Did anyone watch Jonathan Ross show

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am totally ragging I was just watching the Jonathan Ross show, Johnny Vegas was on mocking diabetes! How fat people get it and eating sugar this highly offended me! I have complained to ofcom am I over reacting?

Reactions: 8 people

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
he should be careful as it can hit anyone at any time, I never saw it but I will do

Reactions: 4 people

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was a shame he didn't persue the conversatile with one if his other guests, who was obviously a type 1.
Trouble is that would have strayed to far off script.

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was a shame he didn't persue the conversatile with one if his other guests, who was obviously a type 1.
Trouble is that would have strayed to far off script.
Yes I noticed that too! He said there is two types and then that was really all x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Can't stand Jonathan Ross, so didn't see the programme, he is a has been, who acts like a 10 year old.:yuck:

Reactions: 12 people

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can't stand Jonathan Ross, so didn't see the programme, he is a has been, who acts like a 10 year old.:yuck:
It was just on in the background and then I heard diabetes so I started watching and it was that jonny Vegas slagging it off!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I was watching the show. Johnny Vegas described himself in a very self deprecating manner as a "fat git" but was also complaining that he was assumed to be diabetic because he was. He then mentioned that James Norton was Diabetic. At that point it descended into farce as it was clearly off script and James clearly hadn't agreed to discuss this live on telly.

Like many posters on the forum, I suspect he was finding it a little difficult to talk about.

They moved off it quickly I won't say it was handled well, but I think you need to consider everyone who was involved and their point of view.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hardy a subject of humour, as the show is pre-recorded I'm surprised it wasn't edited out.

Wasn't aware that James Norton had type 1 diabetes, been watching him in the BBC's adaptations of Tolstoy's War and Peace and he is one fine actor.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It was just on in the background and then I heard diabetes so I started watching and it was that jonny Vegas slagging it off!

Maybe I could watch that clip on the computer ? as we can all see the same thing or read the same thing and have a very different views?? Tim mentioned James Norton, I have no idea who he is ?
Johnathan Ross, IMO, is a washed up has been, a man ( I use the term 'man' very lightly) who acts like a buffoon, a gross micky taker and so full of himself, he should of been hung, drawn and quartered long ago because of the way he treats his quests and other targeted poor souls, especially when another like minded buffoon joins up with him. Ban him from TV, indefinitely and bring back the village stocks I say :) that would be much better viewing :watching:
RRB

Reactions: 2 people

Donnadoobie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate the Jonathan Ross show anyway so didn't see it.

How ignorant of Johnny Vegas when, by his own judgement, is at high risk of developing it too. Shame it wasn't either edited out or challenged.

M

mrspuddleduck

I have no time for Jonathan Ross and no interest in Johnny Vegas but I have now watched this on 'catch up'. At the risk of making myself unpopular can I make 2 comments. Firstly my interpretation was that Vegas' comments were satirical, as is much of his style of comedy, he was commenting on the nonsense within our current political and societal attitude, that just because he is fat he's automatically considered diabetic. Secondly if you Google James Norton it is frequently mentioned that he is a type 1 diabetic, so whilst Ross may have caused embarrassment as it appeared unscripted, he certainly didn't 'out him', and given Ross' reputation why was Norton or anyone else for that matter, surprised?

Reactions: 12 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In a BBC episode of "Siblings" the other night, there was a dodgy line about a T1 teacher too.. More of a cheap shot than anything else.

Emmar0

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Just put it down to where it came from, people shouldn't get offended, he wasnt mocking people with diabetes, if you listen well it was quite a self depracation.
I have no time for Jonathan Ross and no interest in Johnny Vegas but I have now watched this on 'catch up'. At the risk of making myself unpopular can I make 2 comments. Firstly my interpretation was that Vegas' comments were satirical, as is much of his style of comedy, he was commenting on the nonsense within our current political and societal attitude, that just because he is fat he's automatically considered diabetic. Secondly if you Google James Norton it is frequently mentioned that he is a type 1 diabetic, so whilst Ross may have caused embarrassment as it appeared unscripted, he certainly didn't 'out him', and given Ross' reputation why was Norton or anyone else for that matter, surprised?

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The conversation started after Vegas stated that "the diabetic association, had asked him to speak about his condition"" assuming he was diabetic . Because ,quote "I'm a fat git. So if your looking for anyone to blame, it's the Diabetic association

Emmar0

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
.....self deprecating about his physique and how he is often assumed to have diabetes mainly because of this. It is classic stereotyping by the uneducated public. And James Norton bless him for taking it all in his stride he is obviously not letting his type 1 define him. My hubby is type 2 and I also care for a gentleman who is type 1.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe I could watch that clip on the computer ? as we can all see the same thing or read the same thing and have a very different views?? Tim mentioned James Norton, I have no idea who he is ?
Johnathan Ross, IMO, is a washed up has been, a man ( I use the term 'man' very lightly) who acts like a buffoon, a gross micky taker and so full of himself, he should of been hung, drawn and quartered long ago because of the way he treats his quests and other targeted poor souls, especially when another like minded buffoon joins up with him. Ban him from TV, indefinitely and bring back the village stocks I say :) that would be much better viewing :watching:
RRB

Lol. I have a differed perspective on JR. Sure he's made a couple of judgment errors. (Haven't we all.!?) but he holds the "chat show" format together quite tight, whilst making it seem informal & impromptu. I feel there is a reasonable generosity with his guests.. Essentially these shows are just a vehicle to sell an artists new book/TV show/film/tour/album/play... ;)

Reactions: 3 people