Diet controlled Type 2 - how to achieve the strict targets for pregnancy?

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I should start by saying that I am not pregnant or trying to conceive at the moment but I would like another child in the pretty near future so have been reading about diabetes during pregnancy and the strict BG targets for pregnancy.

I had GD when pregnant with my son who is now just turned 2; I was diagnosed Type 2 in April. My last HBA1c in July was 38 and I am due to have another next month. I am hopeful that it will be at a similar level as my own monitoring shows an average of around 6.0 (currently 5.8 for the last 2 weeks which is rather nice!).

I test on waking, before meals and 2 hours after meals. I only do occasional 1 hour tests. I see that the targets for BG during pregnancy are below 5.3 fasting and below 7.8 at 1 hour post meal and below 6.4 at 2 hours. My FBG is usually mid to high 5s and my pre-meal BGs vary from 4.8 to 6.0, 2 hours post meals I am generally under 7 but occasionally within 7s - I am only occasionally below 6.4 at 2 hours.

How on earth would I achieve those targets?! My FBG isn't low enough and there seems to be little else I can do to control that, and I already avoid pasta, rice, potatoes, anything sugary, most fruit, limit root veg and only eat low carb breads such as Sukrin, Lidl rolls or Livlife. I generally eat between below 50g carbs per day but more often than not it is below 30g. I don't personally feel able to go any lower than this.

What has happened to other T2s who have good control of their BGs but it is not good enough for pregnancy? Would I have to start medication in order to achieve those targets - would this start when trying to conceive to ensure that they were in target for as soon as I got pregnant? Would I need to take insulin? I had to take insulin during GD but I didn't know about LCHF then.

Anyway, well done if you have made it this far in my rambling post! Any guidance on this would be appreciated. I will discuss it with the DN when I see her next, which won't be until end October, and I am hoping to have a serious chat with my husband before then about whether we are going to try for baby 2. Would like to understand what will be required of me during 9 months as an incubator take 2!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have Type 1, but a friend with Type 2 had a baby recently and went on to insulin during the pregnancy. I don't know if that'd be the same for you as my friend was already on Metformin, but it may be a possibility in order to achieve the good control you need.

Did you find the insulin ok with the GD?

Pooja80

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I m type 2 , and 35 weeks pregnant . I was on metformin before pregnancy . At 8-9 weeks I was switched to insulin n stopped metformin . I fell pregnant with hba1c 6.5%. Gradually it came down to 4.7 to 5 .0%..
1st trimester I had less carb n more protein diet ... Since then I have been counting carb n adjust insulin accordingly ... Yes with type 2 diabetes diet plays an important role ...my endo is quite happy with my control ..

Your last a1c looks good !
And it looks you r already doing a lot in term of ur diet n sugar control ...
Baby's good health motivates u to have a tight control of ur diabetes ..
Good luck !

Reactions: 2 people

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @azure, I did OK with insulin when I had GD. I had a couple of hypos which were horrible but hardly surprising as I wasn't given any info on how to calculate how much to take! Slightly scary looking back how much they left me to guess what dose was required. I guess next time j would be better informed about carbs anyway so would know I needed to find out about carb counting.

Congratulations @Pooja80. Is this your first child?

I have got decent control now but it just doesn't seem quite good enough for those incredibly tight pregnancy targets. I guess I would end up on insulin into the pregnancy but just worry what would happen for the first few weeks as this is a very risky time if BGs aren't tightly controlled enough but may not be at the stage of having been prescribed insulin. I guess this is the sort of thing I will need to ask the DN before trying to conceive. It's not certain we will yet but I hope so.

Did you get referred to a pre-conception clinic (I think that's what it's called) before trying to conceive?

Pooja80

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes this is my first child , I think it would b great idea to ask the DN before conceiving .I didn't get referred to pre conception clinic .. But my endo is great n guided me before pregnancy ..
Wish you all the best !