Did a plant base diet ever work for metabolic syndromes?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As an aside I am laughing at how much is jumping on the plant based wagon, even it it always was. Yesterday a chocolate dessert made from cocoa (plant) and cream (dairy) was trumpeted as plant based. I'd be very interested to find any meat based chocolate mousse...

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I believe there are some. Their forum is interesting it’s more Q & A. There is also a recipe collection you can browse.
Ah yes.
https://www.xperthealth.org.uk/x-pert-blogs/considerations-for-a-meat-free-diet/
They incompletely state B12 is essential for the nervous system, but in actual fact, it is more essential in the production of hemoglobin.

I agree with what they write here, but it is without reference to diabetes in any form, so I was unable to find anything about using their courses to support a plant based regime per se.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have about 75% veg with my 25% meat, so thats plant based - unless the terminology has a specific meaning? I get confused with all the terms : (

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As an aside I am laughing at how much is jumping on the plant based wagon, even it it always was. Yesterday a chocolate dessert made from cocoa (plant) and cream (dairy) was trumpeted as plant based. I'd be very interested to find any meat based chocolate mousse...
You may be right about chocolate mousse, but there are meat based mousses around. For it to be plant-based, it cannot use gelatin, or milk or egg products but rely on ersatz equivalents such as seaweed extract, soymilk etc. Honey is also not to be used, but HFCS is an acceptable alternative, I believe.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may be right about chocolate mousse, but there are meat based mousses around. For it to be plant-based, it cannot use gelatin, or milk or egg products but rely on ersatz equivalents such as seaweed extract, soymilk etc. Honey is also not to be used, but HFCS is an acceptable alternative, I believe.
So plant based means vegan?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So plant based means vegan?
In its strictest form, yes, but with no worldwide legal definition it can be plastered across almost anything, hence my chocolate mousse example which uses animal products of milk and eggs

I also laugh at the adverts for "plant based products" made to look like meat. A true vegan not eating animal products for 'humane ' reasons, would not really want to see anything that represents a dead animal

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

"Honey is also not to be used, but HFCS is an acceptable alternative, I believe." What better than the English language to have expressed this absurdity.Loved it.

Reactions: Oldvatr

Drfarxan

I have about 75% veg with my 25% meat, so thats plant based - unless the terminology has a specific meaning? I get confused with all the terms : (
Hello lucklocket,
Looking at your HbA1c it doesn't look like you are in remission. So it made me a little curious and i have some questions if you don't mind.
Are you on a ketogenic diet? or just low carb? If no which diet are you on? When did you start the diet? Are you using any meds? if yes which ones? What is your BMI now and did it change through out the 9 years you have had diabetes?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you mean by remission? I have nearly normal levels, just inside the type 2 diabetes level after 9 years of diagnosis.

If you read my past posts you will know what I eat etc.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello lucklocket,
Looking at your HbA1c it doesn't look like you are in remission. So it made me a little curious and i have some questions if you don't mind.
Are you on a ketogenic diet? or just low carb? If no which diet are you on? When did you start the diet? Are you using any meds? if yes which ones? What is your BMI now and did it change through out the 9 years you have had diabetes?
Ps. What type of diabetes do you have, or what is your connection with diabetes?

Drfarxan

What do you mean by remission? I have nearly normal levels, just inside the type 2 diabetes level after 9 years of diagnosis.

If you read my past posts you will know what I eat etc.
Remission as in non diabetic HbA1c levels but some people consider below 48mmol/ml prediabetic levels as remission.

It would have been nice if you answered but its ok. I was just curious
Ps: i have type 2 diabetes

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Remission as in non diabetic HbA1c levels but some people consider below 48mmol/ml prediabetic levels as remission.

People might be more forthcoming if they knew why you were asking and if you set an example by giving details of your own condition.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I did answer. Look at my post history for the information you are seeking, and read the signature under my posts.

Reactions: Drfarxan

Beating-My-Betes

I also laugh at the adverts for "plant based products" made to look like meat. A true vegan not eating animal products for 'humane ' reasons, would not really want to see anything that represents a dead animal

Unless there's an entire pigs head, turkey or fish on your dinner plate then there's very little in terms of animal products that look like the actual animals from whence they came.

The majority of vegans have spent most of their lives eating non-vegan fayre, so I don't see it as odd to try to re-create those foods without all the horror that comes with it. And while I understand why many vegans get squeamish about the similarities in look or texture, I am not. Were someone to put a lab-grown steak in front of me, that had been guaranteed to be suffering and death free i.e not a part of the general meat industry, I'd probably eat it. I'd at least try it. But I wouldn't make a habit of eating it.

Tannith

BANNED
Unless there's an entire pigs head, turkey or fish on your dinner plate then there's very little in terms of animal products that look like the actual animals from whence they came.

The majority of vegans have spent most of their lives eating non-vegan fayre, so I don't see it as odd to try to re-create those foods without all the horror that comes with it. And while I understand why many vegans get squeamish about the similarities in look or texture, I am not. Were someone to put a lab-grown steak in front of me, that had been guaranteed to be suffering and death free i.e not a part of the general meat industry, I'd probably eat it. I'd at least try it. But I wouldn't make a habit of eating it.
Nice to see you back after one thread where you had been making useful contributions got closed

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, type 1 vegetarian here... can't therefore comment on vegan lifestyle but some assumptions seem to have been made in the thread which I query.

A lot of health benefit can be gained from moving away from processed food (or not having it too often). Similarly, the cut of meat you choose and I would guess the quality of the meat has an impact on health too. I find it funny when there are vegan or veggie alternatives which essentially are ready meals. I wouldn't consider these, and would carefully look at the ingredients list. The fact that it is vegan wouldn't necessarily be an issue though, it is the processing/preservatives/fillers to add bulk which I would attribute to glucose spikes. Indeed, cheap sausages usually have carby fillers, if I ate meat I'd avoid these just like I avoid veggie sausage alternatives.

Vegetarian foods certainly don't have to be high carb. I frequently eat under 50g carbs a day, only over 100g a day at Christmas usually. I'm not trying to eat low carb, it has always just been my usual diet even pre-diagnosis. I do appreciate many type 2s would struggle on 50g carbs a day but don't understand the assumption that all vegan meals must be high carb. I also find it funny when veggie or vegan foods try to copy meaty foods. I find it is when they're trying to replicate meat dishes that the extra carbs get added. You might find cooking veggie/vegan foods yourself results in lower carb meals as you've chosen what to add.

The benefits one person perceives will depend on their goal. Don't forget non diabetics have glucose spikes. Obviously we need to avoid staying high or having yo-yos. You will approach this very differently depending on your diabetes type and other health conditions and other medication too of course.

Tannith

BANNED

Either a fasting plasma glucose test or an HbA1c test may be used to diagnose type 2 diabetes or prediabetes.

The following results indicate the presence of prediabetes:

• Fasting plasma glucose: 5.5 mmol/L to 6.9 mmol/L
  • HbA1c: 42 to 47 mmol/mol (6.0 to 6.4%) [361]
  • https://www.diabetes.co.uk/pre-diabetes.html. This also suggests that your figure of 48mmol/ml is the bottom level of full blown diabetes. But the bottom level of prediabetes is 42 mmol/ml. Below that is non diabetic/normoglycaemic. So 41mmol/ml ?

target6point4

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am an on and off member here and thought I should add my two cents worth to this discussion.

I have been diagnosed with T2 in 2013 and have tried almost everything since then to achieve a good balance between sugar numbers and quality of life. My current approach is to completely cut out meat products and heavily restrict dairy consumption (Just the coffee with some cream and some dessert once a week) I have noticed that since taking this approach, my diabetic medications have been having a more pronounced effect to the point that I have reduced my Insulin dosage to a bare minimum and still see fasting numbers under 8. (These used to be 11+ at one point despite more meds)

After everything, I would say that it all boils down to just one word, "discipline". There are a few things that you have to be a bit of a fanatic about but they can be really worth it. My personal tips would be:

1) Restrict yourself to two hearty meals a day with maybe a tea/coffee somewhere in between.
2) No meat substitutes. No matter how fancy they sound. Vegetable products stuffed with chemicals to make them look/smell/taste like meat are an absolute no no.
3) White breads/pasta/rice should be replaced by brown counterparts while restricting their portions to under 80g of carb per meal. This adds up to 160g per day.
4) No processed sauces etc. The less food you consume out of plastic/glass packaging, the better.
5) Hydrate regularly
6) If possible, fast occassionally. Fasting has traditionally been part of all cultures and for goood reason. I have noticed that doing IF for just a week can improve fasting numbers.
7) Some moderate exercise to top it off. Walking vigourously for even 30 mins can have a wonderful effect.

To answer the OP's question, plant based diets can be helpful but it is also very easy to get them wrong.