Diet and insulin

squirrel

Hi, just wondering how much people have managed to reduce there insulin by when on i diet, i was taking 90 units of levimir but then went low carb, got insulin down to about 70 units but i never lost weight, i am now on scottish slimmers and have lost 8lb in two weeks, got levemir way down, only took 30 units last night but i have been going low all day so it looks like i will need to reduce it again.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I have made relatively few changes to my diet since being diagnosed in March this year, I now use a smaller plate for my diner and have cut right back on portion sizes for all meals and also cut out snacks, I could never walk past a sweet shop without buying 3 or 4 chokolate bars and crisps before D-day :D .
I came out of hospital on 48 units per day and I now I usually take between 24 and 30 units depending on the food I eat. I have lost 44lb or just over 3 stone.

Not all my insulin reduction is down to diet though as I have increased my Metformin over the first 4 weeks to 2000mg split morning and evening with meals.

Edited post 15/06/09. 08.27hrs

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The weight loss might have a bit to do with the reduced basal need, might also have something to do with the season but the loss seems far more than those would cause, a great reduction
Can you tell us more about Scottish slimmers?

(Edited because other content no longer relevant)

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi squirrel

Well done on the weight loss. How much has your diet changed since you have been going to the scottish slimming club? Jude

squirrel

Hi, it has just helped me eat a bit more healthy, also once you get started your just not as hungry, im finding i dont eat enough to get the required checks. Have now found that as i dont need as much levimir carbs totaly shoot my bs right up, so im now cutting out bread and trying to select the low-carb options.