1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diet and insulin

Discussion in 'Low Calorie Diets' started by squirrel, Jun 13, 2009.

1. squirrel

squirrel · Well-Known Member

Hi, just wondering how much people have managed to reduce there insulin by when on i diet, i was taking 90 units of levimir but then went low carb, got insulin down to about 70 units but i never lost weight, i am now on scottish slimmers and have lost 8lb in two weeks, got levemir way down, only took 30 units last night but i have been going low all day so it looks like i will need to reduce it again.

2. Sid Bonkers

Sid Bonkers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have made relatively few changes to my diet since being diagnosed in March this year, I now use a smaller plate for my diner and have cut right back on portion sizes for all meals and also cut out snacks, I could never walk past a sweet shop without buying 3 or 4 chokolate bars and crisps before D-day :D .
    I came out of hospital on 48 units per day and I now I usually take between 24 and 30 units depending on the food I eat. I have lost 44lb or just over 3 stone.

Not all my insulin reduction is down to diet though as I have increased my Metformin over the first 4 weeks to 2000mg split morning and evening with meals.

Edited post 15/06/09. 08.27hrs

3. phoenix

phoenix Type 1 · Expert

The weight loss might have a bit to do with the reduced basal need, might also have something to do with the season but the loss seems far more than those would cause, a great reduction
    Can you tell us more about Scottish slimmers?

(Edited because other content no longer relevant)

4. breezy

breezy · Member

Im down to about 26 (am) and 16-18(pm)
    Before losing the weight I was on 30(am) and 28(pm)

:D

5. Jude

Jude Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi squirrel

Well done on the weight loss. How much has your diet changed since you have been going to the scottish slimming club? Jude

6. squirrel

squirrel · Well-Known Member

Hi, it has just helped me eat a bit more healthy, also once you get started your just not as hungry, im finding i dont eat enough to get the required checks. Have now found that as i dont need as much levimir carbs totaly shoot my bs right up, so im now cutting out bread and trying to select the low-carb options.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook