Diet controlled GD and birth experiences

katiem

Hi there,

It would be great to hear some other women's stories around GD and your labour/birth experince.

To explain my own situation, I have GD (my result after GTT was 8.4 so fairly borderline apparently) and I have found that by ruling out various foods through trial and error I am managing very well through diet alone to keep my readings well within the recommended ranges. I have another growth scan on Friday when I'll be nearly 36 weeks however I'm measuring normal for dates and the last scan (31 weeks) showed baby to be perfectly normal size.

However, I have had a couple appointments with a registrar at the ante-natal diabetic clinic at my nearest hospital who insists that I will still need to be induced at 40 weeks, that my BG levels will need to be monitored throughout labour and that my baby is likely to display signs of diabetes after birth.

The endocrinologist I saw said the exact opposite and my community midwife is in agreement. I'm feeling very confused as well as a bit frightened (especially as I'm taking care not to expose my baby to high BG) and struggling to know what to do for the best.

I did not have GD with my first baby but after a 46 hour labour with a great deal of medical intervention I'm desperate to have as normal as birth experience as I can this time around whilst still ensuring the best outcome for my baby.

I'd love to hear other women's experiences on this! :?

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Katie

I've had three children (two with borderline GD - 1st and 3rd) and the two subsequent births were a lot shorter than the first. Even without GD births can be very different.

As for scans for size, I had one at 36 weeks and was told that my baby was normal size for dates - she ended up being 9lb 7oz, so I don't know what happened there ... I was induced at 40 weeks. This was 19 years ago, so scans may be better now.

katiem

Thanks for replying Denise. I'm not so sure scans are better now from some stories I've heard! Good to hear subsequent labours were shorter!

Dipsy

I'm an awkward case! I've had a couple of diet controlled pregnancies and one insulin controlled. I've insisted on home-births and my local hospital has a policy written especially for me to do so! :mrgreen: All have been fine.

I do not have a cannula. I am not induced. I do not have extra monitoring. I have a natural 3rd stage. I do a blood test every couple of hours during labour and keep an eye on baby afterwards to make sure it feeds well - I can defrost some stored breastmilk and slowly syringe it into their mouth if they are sluggish. I decline any blood sugar tests for baby if it looks right - feeds well and is responsive. I am able to control my own blood sugar very tightly with diet now I've got the hang of low carbing (30g main meal, 15g snacks). I am an experienced mum (7 children), have done a LOT of research so I can argue my case, and have the confidence to make my own decisions!

Doctors and other staff are very quick to tell you what you have to do, but really they can only offer advice, and it is you who decide, at the end of the day. They can write "AGAINST ADVICE" all over your notes in big red letters, underlined 3 times if you chose not to do as they suggest and they want to cover themselves.

becki

Hi,

I had gd with my 2nd child and 18 months later became type 1, I was monitored every 1-2 weeks at the hospital and saw whatfelt like every professional possible. I had to have extra scans but normal procedure for gd's at our hospital. I was told that I would be induced at 38 1/2 weeks at the latest but my little one came at 37 weeks all by himself, natural labour. I was tested straight after delivery (went in to labour at t time after delivery 3 hours later I had normal levels). lawson was tested twice after delivery and was fine. I just got treat as a non diabetic until my 6 week check and all was fine.(until 18 months later lol~)