Diagnosed in June - still trying to get my head straight

Sue81

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed as Type 2 in June. I'm 32. It both was and wasn't a shock. I was over 20st, 3 out of 4 grandparents had it along with my dad, so I figured I'd get it eventually but I thought I had hopefully another 20 years or so before I had to deal with it.
I had a pain in the back of my leg which turned out to be an abscess, ended up in hospital for an emergency op. They did the usual tests on admittance then asked 'are you diabetic?' Well I wasn't as far as I knew. My BG was 18 and when they did a HbA1c it was 100. Looking back over the last few months I realised I'd had some of the symptoms like raging thirst, getting up in the night to pee and tired all the time. When they weighed me for the general anaesthetic I was 1 and a half stone lighter than I thought I was as well. They put me straight onto insulin (insulatard twice a day) along with metformin, spoke to someone about changing my diet and then I just got on with it. I was struggling to deal with the op as much as anything. I was off work for a month recovering.
I don't think I've ever properly dealt with how I felt about it. The last couple of years have been pretty rubbish all round. My dad and another couple of family members died and I had to deal with everything including making sure my mum was okay. I live several hundred miles away from the rest of the my family. Work was not good under threat of redundancy a couple of times then this on top of everything else.
I've got a new job and moved to a completely new area. I've got my weight down to 16.5st so far. My BG is normally between 5-8. I even managed to have reasonable control over Christmas even with my mum trying to sabotage me (why can't you eat that your dad did. Yeah and with type 2 and high cholesterol that's why he died of a heart attack at 59!). Had a HbA1c before Christmas and waiting for the results but hoping it will be much better. As my life is starting to improve I keep thinking about having to deal with the diabetes for the rest of my life. In one respect it's been the kick up the backside I needed to sort parts of my life out but I can't help feeling what now. I think I need to get my head straight so I can move forward positively.

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, welcome, :)

youve sure been through it lately, you seem to have survived it with your sense of humour in tact which is terrific! you also seem to be dealing with the DB very well but a great idea to join us and learn more :) best of luck and dont hesitate to ask any questions that pop up

Reactions: 3 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Ohh no avoid the straight head stick with us folks in the warped twisted brigade, we get a more fun look at life
laugh1.gif
whistle2.gif

Been through the mill on family deaths in the last 3 years and have a lot of blank areas in my life, dad, husband then mum died. l also lost ability to place places//happenings in a time line. If you have those problems then my advice is put it in the box to look at when needed as often as needed and use the now to move on from in getting your head into gear, you can end up stressing and hurting more trying to time line things.

Course you may not have those problems if so disregard all l have said unless it is helpful then feel free to cherry pick what you need :)

MID

hawnet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
judgemental people, billy liars,
Sue it looks to me like you are doing very well, your figures show a very positive picture, granted you've got a lot of emotive stuff going on that you have to overcome but you are doing great, you are lighter than me, BG's better than mine too so I can look to you for inspiration Sue.

G2ADY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sue,

You've had a rough ride by the sounds of it but it seems like you've already made positive steps. You'll find lots of help on here, answers to questions and the odd bit of banter. Look forward to seeing you around more :)

Reactions: 2 people