Type 2 Diet Coke

kim2023

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think Diet Coke increases sugar levels? One doctors says it doesn’t and the other doctor says it does. So I am confused.

Does anyone have proof that it does or doesn’t ? I know it’s not healthy but I do want to carry on drinking it if it doesn’t give me high sugar readings

Cluso

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as I have read it does not contain sugars, but the artificial sweeteners mess up other things that spike hormones...

I would avoid...

Reactions: filly

DaisyDuke 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish arrogant people.
I only drink Coke Zero sugar occasionally and always mixed 50/50 with sparkling water, its just to sweet otherwise.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I think the jury is still out on this one
Interesting article here

I guess you could always try testing with a meter to see if it makes any difference to you personally?

Reactions: kim2023 and filly

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Personally I find the diet drinks dont affect me at all (and yes I drink too much diet Coke), but have indeed read that the sweeteners can affect some people.

As said the only way to really tell is doing some blood tests with a meter to see if it affects you

Reactions: kim2023

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I heard that although it may not raise blood glucose it can still raise insulin?
In any case consuming any sweet item still keeps the mouth wanting more and causes the body to prepare to receive food, which it then doesn't and so our metabolism gets confused.
I'm also wary the diet drinks seem to have addictive qualities.
Personally for me there's too many doubts and unknowns, they are after all totally artificial.

Reactions: kim2023

kim2023

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your replies . I think I will test myself once I have a monitor