Did anyone watch Jonathan Ross show

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I am type one and 23 years of age I never tell anyone I have diabetes not even people in my work! Because most people think you get diabetes from being fat or eating to much sugar because of the media! I find it embarrassing and makes me hate having it even more

Having just noticed that you are type I, and although fully understanding where you're coming from, telling nobody might not be the best thing to do. I remember a chap at work collapsing and someone suggesting he was drunk, just as well there was somebody who knew he was type I. Who knows what might have happened if he'd been dumped in one of the conference rooms to sober up, which had been suggested, in an effort to prevent higher management from discovering his "drunkenness".

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I could never wish diabetes on anyone ever, regardless of who they were or my feelings towards them. Surely rising above ignorance and education is far more effective than spite and vengeance?

One should remember. "Humour" is also a way of "softening the blow" on whatever happens in life... Wheather one experiences or worries about it.!?

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having just noticed that you are type I, and although fully understanding where you're coming from, telling nobody might not be the best thing to do. I remember a chap at work collapsing and someone suggesting he was drunk, just as well there was somebody who knew he was type I. Who knows what might have happened if he'd been dumped in one of the conference rooms to sober up, which had been suggested, in an effort to prevent higher management from discovering his "drunkenness".

Good point. It has been documented that a "drunk" had been thrown in police cells to "sober up" and account in the morning.
Sadly the mistake had been overlooked....

Last edited by a moderator:

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought it was funny myself, and it showed that you cant judge a book by its cover. Hopefully a lot of people watching may have been surprised about the stereotypes being reversed and maybe learned something. I get the 'but you're not fat' comment but just see it as an opportunity to educate!

Reactions: 3 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's the clip below the Granchester one,
"Wherein James talks about War and Peace and Grantchester, reveals he has diabetes type 1, demonstrates he can play the clarinet, plays mouth trumpet and is generally incredibly delightful, as always"
didn't realise that there were two (think the first one is probably far better viewing than the clip with Jonathon Ross)

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's the clip below the Granchester one,
"Wherein James talks about War and Peace and Grantchester, reveals he has diabetes type 1, demonstrates he can play the clarinet, plays mouth trumpet and is generally incredibly delightful, as always"
didn't realise that there were two (think the first one is probably far better viewing than the clip with Jonathon Ross)
Yes it's the bit before this it's slagging of diabetes how it's. Fat people who get it ect then the other person claims he had type one then kinda. Closed him. Off when he speaks about it

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I am type one and 23 years of age I never tell anyone I have diabetes not even people in my work! Because most people think you get diabetes from being fat or eating to much sugar because of the media! I find it embarrassing and makes me hate having it even more

I told everyone at work. Sounding like an expert in something at last, was too good an opportunity to miss. And I also hope they'll force some lucozade down my neck if they ever find me slumped over my computer!

Reactions: 6 people

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I told everyone at work. Sounding like an expert in something at last, was too good an opportunity to miss. And I also hope they'll force some lucozade down my neck if they ever find me slumped over my computer!
Haha I try have a lower sugar level at work as well because I only get five mins of personal time so don't want to be running to toilet every five mins when high. I have written on my medical records on work I have type one diabetes but never told my colleagues

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha I try have a lower sugar level at work as well because I only get five mins of personal time so don't want to be running to toilet every five mins when high. I have written on my medical records on work I have type one diabetes but never told my colleagues
With the best will in the world.
Not everyone is privy to your records at work.. & if they were? Probably the last place they would think of when dealing with you during a hypo. ;)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

I sure would ... who knows what someone potentially coming to your aid might have that they care to shrink away from?

Stererotypes can only be broken through awareness. Give that some thought if you could. Takes some courage but I reckon most would understand.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I could never wish diabetes on anyone ever, regardless of who they were or my feelings towards them. Surely rising above ignorance and education is far more effective than spite and vengeance?
I wouldn't wish it on anybody either, having now watched the program I can only say that an opportunity was missed to explain something about diabetes, but then the program had other objectives. I was amused that a diabetic society assumed JV was diabetic because of his obesity, I wonder how true that was?
I think we will all take it in different ways and there's nothing wrong with that. My skin has definitely thickened in the 17 years since diagnosis and my experience with friends, family and colleagues has always been that they generally understood something about diabetes and where their knowledge was thin, they weren't afraid to ask or look for the answer. I never had any problems with work and it's quite sad that anyone should consider not telling their employer of their diabetes, it may not be the best idea.

mikeoldfield

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am totally ragging I was just watching the Jonathan Ross show, Johnny Vegas was on mocking diabetes! How fat people get it and eating sugar this highly offended me! I have complained to ofcom am I over reacting?

DozyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am totally ragging I was just watching the Jonathan Ross show, Johnny Vegas was on mocking diabetes! How fat people get it and eating sugar this highly offended me! I have complained to ofcom am I over reacting?
I didn't watch Jonathan Ross, I can't stand him. He's so childish and thinks he's funny but isn't!

It irritates me that people get criticised for being diabetic because of their weight. It isn't necessarily the case. Diabetes in in my family, my Dad had it and his 2 brothers. I wasn't overweight when I found out I had it, my sister (who is considerably more overweight than I have ever been) hasn't got it, so why is it assumed that it's my fault that I have diabetes? I get infuriated about it. My Diabetic Nurse says, you haven't not got diabetes because you're overweight, you're overweight because you have diabetes!

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
hate johnathon ross. pity he does'nt live with a type 1 condition. I have never been fat and got it when i was 13

Dan87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Didn't see it but my girlfriend's mum asked me if I had, as she thought it was out of order. Personally it doesn't bother me when people take the mickey out of it/don't understand the condition, but that's just the way I am. I fully understand why people get offended as we have to live with the condition, these people who joke about it don't have a clue, I think knowing that is why I refuse to let these type of people bother me. Plus I'm a bit of a gallows humour sort of guy with my outlook on life, and get through each day being willing to take the mickey out of myself!

Positivo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
All I can suggest is that people look up the real true meaning of 'Inferiority Complex' and its manifestations, and they will more clearly understand the actions and 'personalities' of most of the rather obnoxious, often foul mouthed 'comedians' and presenters that lumber our media.

zoze_j

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Moths & mushrooms!
People who are ignorant towards diabetes :(
Animal cruelty
People who use their mobile phones whilst driving
Probably best I don't get actively involved in this thread after my last JR bashing/outburst...!! :joyful::joyful::joyful: