Diagnosed Type 1 Told Today Maybe Type 2

scousefly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So totally confused now. HBA1C 98 3 weeks ago, weight loss (4-5 Kilos), thirsty and a bit tired but I work shifts anyway so always tired. Went to hospital today and they now want to wean me off the insulin I have been injecting and placed me on tablets.

After starting to get used to the idea im now totally flummoxed again and to be honest although I asked questions I really feel like I didn't get answers. Im going to ask for a second opinion tomorrow from my doctor but not sure how to approach this now

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
So totally confused now. HBA1C 98 3 weeks ago, weight loss (4-5 Kilos), thirsty and a bit tired but I work shifts anyway so always tired. Went to hospital today and they now want to wean me off the insulin I have been injecting and placed me on tablets.

After starting to get used to the idea im now totally flummoxed again and to be honest although I asked questions I really feel like I didn't get answers. Im going to ask for a second opinion tomorrow from my doctor but not sure how to approach this now

Hmmm, how was the diagnosis made, -the original one and the latest one?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds wrong to me. An unexpected weight loss of that amount and high HBA1C are strong pointers to T1. I would insist that the GP does the two tests GAD and c-peptide. The latter indicates your natural insulin level and helps define whether you stay on insulin

scousefly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had bloods taken but as my HB1AC wasn't back I w called in to have a prick blood test in the doctors which said my glucose was 24. I was told to go the hospital straight away and spent a couple of hrs there before being sent home with a shot of insulin. I went back the next day and was told it was T1 by a diabetes doctor given lever and Humalog and all the testing gear and sent on my way. The second was apparently based on my now almost complete test results. They took blood again today for lipids and said I had no positive antibodies and my c peps were 21 so not low to say T1. The nurse and dietician just seemed very wishy washy

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Have they at least given you a phone number so that you can phone a diabetic nurse for support? I can't believe that they sent someone home on insulin with so little help....
My understanding is that it can be a bit of a grey area to distinguish between T1 and T2 initially. In the long term, if you're T1 you will stop producing insulin and need to inject, if you're T2 you can modify the condition with low carb diet and, if necessary, pills. (And some T2s go onto insulin but not usually initially.)

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
That sounds wrong to me. An unexpected weight loss of that amount and high HBA1C are strong pointers to T1. I would insist that the GP does the two tests GAD and c-peptide. The latter indicates your natural insulin level and helps define whether you stay on insulin
There are exceptions. I'm T2 but I presented with a BG of 22.5 and HbA1c of 9.5 and I'd lost 6 kg.
Glenn

scousefly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Waiting call-back's from Diabetes nurse and my own GP. Im going to insist on new blood tests as the info given so far is just so confusing

scousefly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So the official explanation from both the GP and D nurse is as I presented with a reading of 98 for HBA1C and lost 4-5 kilos they treat aggressively with insulin injections. As my test results are completed and the picture appears clearer (to them) they think? it may be T2 but possibility T1.5 *** (sorry)

So now on Metformin 1 tab and insulin dose halved for a week then 2 tabs and halve my insulin again. GP has said she will write to a consultant to see me to explain and hopefully clarify what I actually am (apart from being confused)

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So the official explanation from both the GP and D nurse is as I presented with a reading of 98 for HBA1C and lost 4-5 kilos they treat aggressively with insulin injections. As my test results are completed and the picture appears clearer (to them) they think? it may be T2 but possibility T1.5 *** (sorry)

So now on Metformin 1 tab and insulin dose halved for a week then 2 tabs and halve my insulin again. GP has said she will write to a consultant to see me to explain and hopefully clarify what I actually am (apart from being confused)
I go to a support group where they still haven't decided what type one of the others is.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather

Feel for you. The phrase "treat aggressively" rang a bell with me as that's what I was told initially but I was told "you're diabetic" and was totally floored that I didn't ask which one. Turned out I'm T1 and have had GAD & c-peptide tests to confirm this. I'm still in denial. Good luck

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I had bloods taken but as my HB1AC wasn't back I w called in to have a prick blood test in the doctors which said my glucose was 24. I was told to go the hospital straight away and spent a couple of hrs there before being sent home with a shot of insulin. I went back the next day and was told it was T1 by a diabetes doctor given lever and Humalog and all the testing gear and sent on my way. The second was apparently based on my now almost complete test results. They took blood again today for lipids and said I had no positive antibodies and my c peps were 21 so not low to say T1. The nurse and dietician just seemed very wishy washy
I wonder what the c-peptide range is for non-diabetic people and for diabetics