Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@maglil55 Maybe you should re-title this thread 'Cabbage Rocks' :) :)

Reactions: maglil55

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't follow recipes either! I usually consider it a moral failing and great fun. :) and it usually works out. Kind of. Most of the time. :D

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I've just chopped one of these massive savoy cabbages. I think that to munch through this lot I will be adding several cloves of grated garlic and, maybe, some grated lemon zest.

I can't follow recipes either! I usually consider it a moral failing and great fun. :) and it usually works out. Kind of. Most of the time. :D
I think that the 'enhanced' recipes are usually better than the originals. The times it has gone wrong for me has been when baking bread.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just chopped one of these massive savoy cabbages. I think that to munch through this lot I will be adding several cloves of grated garlic and, maybe, some grated lemon zest.

I think that the 'enhanced' recipes are usually better than the originals. The times it has gone wrong for me has been when baking bread.
I'm with you on that. Seasoning of various descriptions doesn't matter a jot. I didn't fry the cabbage in butter. I steamed it and seasoned it. Although DD have some interesting butters to season. May try one of them on my next foray into the cabbage patch.
By the way, the Mediterranean chicken dish you have coming up with the olives and feta, I found the amount of cream they wanted you to put in the sauce was too much and I love creamy sauces. I air fried the chicken bits , put them in a Pyrex dish and mixed the sauce up and put it over the top. I used probably half the amount of cream in that recipe and yes I had shredded steamed cabbage with it in with other greens.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We had that chicken/feta/cream thing a couple of weeks ago.
I thought the same about the cream amount (that it would be too much), so i omitted the 'generous amount of olive oil' i was supposed to use on the spring greens. It worked out OK, and I will do the same again this week. :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
We had that chicken/feta/cream thing a couple of weeks ago.
I thought the same about the cream amount (that it would be too much), so i omitted the 'generous amount of olive oil' i was supposed to use on the spring greens. It worked out OK, and I will do the same again this week. :)
Good tip - I must try to remember it. Looking forward to trying it. :)

Tonight's dinner: the burger was lovely, I'm glad I added the chipotle flakes. I did the sauce as per the recipe and there was far, far too much of it. The cabbage fried in butter was a bit indifferent even with the addition of garlic and a little grated lemon zest. I think it would benefit from some onion added to it - although that would increase the carbs. I also think maybe better to not use savoy for it - maybe a normal green cabbage cut in thicker ribbons that I cut it.

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You crack me with this thread. I have a picture in my mind of you having huge fridges full to the gills with eggs and cabbage. Seriously 6 dozen eggs?????

Reactions: Brunneria

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@jonbvn Yes, thats what the shopping list showed

Excellent GB results from just one meal. 5.3 before dinner and 5.2 two hours after. Result!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You crack me with this thread. I have a picture in my mind of you having huge fridges full to the gills with eggs and cabbage. Seriously 6 dozen eggs?????
You can hardly get in the fridge for cabbages, cauliflower , and all kinds of greens. Eggs live outside the fridge and yes it is one of these big American beasts but no way the eggs go in. Thankfully we've worked out the mistake now - I almost collapsed at seeing 70 eggs on my list for the week and I 've had a load of double yolks in what I did buy. It's working though and I must admit I didn't notice how much cabbage or how many eggs there were.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good tip - I must try to remember it. Looking forward to trying it. :)

Tonight's dinner: the burger was lovely, I'm glad I added the chipotle flakes. I did the sauce as per the recipe and there was far, far too much of it. The cabbage fried in butter was a bit indifferent even with the addition of garlic and a little grated lemon zest. I think it would benefit from some onion added to it - although that would increase the carbs. I also think maybe better to not use savoy for it - maybe a normal green cabbage cut in thicker ribbons that I cut it.
I used the round cabbage but I steamed it , added a load of pepper and used it to soak up the sauce.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:D
We've ended up with 13 eggs to be eaten across 7 days and 28 portions.
But then we skipped the 3-eggs-each-for-brekkie-every-day-for-a-week option. That would have been another 42 of them.
I would have been eggbound!
:hilarious:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Mr C isn't having the eggy breakfasts and I've decided to either have 2 scrambled with some gravadlax or to have kippers. I think three eggs a day is rather too much every day.

Having said that.... I baked low carb cakes today for Mr C which took 10 eggs and he's just boiled 3 to take with his roasted ham salad for his lunch at work tomorrow as well as some home made lime mayo..

I'm beginning to wish we still kept chickens.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooooh? Wot cakes? Mr B wants another carrot cake, but i am using delaying tactics. I want to do this 2 week thing without cake distractions.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I made him a date and walnut cake (using the low carb Christmas cake recipe) and some lemon drizzle American muffins (big cup cakes) using the stracia wotsit recipe (without chocolate chips) and with grated lemon zest (lots) and lemon drizzle over.

They are in Tupperware in a cupboard but I can still hear them calling my name. I must be strong.

Actually that won't be a problem after seeing the full length pictures Mr C took of me today for the start of this Challenge. Shock or what!!!!!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mr C isn't having the eggy breakfasts and I've decided to either have 2 scrambled with some gravadlax or to have kippers. I think three eggs a day is rather too much every day.

Having said that.... I baked low carb cakes today for Mr C which took 10 eggs and he's just boiled 3 to take with his roasted ham salad for his lunch at work tomorrow as well as some home made lime mayo..

I'm beginning to wish we still kept chickens.
I thought you did with the Chook name

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did used to as a hobby - at one point I had 250 of them properly free range - they used to lay the most gorgeous eggs.

So, with that experience, what eggs do you buy now, and why?
(we are Happy Egg buyers, https://thehappyegg.co.uk/ because I feel less guilty that way, but am happy to be educated towards a better way to encourage happy chooks. :))

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, and where are people standing on alcohol with this Challenge?

After about 30 years of being a disinterested abstainer (cos alcohol never appealed), I recently had sip of cinzano and (no carb) lemonade, and my taste buds did the CanCan. So I have been having a long glass with a smidge of cinzano in the bottom, drowned in lemonade, some evenings.

Don't look anything like Joan Collins while doing it, though. Thank goodness.

I suppose I should really trawl the DD site and find the answer for myself...

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Brunneria
Normally I get proper free range eggs from a local smallholding - as you drive up the lane to get there you have to avoid running over the chickens.

If I can't get them (or enough of them) then I'll get Asda free range. There really isn't to much difference in egg taste unless they've been feeding them garlic, in which case you wouldn't want to use them for baking. We also used to get red Holmes eggs (after they had eaten beetroot) and some fabulous greeny blue yolked after eating a lot of red cabbage or blueberries.

The thing about commercial free range is that the chickens still live in really massive sheds with only few small openings to the greater outdoors. Yes, technically they are free range, but they are a flock bird and if the leader of their own little circle of friends decides not to go outside then none of them will and, sadly, not many of them in those huge sheds are brave enough to go outside.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oh, and where are people standing on alcohol with this Challenge?

After about 30 years of being a disinterested abstainer (cos alcohol never appealed), I recently had sip of cinzano and (no carb) lemonade, and my taste buds did the CanCan. So I have been having a long glass with a smidge of cinzano in the bottom, drowned in lemonade, some evenings.

Don't look anything like Joan Collins while doing it, though. Thank goodness.

I suppose I should really trawl the DD site and find the answer for myself...
I think I remember him saying red wine is okay.... it's in the introduction to diet doctor video I think.