Diagnosed type 2 two weeks ago

Pogel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I have plucked up the courage to join and introduce myself. I have recently (2 weeks) been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I wasn't surprised as I went to the dr and asked to be tested. I had been having symptoms that I googled. My blood result was 18.8. I have been for another blood test this morning as the dr said that the first one only checked blood sugar rather than everything.
The dr gave me metformin but said I could try changing my eating habits first. I have chosen to do this. So far I am going low carb. I am vegetarian and so eat lots of veg and was having 5 portions of fruit a day but have now cut that down as I learn more. I eat quorn products occasionally but most of our foods are cooked from fresh ingredients.

I have no idea how to measure carbs in fresh foods, in fact not sure how to measure carbs in packet foods :) do I note down the carbs or the carbs and the carbs that sugar to get a total?

I have rheumatism pretty much everywhere so exercise is tricky but I have been going out for a walk each evening and adding a small amount each time.

One good thing to come from this is my daughter is going to be eating low carb along with me as she does not want to pass eating habits on to her children.

I have been really upbeat so far apart from a bit of a down day today.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The carbs and cals app is a great tool also the book - lots of us use myfitnesspal to record our carbs and other macronutrients- a word of caution though although it's pretty good it's fellow users that input all the information so don't take it as gospel. It's a great thing to use if you input your own meals recipes etc.

As to packet food it will show on the label how many carbs is in 100g or sometimes a portion, you just need the total carbs ignore the sugars as all carbs turn to sugar anyway

Well done on making a great start I have tagged @daisy1 she will post some newbie info for you that will help a great deal
Welcome to the forum :)

Reactions: callyandy

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have plucked up the courage to join and introduce myself. I have recently (2 weeks) been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I wasn't surprised as I went to the dr and asked to be tested. I had been having symptoms that I googled. My blood result was 18.8. I have been for another blood test this morning as the dr said that the first one only checked blood sugar rather than everything.
The dr gave me metformin but said I could try changing my eating habits first. I have chosen to do this. So far I am going low carb. I am vegetarian and so eat lots of veg and was having 5 portions of fruit a day but have now cut that down as I learn more. I eat quorn products occasionally but most of our foods are cooked from fresh ingredients.

I have no idea how to measure carbs in fresh foods, in fact not sure how to measure carbs in packet foods :) do I note down the carbs or the carbs and the carbs that sugar to get a total?

I have rheumatism pretty much everywhere so exercise is tricky but I have been going out for a walk each evening and adding a small amount each time.

One good thing to come from this is my daughter is going to be eating low carb along with me as she does not want to pass eating habits on to her children.

Hi, welcome!

Sorry. I love my bacon too much..

But I'll tag in a couple of non meat eaters? I respect.. My definition of "respect". If it's human (Or carb heavy, I won't eat it! ;)

@Enclave @Avocado Sevenfold

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
welcome here Pogel :)

I use the lifesum app on my iPhone
and there you can just write the name of the food and get an answer and you can also scan the foods by thier barcode most times ... you of cause need to know how many grams you are using...

when an vegetarian or vegan this link can be interesting

Michael Greger M.D. is one of the worlds leading health experts in vegan and vegetarian foods and nutrients http://nutritionfacts.org/

Last edited:
Reactions: Liam1955

Pogel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for the welcome and tips. I have been learning a lot by lurking here already.

Last edited:

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My gp advised me to come here to get started.

Wow!!! Music to my ears!!! :) I think you may have an enlightened GP. I hope so as it will be to your advantage. ;) Well done for focusing on reducing carbs. It really does seem (to me, and many others) the sensible way to go seeing as carbs are turned into glucose once ingested and it's the glucose levels that diabetics have the issue with.

As a Type 2, you are unlikely to be prescribed a Glucometer and test strips. The usual thing we Type 2s get told is that "Type 2s don't need to test". Ha, so how on earth are we expected to know how our glucose levels are responding to what we've eaten? So, I'm afraid the answer can only be 'to test' so most of use will have to buy our own. Codefree glucometer is one of the more reasonable priced and the test strips cost less than most and it's the cost of the test strips that is best to check out as some test strips can be quite expensive.

Also, obviously diet is important and you'll get good advice from another member here since she's been tagged already for you.

Good luck

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your GP is very clever, this is the place to be. I'm quite new to diabetes and am learning so much. Advice is given without being patronising and all sorts of issues discussed. A very friendly, informative, generous bunch of folk.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Pogel - Hello and Welcome to the Forum :).

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Pogel

Hello Pogel and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I think you will find it useful. It contains a lot of data on carbs and a link to the Low Carb Program which you could try. Ask more questions when you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 210,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

It is the Carbs you want to be looking at. All carbs turn to blood glucose, so it doesn't matter if they start off as sugars or carbs, they all end up as bloodglucose.

The way I work out carbs is to look at the nutritional information on the label. If there is no label, I go to Tescos website (cos it is easy and I know my way around the Tescos website, but any one of the supermarkets will do the same).

If, say it is a 150g bag of sugarsnap peas, and the label says 4.8g carbs /100 g then I can work it out from there.

The whole bag is 150g, so that means the whole bag has about 7.3g carbs in it.
I am eating half a bag.
So I will be eating approx 3.7g carbs

Then I repeat for each of the foods going onto my plate.

To be honest, once you have done this a few times, you will quickly learn that green veg is beautifully low carb and probably not worth counting, whereas white and brown carbs like bread and rice and potato is much higher carb, and controlling portion size, or eliminating them completely is the main issue.

Hope that helps. :)

Oh, and one more thing that I hope will cheer you up. There have been several discussions in the past on how much low carbing helps with inflammation. Several of us have found that things like rheumatism improve dramatically if we cut enough carbs. It is delightful and VERY motivating to discover that pain and inflammation can reduce like that. I really hope that you find the same.

Reactions: Liam1955

Pogel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I want to buy a tester as I was not offered a tester from my gp. I saw that there are two types sold from this website but didn't know which to get. I will take a look at the one suggested in the post above.

Great tip about using the Tesco website, thanks :)

I have cut out all bread, pasta, potatoes and most flour products. I have had a few ryvita to have at lunch or with a boiled egg in the morning. I was having porridge but soon could feel that it wasn't working for me.
I now only have a very small portion of brown rice perhaps once a week. This is very different from the plate piled high with white basmati :)

I am filling up with mostly veg with a vegetarian side eg a home made lentil and bean bake.

Thanks.

pjkidd1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, it the first time I've been on here despite being diagnosed and joining the group 18 months ago. When first diagnosed I was put on metformin as fasting blood test was 53. Over this time I've bought a meter and strips, cut carbs drastically, upped my exercise through walking and lost 16lb in weight. My last blood test was 47 so taken of meds and now diet controlled. As someone said earlier everyone reacted differently to different foods so it just a case of eat, wait 2 hrs and test to see what suits you. This was probably the best bit of advice I had. I can't lie, it hasn't been easy and I still have slip ups but on the whole I'm doing ok. These groups offer loads of support so keep checking in even if you don't participate all the time.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @Pogel
My fasting blood sugar was 18 at diagnosis and I've managed with diet, weight loss and walking so hopefully you can as well.

I now use the SDcodefree as mentioned by @Energize as the strips are the cheapest we can find.
http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/
If you buy the strips in bulk the discount codes are
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833
It's the same discount if you by either 5 or 10

In UK we use mmol/L
You do need to say you are diabetic as then you do not pay VAT.

Any questions do ask.

A

asparagusp

I know Type 2s who are not on insulin don't normally get a meter from the GP but there's no harm in asking! You might be lucky!

Elmadon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was also diagnosed 2 weeks ago with type 2 diabetes and gp suggested I do it with diet and lose weight I'm struggling with what to eat