Diarrhoea for 3 months

Rleady1357

Hi all I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced chronic diarrhoea after every single meal no matter what you have?

I am absolutely terrified of asking for help

Thanks

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That is not normal for T1, you should talk to your docs, you may have an allergy to something that is causing it or it could be anything (you posted in the T1 section so i was assuming you were T1, it would be useful if you filled in your profile though :))

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
You should seek medical help. At the very least you could consider OTC preparations that would stop this but you do need to know the root cause. There is likely be to be a straightforward and treatable explanation. If left untreated you could become dehydrated and malnourished. What are you afraid of?

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced chronic diarrhoea after every single meal no matter what you have?

I am absolutely terrified of asking for help

Thanks
You need to speak to your doctors. Please don’t be afraid to go speak to them, that’s what they are there for

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Are you by any chance consuming a lot of artificial sweetener?

Rleady1357

You should seek medical help. At the very least you could consider OTC preparations that would stop this but you do need to know the root cause. There is likely be to be a straightforward and treatable explanation. If left untreated you could become dehydrated and malnourished. What are you afraid of?

Thanks for the reply I’m just really anxious that I will have something else seriously wrong with my insides that I can’t control and my head can’t handle the diabetes never mind another condition!

I limit myself to one can of pop per day (diet of course) and the rest just water

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the reply I’m just really anxious that I will have something else seriously wrong with my insides that I can’t control

Well not to put too fine a point on it, if you don't know what's causing it you certainly cannot control it, but if you know what's causing it then steps will more than likely be available to help with it.

Some things can take longer to diagnose though so it may take a while, hopefully it wont take too long to identify

Reactions: EllieM

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Thanks for the reply I’m just really anxious that I will have something else seriously wrong with my insides that I can’t control and my head can’t handle the diabetes never mind another condition!

I limit myself to one can of pop per day (diet of course) and the rest just water
Chronic diarrhoea can be the result of persistent high average blood glucose. This may not be an "additional" problem, but as others say, requires medical attention immediately. Here is something that happened to me 36 years ago:
It was in 1985 that I realised that violent episodes of diarrhoea can be related to rapid rises in blood sugar. Consider the body’s reaction to extreme fear. Adrenaline is released into the blood stream to raise the blood sugar level momentarily. Extreme fear is often equated with diarrhoea, I suspect because this is one of the brain’s methods of ridding the system of excess sugar. In diabetics it is usually the urinary system which performs this function, but in the summer of 1985, I started to experience frighteningly prolonged bouts and even more alarmingly, an uncontrollable temper which was fuelled by an apparent adrenaline rush. Having a ten month old daughter in the house would not be compatible. One July morning I went to work and Phil Power, the Traffic Manager, made a slight criticism. I replied in a fast but quiet bass tone which rapidly rose to a high pitched scream as I smashed my fist down on the desk. “I think you had better go outside to calm down” said Phil with a slight element of surprise on his face. Very wise man. Outside I stood against the wall shaking with a mixture of shame and of fright brought on by my lack of control. I went to see Dr Ruth Lister, a well-known GP who was our family doctor in Bury St Edmunds. She thought that my autonomic system might have packed up - a futuristic view at the time. The autonomic system is the brain sending messages to each bodily component to ensure that it works at the due time. Dr Lister referred me to the West Suffolk Hospital for a five day observation. This included a Barium enema.

Not long into my stay the diarrhoea had abated and I later realised that this was due to the precision of the Hospital regime.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I once put off going to the dentist for about 4 years for similar reasons. Eventually I just had to go and though I did need some work done it was nothing like as bad as I was fearing and the relief of having gone was enormous. I know that dentistry is no where near as scary as potential T1 complications but honestly the same principle applies. Whatever you are imagining is likely to be much more scary than the reality, and if it isn't then that just means you really need to go.

Lots of virtual hugs. Please make that appointment.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Some type1s are now given metformin which can upset the system. Are you using metformin @Rleady1357 ?

Rleady1357

I once put off going to the dentist for about 4 years for similar reasons. Eventually I just had to go and though I did need some work done it was nothing like as bad as I was fearing and the relief of having gone was enormous. I know that dentistry is no where near as scary as potential T1 complications but honestly the same principle applies. Whatever you are imagining is likely to be much more scary than the reality, and if it isn't then that just means you really need to go.

Lots of virtual hugs. Please make that appointment.

Hi have been told it maybe chronic pancreatitis!

Handing poop samples in tomorrow