Diagnosed with Type 2 and struggling.....

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds yum! Please could you post the quantities!
I just put in enough butter and a bit of water till it will form a rough ball, when the butter is back in the fridge it will set and hold as a ball
start with 1/4 cup cocoa to 1 cup coconut shredded/dessicated, sweetner if you wish

lots of recipe ideas, just cut the ingredient with carbs and swap for something low carb that will do a similar thing in the recipe
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...e_rd=ctrl&ei=yOAwU6HVJsaN8QeIiICYBw&gws_rd=cr

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I just put in enough butter and a bit of water till it will form a rough ball, when the butter is back in the fridge it will set and hold as a ball
start with 1/4 cup cocoa to 1 cup coconut shredded/dessicated, sweetner if you wish

lots of recipe ideas, just cut the ingredient with carbs and swap for something low carb that will do a similar thing in the recipe
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=coconut cocoa balls&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=ctrl&ei=yOAwU6HVJsaN8QeIiICYBw&gws_rd=cr
Thank you! :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my pleb nOOb thing is wet, dry, thickener, setter. get this right and it will be fine and what ever it is, don't be afraid of chucking an egg in and sticking it in a microwave for a minute or two

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have felt positive from the start, diagnosed January. I immediately got on my PC and read everything I could find about it and set about putting myself in control of it by losing weight as my first priority, increasing exercise, and learning. I tailored my weight loss diet to foods I know and like as that way I was less likely to fall off the wagon, so I still enjoy my meals, am not hungry, stay between 120 and 130g carbs and have lost 16lbs. I have resisted getting a bs monitor for the time being as I knew that would obsess me and I would get stressed if my levels were misbehaving. I know this goes against everyone's advice on here, but I also know myself! I will have my first 3 month HbA1c test in April, and if my levels haven't improved enough I will reconsider.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My motivation was retaining my health. I threw myself into learning as much as possible and set myself a target to lose five and a half stone in weight. With short term goals of weight reduction and also glucose targets. I maintain all of my data in a spreadsheet containing bg levels, exercise, food, other comments.

I am always the optimist (so work tells me anyway) so that has helped but if I didnt have targets I would have been in a not as good position as I am at the moment. Like BlueTit I was also only recently diagnosed (the week before Christmas) and looking forward to my HbA1c in a 10 days time.

diabeticdancer

How did you all make yourself feel positively about being diagnosed? I just can't seem to come to terms with it and need to like good again :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
I am trying to see it as even more motivation to take better care of myself. Also, I have looked at type 1 success stories instead of looking at what could go wrong and all the negative effects of diabetes.

Hope you are ok. I'm recently diagnosed too and it is a bit ****,

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd previously been diagnosed with a condition that I can do absolutely nothing about - and have no control over how/when/if it progresses - so diabetes was something I could at least do something about and have some control over. I threw myself into reading and research about it and that seemed to be the spark I needed. I found having a meter and being able to test/confirm what effect different foods had on my BG levels very inspiring. I also find the ghastly complications of not taking control to be a huge motivation tool.

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=coconut cocoa balls&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=ctrl&ei=yOAwU6HVJsaN8QeIiICYBw&gws_rd=cr

Really think I got the wrong end of the stick with this recipe. Today bought desiccated coconut, but also bought 85% Plain chocolate, will weigh the coconut balls and will also weigh after they are covered in (melted) chocolate.........

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
How did you all make yourself feel positively about being diagnosed? I just can't seem to come to terms with it and need to like good again :(

You really are feeling fed-up aren't you? I was lucky in some ways, my doc said 'You're diabetic' I said 'ok'. I was totally ignorant about all of it, I knew absolutely zilch, zero and totally nothing so I didn't go through all the anxiety and heartbreak. Sometimes, ignorance IS bliss.

Anyhow, I had to find out about what it was all about didn't I? So I did. All I can say is that positive action is the best thing in the world. Facing up to the facts and doing something about it is half the battle I find. Find out all you can about your condition, find out about the drugs you are on (if any). Read all you can about how to deal with this and saying that, this forum is absolutely brilliant for that. There is a truckload of info on here, a lot to absorb but you will get there, promise. There are many paths to controlling the big D, it's very individual but there will be a path for you and one day you will find you are dealing with it and perhaps, as many have found, that you are a healthier, fitter person because of it.

Chin up hon. ;)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really think I got the wrong end of the stick with this recipe. Today bought desiccated coconut, but also bought 85% Plain chocolate, will weigh the coconut balls and will also weigh after they are covered in (melted) chocolate.........

a little bit but they will be lovely, but higher in carb
I meant the plain cocoa powder usually sold in a box. The one that's used for choc sponge cakes, dirt cheap and it has next to zero carbs
mix that with the coconut and add enough softened butter to get it sticky enough to just form a ball, do a small batch first to practice and add sweetner if you want
put in the fridge/freezer till the butter goes hard and then roll in dry cocoa powder, or dip the top of the ball in your 85% melted chocolate if the carbs are ok for you and it shouldn't be that many and a lot less than a mars bar
if it's too buttery coconut oil will set in the fridge too, copha is good but it's a trans fat

does this make more sense?

Last edited by a moderator:

caitrionaanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yeah really fed up. Trying to be positive but it's proving hard to be honest. The logic side of my head knows that it's de kick in de backside I need to get healthy but part of me is in denial and doesn't want to change!!

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
There must be something you would want to change regardless of diabetes?
Thinner? Fitter? More active? Different foods?

If you have chocolate cravings try Atkins bars or a low Cal hot chocolate.

But if you dont want to do anything about it you dont have to, it's your body and your health. I was denial for ages, carried on eating what I wanted and felt fine.
BUT- I gradually started to loose sensation in my fingers.

Cara

Joe Sweatthang

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not Paragliding
Get into the habit of reading the ingredient list on packaged/processed food - it was a real wakeup call for me. If it reads like a chemistry experiment with more than a few real food ingredients, I put it back on the shelf.
And you'll find that everything goes back on the shelf.

Welcome. Your despair will diminish as you become accustomed to taking care of yourself. The complications are avoidable and risks decrease if you manage your diet and exercise lots. And when you start feeling fitter and better, all the negativity goes away. Get to know everything about your own blood. Don't be afraid to ask your nurse or GP all the questions that will help you to take control.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Catriona, if you had been told you had some form of food sensitivity which meant you had to modify your diet, to feel better, would you have handled it differently? I'm absolutely not a believer in labels, and fine the diabetes labels is something many people, including ourselves, associate with fear and negativity.

There are many, many other conditions that require a lifelong change of some sort, but I accept what we eat, and the social aspects of that are quite fundamental to how we live, and, to a lesser extent, how we interact with others.

I was diagnosed in October, and have modified my diet, based on what made my sugars bounce, and have achieved great results so far. I was diagnosed just a couple of weeks before embarking on a very long foreign trip, so I just had to get my act together, pronto. I spent a lot of time reading, and thinking about how I could take control of this thing. For me, pro activity is the key.

I wouldn't tell you to get a grip, because I understand that's extremely unhelpful when you feel so low, but you must try to find a way forward for yourself. Once you have been without sweet things for just a few days, your cravings are likely to reduce. For someone who can't handle sugars too well, eating sugars is almost like an addict feeding their addiction. It's a cycle we need to break.

Stick with us here. We all have a story which is a variation on a theme to everyone else's, so we can relate to you. Sometimes life stinks, but I can honestly say that 5 months in, I have a great diet. I am ultra slim, and I feel fantastic. I have a bit of an ongoing craving for a chocolate eclair, but, thus far, I'm able to push it to one side.

Ditch the labels, and get into the next phase of your life. Life's too short to waste it railing against something we can't change.

Reactions: 5 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yeah really fed up. Trying to be positive but it's proving hard to be honest. The logic side of my head knows that it's de kick in de backside I need to get healthy but part of me is in denial and doesn't want to change!!

Ok. You've got diabetes. You can't change that so time to go forward. Don't think about what you can't have. Don't deny yourself anything but say this to yourself: ok, I can have this if I want to but it's not a good idea. What will happen if I don't change? Will I be able to cope with the consequences? Take control. Only you can decide what you put in your mouth, after all. I found that a food diary, regular bs monitoring and weekly weight checks helped. I bought some dark chocolate. Put it in the cupboard and after 3 weeks, I got it out, made a warm drink, broke off one square and nibbled it whilst drinking my coffee. It melted in my mouth and I found that this satisfied my craving for the occasional sweet thing. Do you need to lose weight? I needed to lose 6 stone. My ideal weight is 10 stone. I thought that felt overwhelming so I thought, let's see if I can lose 1/2 a stone. I went with LCHF but you could try low GI or whatever floats your boat. I have lost 1 stone 6lbs. My size 20 suit fits. I now know that I can go to a normal shop (most places go up to a 20) and buy clothes and psychologically that makes me feel good. Had to buy new bras today. Made sure I bought really pretty ones. Only a couple as I am determined to lose more. If I can't have pizza or dessert (blood sugar goes ballistic) and only the occasional glass of wine then the ultimate trade off is going to be looking good and having a fab wardrobe. Here endeth the lecture - take care X

Reactions: 7 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Catriona

I know this is probably going to sound as if its all about me when it should be about you, but I haven't been here long enough to feel able to give advice, but I hope I can give encouragement.

I'm new here too and was in a very bad way when I stumbled on this website. It was out of character for me to be feeling low and lethargic and on top of that I was angry and scared at the amount of weight I was gaining which I didn't have any control over.

I was complaining to a girlfriend one day who asked if I had I thought of giving up bread (my weakness!) So I did a Google search to find out what alternatives there were to bread and this site popped up! I spent hours digesting everything I read and realised I didn't just want to give up bread but all carbs, based on the posts on the forum. Talk about synchronicity!

I gave up bread and went low carb that very day and haven't looked back. The brain fog cleared and my energy is returning. I'm loving actually taking care of myself, monitoring my bg at regular intervals, watching them slowly drop to more acceptable levels daily, and seeing what foods have an effect on me.

I was more cautious about adopting the high fat foods after being conditioned to low fat eating most of my adult life, but am slowly introducing full fat cream, cheese and yoghurts into my diet and enjoying being indulgent.

I also took on board what other members here posted about the importance of exercise. I've upped my exercise regime, which lifts spirits and helps with the weight loss. In less than 2 weeks, I've lost 3lbs, but more importantly I'm starting to feel human again.

Never was there a truer saying than we are what we eat.

Sometimes we do need a nudge or a wake-up call. Keep reading the posts and the success stories and eventually you will read something that makes you sit up and want to have what you are reading about. That first step is the biggest but you won't look back, I promise you.

Take control while you can. Don't leave it too late until it becomes out of your control

Be gentle on yourself, but also be kind to yourself, by taking care of your body and your health.

Good luck x

Reactions: 8 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi Catriona

I know this is probably going to sound as if its all about me when it should be about you, but I haven't been here long enough to feel able to give advice, but I hope I can give encouragement.

I'm new here too and was in a very bad way when I stumbled on this website. It was out of character for me to be feeling low and lethargic and on top of that I was angry and scared at the amount of weight I was gaining which I didn't have any control over.

I was complaining to a girlfriend one day who asked if I had I thought of giving up bread (my weakness!) So I did a Google search to find out what alternatives there were to bread and this site popped up! I spent hours digesting everything I read and realised I didn't just want to give up bread but all carbs, based on the posts on the forum. Talk about synchronicity!

I gave up bread and went low carb that very day and haven't looked back. The brain fog cleared and my energy is returning. I'm loving actually taking care of myself, monitoring my bg at regular intervals, watching them slowly drop to more acceptable levels daily, and seeing what foods have an effect on me.

I was more cautious about adopting the high fat foods after being conditioned to low fat eating most of my adult life, but am slowly introducing full fat cream, cheese and yoghurts into my diet and enjoying being indulgent.

I also took on board what other members here posted about the importance of exercise. I've upped my exercise regime, which lifts spirits and helps with the weight loss. In less than 2 weeks, I've lost 3lbs, but more importantly I'm starting to feel human again.

Never was there a truer saying than we are what we eat.

Sometimes we do need a nudge or a wake-up call. Keep reading the posts and the success stories and eventually you will read something that makes you sit up and want to have what you are reading about. That first step is the biggest but you won't look back, I promise you.

Take control while you can. Don't leave it too late until it becomes out of your control

Be gentle on yourself, but also be kind to yourself, by taking care of your body and your health.

Good luck x
Congratulations! See LCHF does work! Just think how good you'll feel when it comes to a stone! My husband who is not diabetic keeps rubbing his weight loss in my face - 1 stone 10lbs since 28th of Jan and now in 32 inch waist jeans, the git! Makes me even more determined to lose. I am size 20 and want to be a 16. When I get there, I'm going to think of being a 14! Just wish I could ditch the weight quicker - lol! Glad you're feeling better x

Reactions: 4 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations! See LCHF does work! Just think how good you'll feel when it comes to a stone! My husband who is not diabetic keeps rubbing his weight loss in my face - 1 stone 10lbs since 28th of Jan and now in 32 inch waist jeans, the git! Makes me even more determined to lose. I am size 20 and want to be a 16. When I get there, I'm going to think of being a 14! Just wish I could ditch the weight quicker - lol! Glad you're feeling better x

Yea, yea Scandichic. LCHF works!! :p

Your posts gave me hope and encouragement. and so did your own personal story Thank you so much

Good luck with your quest to be the next Ulrika Johnson!

xx

Last edited by a moderator:

caitrionaanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
All of you are so positive! I'm slowly getting there. Still feel really tired and foggy but I'm sure when in feeling great I will be happy. I have been really strict in my diet. So I'm not taking chances but still only learning wat sends my sugar levels soaring. It's a long process!!! I really do miss my sweet foods though and the cravings never seem to go!!! But I'll get there!!