Diet coke

gefmayhem

Dislikes
salad
Can anyone tell me if drinking diet coke increases BS readings?
I drink a couple of litres of water a day at work but prefer diet coke while I'm driving and at home.
Ordinary DC while driving but caffine free at home, I very rarely drink coffee and when I do its caffine free as well

I did try using the search but got 52 pages of results and don't really have the time to go through them all

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I drink Fanta Zero and Lilt Zero occasionally when its hot and they do what it says on the tin, 'Zero' to my BG levels :D

bedshaped2000

a also drink the coke zero with no bg rise . however for some reason diet coke and diet pepsi gives me a significant rise and pepsi max just makes me have a thirst like the desert.

gefmayhem

Dislikes
salad
I've been type 2 for 20 years and recently been put on insulin as well as my glipizide and metformin.
I have cheese and 1 oatcake for breakfast and my highest reading of the day is usually the one before lunch - a late morning rise!
But by the time I do that test I am likely to have drunk 1.5 l of coke and 1/2 a litre of water.
I was talking about this at work as I'm about ot go on my first work night out since starting the insulin and someone said that diet coke fools your body into thinking its getting sugar and this raises your BS readings, although I fail to see how.

And I know I drink too much DC and need to cut down/stop :D

Interesting about the coke zero, I may try that instead for a while and see what happens

anniep

Fanta zero effects my BG, as it has some carbs in it, being zero added sugar not zero sugar. It is not very high but my body seems sensitive to it.

The diet 7 up does not effect me at all.

I have also read that caffeine effects BG, but it doesn't me which is goos as I am a lover of coffee.

It is interesting about the different coke drinks, I have not tested after them all only after one and assumed that they were all the same. I must check it out.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
anniep said:
Fanta zero effects my BG, as it has some carbs in it, being zero added sugar not zero sugar. It is not very high but my body seems sensitive to it.

Your right anniep, just checked a can and it states .6g carbs per 100ml of which sugars .6g so in a normal 330ml can thats about 2g of sugar.

Not a lot but its there.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I think I have lost count of the times this one has come up.......still the new members will get a heads up I suppose. There are, as gefmayhem said loads of posts about Diet Coke, Pepsi etc.

All you need to do to narrow things down is do a 'keyword' search of the first search results.......saves an awful lot of time and saves duplicating a previous post. Which means more work for us........ :(

I drink cans of both with no ill effects at all. Bg levels are not affected, mind you I usually only have a can a day, if that.

Ken

Alanem

Dislikes
Fish except from the chippy
For those who haven't seen it before here is a bit of food for thought.
funny2.com/water.htm
Some of it has been proven to be true but some hasn't. Why not find out?
Also in all decaf coffee it is a chemical process that removes the caffeine but what is left behind?

JamesA

Ingredients in coke etc (especially diet drinks) are linked to heart and kidney disease.
We are already at a higher risk of getting these in the long term.

The food industry thinks it can come up with magical solutions to things like this, but we end up taking in a substance and not food.

When I (or my kids) want fizzy drinks for a rare treat, I add cheap fizzy mineral water to full sugar squash (such as Robinsons Be Natural).

It may be unrealistic to cut out all dodgy stuff from our lives and blood glucose control is the top priority, but the uk versions of these drinks should be banned.