Type 2 Diet to help lower cholesterol levels

JenniB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, I was just prescribed statins also but having read the bumph that comes with the pills decided not to take them. I am looking for diet to reduce cholesterol. I am T2.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
many say the Low Carb High Fat diets reduce the cholesterol levels significantly

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have no research to help you here but I will tell you how I dealt with my cholesterol which was over 7 when I was diagnosed with diabetes .I lowered my carbs drastically and upped my intake of healthy fats such as cheese ,butter ,full fat yoghurt and Jersey double cream coconut oil for cooking My cholesterol levels came down fairly quickly and are now just over 5 .I am happy with that .The GP and diabetes nurse have stopped offering me statins !
CAROL

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is evidence that too many carbs raise cholesterol.
- I was shocked to recently discover that this evidence has been available since the 1960s! But it got swamped under the low fat frenzy.

So I would reduce your carbs, and increase the healthy fats.

My experience is that when I did this, my total cholesterol remained almost exactly the same, but the Tryiglycerides dropped, the HDL increased, and the ratios much improved. Very chuffed with it. Especially as it means I can have butter on veg and cream in my coffee absolutely guilt free. :D

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Good on you for not taking the statins. I refused them too as my cholesterol was only slightly over and I wanted to see if I could reduce it by diet alone. I didn't want to take something of dubious medical benefit that was very likely to make me feel awful anyway.

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Monounsaturated fats lower LDL whitout affecting HDL the good cholesterol. Trans fats increase LDL while lowering HDL so avoid those. Saturated fats even long believed to be bad for you are not that bad for you as the countries with the highest saturated fats in their diet also have the lowest rate of deaths from heart disease. Furthermore some sources of saturated fats can increase HDL levels. Polyunsaturated fats (omega 3 and 6) are good fats but you need to have the correct ratio's between the two, most people consume a too high amount of omega 6, the ideal ratio is close to 1:1. Polyunsaturated fats are also less stable too cook, forming free radicals. Monounsaturated fats are suitable for cooking.

LCHF diets tend to lower the bad cholesterol. Don't be affraid of the high fat since your sources will contain more good fats than bad fats.