Diagnosed with Type 2 and struggling.....

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Relax, you are still in shock and the truth is you have had high sugar for a while and there is nothing wrong with taking a month or two or even 3 to get your head around this
the atkins diet book which I found uploaded online was a help and lots on youtube on low carb and diabetes
also http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vivs-modified-atkins-diet.18803/
I went hard core and did a carb cleanse. I found drop wheat and grains, sugar and potato which is basically where I got my big carbs from.
the sugar cravings went when I dropped the carbs. after 2 or 3 days I wasn't starving hungry,

How Much Carbohydrate is Right for You?
Finding your Own Sugar Sensitivity Level

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/carblevel.htm
""The goal is to find the highest carb level where the individual will 1) lose or maintain weight and 2) not have cravings which will drive him or her to overeat. These cravings are a very important marker, and almost every low-carb diet book from Atkins to South Beach talks about it. It is one of the most striking features of low-carb diets -- that people no longer find themselves wanting to randomly munch. Being free of those urges is so liberating that it turns people into devoted followers of carb reduction. Other positive signs of eating the correct carb level are increased energy and mental alertness. Also, of course, people who are diabetic or prediabetic can and should monitor how what they eat is affecting their blood glucose.""

atkins basic diet for a start
http://www.zelja.com/recepti/Atkinsova dijeta/Dr. Atkins Basic Diet Manual.pdf

put this one in your favorite list too [it's currently not loading probably back online in an hour]
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/

Last edited by a moderator:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
female hormone cycle can alter your BG
what did you have for lunch
are you taking metformin?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Or even slightly less exercise the day before can also effect your levels.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

caitrionaanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had a bowl of veg soup and sandwich on whole meal bread. My usual lunch. The only thing I did was drink coffee an he before testing as I would usually drink decaf. Also I didn't get to go for a short walk as I normally would at lunch

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Injustice, discrimination, greed, selfishness, WAR
Hi all

Ive been diagnosed with type 2 only 2 weeks ago and am really struggling with every aspect. Its like i cant accept that I now have this life long chronic illness with awful complications down the line if i dont control it.

Im really struggling with the diet part - I feel like I am so restricted and cant see how one can keep that kind of diet up for life. I hate meal times and food shopping now - I feel like i just hate food. Is this a normal reaction or am I just odd.

I have been so down - anxiety/depression. On antidepressants but the way im feeling is that I dont see a light at the end of that tunnel. Everything seems like such a chore and its only been a short time. Im seeing Diabetic Nurse in few days but still waiting to see dietician and attend the consultant, etc.

Has anyone struggled with acceptance and does it get any better?

Oh I sooooo am struggling with acceptance, and like you, have a hate of food shopping and meal planning. I've just bought myself a load of Atkins bars! x

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Oh I sooooo am struggling with acceptance, and like you, have a hate of food shopping and meal planning. I've just bought myself a load of Atkins bars! x
C'mon - you can do better than that! Bet we can find some recipes for you. What do you like? :)

Reactions: 2 people

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
C'mon - you can do better than that! Bet we can find some recipes for you. What do you like? :)
Well, I don't like a lot of fresh food as for years I can't eat salad, it's too acidic for my tummy, I can't eat items with gluten in, they bloat me and make me sick so that cuts down the options somewhat. This is why I need to look into more meals that are vegetable based, but I also still have the paleo diet books from last year, maybe I should get them out again. I think when I've come out of hospital I'll have to put in a massive effort as it's depressing and not helping how I'm coping with this and heart trouble all at the same time.x

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well, I don't like a lot of fresh food as for years I can't eat salad, it's too acidic for my tummy, I can't eat items with gluten in, they bloat me and make me sick so that cuts down the options somewhat. This is why I need to look into more meals that are vegetable based, but I also still have the paleo diet books from last year, maybe I should get them out again. I think when I've come out of hospital I'll have to put in a massive effort as it's depressing and not helping how I'm coping with this and heart trouble all at the same time.x
This one is my fave for 4 people:
Ingredients:

400g cod
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
1 courgette
1 tbsp garlic butter
250 g cherry tomatoes (optional)
2 tins coconut milk
21/2 tbsp red Thai paste
Splash of chilli sauce
200g Philadelphia
parsley
Salt and pepper

Method:
Chop up the peppers and courgette and fry in the butter.
Add the coconut milk, the chilli sauce, the Thai paste and seasoning.
Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the Philadelphia, the tomatoes and the cod.
Simmer for 10 minutes.

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
This one is my fave for 4 people:
Ingredients:

400g cod
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
1 courgette
1 tbsp garlic butter
250 g cherry tomatoes (optional)
2 tins coconut milk
21/2 tbsp red Thai paste
Splash of chilli sauce
200g Philadelphia
parsley
Salt and pepper

Method:
Chop up the peppers and courgette and fry in the butter.
Add the coconut milk, the chilli sauce, the Thai paste and seasoning.
Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the Philadelphia, the tomatoes and the cod.
Simmer for 10 minutes.
Sorry Scandichick, I don't like cod, peppers, philli or courgettes....

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Chicken casserole:
500g chicken breast
1dspn flour
1 onion diced
Garlic butter
100g Mushrooms sliced
Salt pepper
4 tsp tarragon
150ml chicken stock (hot)
150 ml single cream or double!
50ml brandy
Juice of half a lemon
Oven proof dish with lid. I have a pan which goes in the oven.
Fry chicken breasts to seal. Remove. Fry up onions and mushrooms in garlic butter. Add flour herbs seasoning and hot stock then brandy. Add chicken and stir. Sauce at this point acts more like a marinade but don't worry if it looks to thin on ground. Put in oven for 50 mins. Dish must have lid or will dry out! Remove from oven, add lemon juice and cream. Serve with veggies! Eat and enjoy!

Reactions: 4 people

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Posted a chicken casserole - any good?
Absolutely, I saw that one and am writing it down, sounds very nice. I'm not enthusiastic about food and I realise this will be an uphill struggle to get proper nutritional stuff inside me, wish there was a balanced, low carb, high protein medium fat meal pill you could take instead of eating, I'd have them anyday . :p xx

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Absolutely, I saw that one and am writing it down, sounds very nice. I'm not enthusiastic about food and I realise this will be an uphill struggle to get proper nutritional stuff inside me, wish there was a balanced, low carb, high protein medium fat meal pill you could take instead of eating, I'd have them anyday . :p xx
There are days when I want a take away but I can't and neither should you! You can but it wouldn't be wise. I console myself with the thought that once I get my figure back to how it was when I was in my 20s I'll be looking good! If I can't have more than one glass of wine and really shouldn't have pizza then there have got to be some consolations! Now I'm back into cooking, I look forward to it as a bit of down time - bit like this forum. Am now going to make said casserole . Big hugs! X

Nic51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
well im going to give my opinion, i found out in January that my BS was high about 20.8 i think my first reading was i now have that down between 6.8 and 10 on good days still not on meds have my first diabetic nurse appointment on Monday so we will see what she says but since the 14th jan ive lost 24lbs which is 5 dress sizes, and cut my BS down to what was 14 at my first HbA1c my 2nd was 10 and the last one 9.3 yes the first 3 weeks i was very very good, but i realized that for me personally i couldnt keep it up soooo i now have something if i fancy it that badly, but i make sure i think before i eat, i have potatoes about once a week pasta about once every 2 weeks i eat burgen bread, while i dont count my carbs i do read the labels in stuff, i believe from what ive read here and other forums that we all have different ways of dealing with it, also in the last week ive started taking vitamin d and b12 they may help who knows but ive read they can, and ive tried to up my walking, but i work 12 hr shifts where im on my feet pretty much constantly so some days off i just chill, but today because i was grumpy i walked 4 miles something i wouldnt have done 3 months ago soooo little steps and little changes i only hope that the DN agrees lol good luck with your new lifestyle x

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I've bought, vit c, cinnamon, b complex, chromium and a strong garlic? Couldn't find B12, where did you get it from?

Well done on lowering your BS so drastically, I think excercise may be the key for me, I'm very sedentary at the mo, you sound like you do enough excercise as it is, 12 hour shifts on your feet? I'd rather be in prison! ;) x

caitrionaanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's does suck but I'm starting to become more positive! Have lost over a stone in the last 4 weeks so that motivating!!! Really miss the sweet foods still but gonna try some dark choc as a treat this weekend. Saw the diabetic nurse yesterday do she was a great help. Just back from a session of kinesiology which was great to deal with the anxiety and other stuff. I'm amazed with it!!!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It's does suck but I'm starting to become more positive! Have lost over a stone in the last 4 weeks so that motivating!!! Really miss the sweet foods still but gonna try some dark choc as a treat this weekend. Saw the diabetic nurse yesterday do she was a great help. Just back from a session of kinesiology which was great to deal with the anxiety and other stuff. I'm amazed with it!!!

Congratulations! How good does that feel! I also have dark choccie. Just a square after my evening meal. What I do is eat it with a hot drink. I nibble a corner, have a little bit of the drink and suck the chocolate. The heat of the drink melts the choccie in my mouth. It takes ages to eat it this way but by the time I've finished I feel like I've had more! I also have a fab ice-cream recipe. The quantities are 100 g frozen berries, 100ml double cream and 1/2 - 1 tsp trivia. I find this makes enough for 1 greedy person! Blitz the berries in a food processor. Add sugar and cream. Blitz. You may need to stir, them blitz again. Sometimes I need to add a little more cream it doesn't freeze so you have to eat it up. Lol! 150 of everything made 6 scoops which was enough for me and my 2 young children. Obviously fruit contains fructose but I actually had this twice this week - I like to live dangerously. Had a glass of wine too so just hope I've maintained not gained :(

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Congratulations! How good does that feel! I also have dark choccie. Just a square after my evening meal. What I do is eat it with a hot drink. I nibble a corner, have a little bit of the drink and suck the chocolate. The heat of the drink melts the choccie in my mouth. It takes ages to eat it this way but by the time I've finished I feel like I've had more! I also have a fab ice-cream recipe. The quantities are 100 g frozen berries, 100ml double cream and 1/2 - 1 tsp trivia. I find this makes enough for 1 greedy person! Blitz the berries in a food processor. Add sugar and cream. Blitz. You may need to stir, them blitz again. Sometimes I need to add a little more cream it doesn't freeze so you have to eat it up. Lol! 150 of everything made 6 scoops which was enough for me and my 2 young children. Obviously fruit contains fructose but I actually had this twice this week - I like to live dangerously. Had a glass of wine too so just hope I've maintained not gained :(
Lost 1lb! Just feels soo slow! :(

caitrionaanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been so strict with my eating so bring realistic I prob can't keep up such a restricted diet. Do the weight loss will slow!!! I find that as I'm so anxious all the time it curbs my appetite so I'm screwed when that gets sorted!!!! The ice cream receipt sounds yum!!! May try that!! I really miss my cups of tea - just can't get used to sweeteners or no sugar!!!!