Diagnosed Today

NikkieDuranie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi went to drs first thing today, as have some signs I was concerned about.

Appointment was at 0830 and hadn't eaten since yesterday, glucose level 17.3...and in urine, all my symptoms matched. Was diagnosed on the spot and even had my fasting bloods done there and then as I hadn't had any food or drink.

How high is high

Prescribed Metaformin straight away, increasing the dose to 3 times a day, have been given an hour appointment with nurse in a couple of weeks. Although not 100% surprised, feel like I am reeling from this and not being very productive.

I don't really know much about this at all and am trying to resist the lets start reading everything approach. GP said that as fasting was 17.3 she expects it to be a lot higher other times of the day.

Should I just wait to see nurse or jump in and read everything?

Thanks

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Jump in, join us, and read everything!

Anything over 7 in a fasting test is a marker for diabetes. 17.3 for a fasting glucose test (FBG) is very high, and will be much higher after meals.

Diagnosis normally depends on an HbA1c test, which is a test with blood taken from your arm and sent off to the lab. It is a sort of average of your blood glucose levels over the previous 2 to 3 months. However, with glucose in your urine, a fasting BG test as high as that, and symptoms, there is little doubt about your diagnosis. I imagine your nurse will be sorting out an HbA1c test for you.

I am tagging @daisy1 who has a very useful introductory thread for newly diagnosed. Please read it. You will find the links interesting. Meanwhile, read all round the forums, and ask as many questions as you like.

Reactions: Prem51

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. When I was diagnosed in November, my HbA1c was 122. I was told to go and enjoy Christmas and come back in the New year.

I went home and found this forum. I read and read and read some more.

Be prepared to be overwhelmed, don't worry about it, we have all been where you are. Ask as many questions as you want, no such thing as a silly question.

Two books I recommend, Dr Michaels Mosley's 8 week blood sugar diet. Jason Fung, the Diabetes Code. Lots of information on how your body works.

The other thing I did when I got back from the surgery was to cut out all bread, potatoes, rice and pasta.

I also ordered a blood glucose meter. I had a diabetic dog so I knew how useful they can be.

After 6 months, my HbA1c went from 122 to 35.

Stick with the forum, you will get shedloads of good advice.

NikkieDuranie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome,

Jump in, join us, and read everything!

Anything over 7 in a fasting test is a marker for diabetes. 17.3 for a fasting glucose test (FBG) is very high, and will be much higher after meals.

Diagnosis normally depends on an HbA1c test, which is a test with blood taken from your arm and sent off to the lab. It is a sort of average of your blood glucose levels over the previous 2 to 3 months. However, with glucose in your urine, a fasting BG test as high as that, and symptoms, there is little doubt about your diagnosis. I imagine your nurse will be sorting out an HbA1c test for you.

I am tagging @daisy1 who has a very useful introductory thread for newly diagnosed. Please read it. You will find the links interesting. Meanwhile, read all round the forums, and ask as many questions as you like.

Thank you very much for your speedy reply, I was lucky in that there was a blood test space available whilst I was at the surgery and that was taken also this morning. The GP went straight for the diagnosis for the reasons you have given.

I will have a good read this evening and learn all I can and I am sure I will have lots of questions.

NikkieDuranie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the forum. When I was diagnosed in November, my HbA1c was 122. I was told to go and enjoy Christmas and come back in the New year.

I went home and found this forum. I read and read and read some more.

Be prepared to be overwhelmed, don't worry about it, we have all been where you are. Ask as many questions as you want, no such thing as a silly question.

Two books I recommend, Dr Michaels Mosley's 8 week blood sugar diet. Jason Fung, the Diabetes Code. Lots of information on how your body works.

The other thing I did when I got back from the surgery was to cut out all bread, potatoes, rice and pasta.

I also ordered a blood glucose meter. I had a diabetic dog so I knew how useful they can be.

After 6 months, my HbA1c went from 122 to 35.

Stick with the forum, you will get shedloads of good advice.

Thank you for those tips, will look out for the books, in amongst reading everything on here. That's a huge improvement on your levels so is encouraging for me to see.

I live on carbs and have a real veg phobia so it's going to take a lot of willpower.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I live on carbs and have a real veg phobia so it's going to take a lot of willpower.

Not much of a problem with a veg phobia. I also have one and really only eat mushrooms and peas, with some "proper" veg on my Sunday dinner. I also eat seeds. That's it really. All the lettuce I buy is eaten by my tortoise. In fact there are members of this forum that only eat animal products - no plant food at all. So it can be got round, provided you find foods with all the required vitamins and minerals. Cutting the carbs is more of a problem, but the good news is we can eat protein and natural fats.

Reactions: jayney27

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Going low carb can be challenging. Carbs are addictive. When I started, I fell off the wagon. Twice, I ran to the corner shop and fell face first into a plate of crumpets. Another time I ate half a packet of ryvitas. The meter told me I was being an idiot. The cravings stopped after about 3 weeks.

If you fall off the wagon, don't beat yourself up. Just climb back on and keep going

Reactions: jayney27 and Prem51

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

Hello Nikkie, and welcome. I'm glad you found this forum, because I know it'll be a great help to you. I look forward to following your progress :) You don't need to eat a lot of veggies, but please lower your carb intake as much as you possibly can. I know it'll do you a world of good. It did me. I managed to lower my BG significantly in just a couple of weeks just watching my carbs. Lots of people in here have, so that's good news, isn't it?

Reactions: jayney27 and Prem51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Nikki, just popped in to say welcome, you’ll have enough info to be going on with when daisy1 posts her welcome, so I won’t bombard you with more. Just remember you don’t have to tackle it all at once and no question is a silly question.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Welcome aboard @NikkieDuranie. There is a steep learning curve when you are first diagnosed so read and take on what you can a step at a time. Every little bit helps. The dn will probably tell you not to get a bg monitor but a lot of us on here find it very useful particularly early in our journey. The next step I would recommend is starting a food diary. You will soon find patterns so you can work out which foods affect you - you may find anything containing grain products, anything that grows underground etc affect you but we are all different and have to find out for ourselves. There is no such thing as a silly question if you really want to know the answer, and this forum is great for the times when you want to have a rant at someone, but not those closest to you who are trying their best to understand the new diet restrictions. Life is an adventure. Good luck

NikkieDuranie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for your advice and warm welcome I am sure there will be bundles of questions. Right now just getting my head round it and letting it sink in x

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Why are you listed as insulin dependent?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Get a staff member to do that for you calling @Rachox (given you're new) as it's very misleading

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gimme an address where I can send you the image I've saved
Can you put it in a PM please @Mike D ? Add in all the Mods if you can, if not I’ll add them, then @DCUKMod will look into if there’s a glitch on the Forum.