESMOND course.

I wanted to get weighed again as feel I've lost a bit of weight in this first week but I forgot to ask.

Also - have just tested my bg level (finally got my lancets and strips on prescription) and from a fasting result of 17.3 at diagnosis my result just now was 10.5... although it's been about 5 hours since I finished lunch. I've been following a low carb diet. I'm going to do a fasting test in the morning and that will give me a clearer idea of how my bg is doing.

Thank you so much for the response Bea, I'm finding it so useful having people to talk to who are in the same place as me! I'm so pleased I've now been to see my diabetic nurse because she's lovely and wasn't at all patronising.

Finally - my workplace does a volunteering scheme and coincidentally the latest voluntary opportunity was emailed out today and it's to volunteer for DiabetesUK, to train to be a diabetes risk assessor - I'm seriously considering it!

DeeMarks

suffolkscouser said:
my blood sugars are pretty good. Down from 15 (fasting!!) to 5.3 this am and peaking about 6 a couple of hours after food.

Give it a try and see what you think. Don't go mad and join a gym, it doesn't work unless you are a completely focussed person and will change your lifestyle completely! (I'm not!!)

Wow you've had excellent results in such a short time! And no, I'm definitely NOT focussed enough to join the gym - plus the idea of being the sweating fat lass while the body builders are pumping iron horrifies me. I am going to start walking - but am unlikely to be up as early as you to do so! haha

barbinar

Hello Dee.
You are getting a ton of good advice here.
I just want to add a note about Metformin.
I was diagnosed 4 months ago with Type II.
Immediately began insulin and Metformin.
The Metformin did 'mess with' my tummy for awhile.
I was not 'sick', but when my tummy got empty
(due to new diet restrictions) the Metformin
made it 'rumbly' and 'grumbly', which was
uncomfortable and embarassing (loud!).
So I found that eating a light snack such
as Glucerna bars or drinks between meals kept
my tummy happier and did not keep me from
balancing my daily intake or make my BG levels
too high.
Now, 4 months later, I find that the Metformin
does not bother my tummy at all even if I
can't pop in a few bites every three hours or so.
So, don't be discouraged. Your body is dealing
with a range of new and different stuff. It will
all come right when you find what is the
best for you personally.
:wave:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
barbinar said:
Hello Dee.
You are getting a ton of good advice here.
I just want to add a note about Metformin.
I was diagnosed 4 months ago with Type II.
Immediately began insulin and Metformin.
The Metformin did 'mess with' my tummy for awhile.
I was not 'sick', but when my tummy got empty
(due to new diet restrictions) the Metformin
made it 'rumbly' and 'grumbly', which was
uncomfortable and embarassing (loud!).
So I found that eating a light snack such
as Glucerna bars or drinks between meals kept
my tummy happier and did not keep me from
balancing my daily intake or make my BG levels
too high.
Now, 4 months later, I find that the Metformin
does not bother my tummy at all even if I
can't pop in a few bites every three hours or so.
So, don't be discouraged. Your body is dealing
with a range of new and different stuff. It will
all come right when you find what is the
best for you personally.
:wave:

My experience with Glucerna has been a lot less positive.

In case anybody else has been thinking of trying "Glucerna SR" which Abbott Nutrition are marketing as "Carbsteady"(R), Low GI, sustained release, "helping people with Diabetes find balance", etc, etc.

I've been having an issue with rising fasting BG and decided to try the stuff - and fair enough, my fasting BG was better - I'd been having mid 6's and it went down under 6.

However, for the first time, I measured my BG an hour after ingesting a shake made up using 30g Glucerna (they recommend making it with 52g).

BG before drinking was 5.9
1 hour later it was 8.8 - a rise of 2.9

So much for low GI, sustained release :shock:

One can of Glucerna in the bin!