diet

tezza

im a newby as well ,this food thing has my head in a muddle,and thats eay to start with :D .i was told to join slim/world and follow the green diet as this was the best one for diabetics,on it a week now but reading some of the posts i find what ive been eating such as pasta,wholemeal bread is wrong i do try and eat healthy,fruite,veg ect,also the nurse said they no longer ask you to check youre b/g levels now i thought this would of been important .any advice please.do i go back to nurse and demand a meter.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
GET OFF THE GREEN DIET!!! I used to do SW (10 years ago....) and if I remember right the Green Diet alows you to eat large amounts of Pasta, Rice and Potatoes.

The RED Diet is MUCH better for diabetics. But really you should not restrict yourself to either of the diets. Just look around this site, do somne research, and find what works best for you...

tezza

high patch ,thats just what im about to do ,been reading about chana/dahl and loads of other foods ,this site is realy good and im glad i found it everyone is so open and freindly and are willing to share there experiance they are have with being diabetic. :) thank you.evert one.

NickW

Hi tezza,

The diabetics with the best control all test their blood. Doctors and diabetic nurses are often reluctant to prescribe test strips to T2 diabetics, but I have a feeling this is due more to cost-saving than anything else. If you can persuade them to prescribe you some strips, get them!

There's a lot to the whole diet thing, but to put it briefly - carbohydrate is the KEY to T2 diabetic control. When you eat carbohydrate it gets digested and broken down into glucose; that glucose gets carried around the body in the bloodstream. The more carbohydrate you eat, the more glucose there is to put into the blood.

Insulin is the hormone that lets all the cells in your body take that glucose out of the blood and use it. Normally, the body produces the right amount of insulin depending on how much glucose there is in the blood, and things stay nicely balanced. In T2 diabetes, your body has become insulin resistant; despite there being plenty of insulin around (in fact, probably too much!) the body can't use it properly. The result is that too much of the glucose stays in your blood. This is a Bad Thing, as it's what leads to all the long-term problems diabetics can face.

The answer to all of this is to eat less carbohydrate! If you don't put as much carbohydrate into the system, your blood doesn't get as swamped with glucose. The body's limited ability to use insulin isn't overloaded, and it deals with the glucose that is there far more effectively. The result is that your blood glucose stays more even and at a nice lower level, avoiding the damage that high blood glucose causes.

What foods contain carbohydrates? The biggies are bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, sweets, full-sugar fizzy drinks, fruit juices, smoothies etc. There's more to it than that, and it's well worth buying a "calorie counter" book or looking at the packaging on food. But by limiting these foods or cutting them out altogether, you will improve your control no end.

There are plenty of people on here who've had great success with this approach. If all of this is a bit over your head don't worry, but do try to read through some of the posts here (particularly on the "low carb" forum - there's a good starting guide on there). Post questions, read up, and you'll learn the ropes quickly.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your control - do post back with any more specifics though!

wallycorker

Hi Tezza,

Nick has given you great advice already but I will reinforce the important factors in getting your blood glucose levels under control:

a) First of all, cut back on the starchy carbohydrate - e.g. cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta and rice etc. That usually gives a very fast and big improvement in glycaemic control for Type 2s.

b) Yes start testing to find out what different foods do to your readings.

Best wishes and good luck - John

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Tezza,

If I eat breakfast cereals, my BG takes a massive hike, if I eat pasta, rice, bread or potatoes of any variety - likewise.
If I eat cheese, chicken, bacon, ham, pork, beef etc etc, no impact whatsoever...
If I eat veg or salad I get a moderate controlled rise which dissipates easily within 2 hours...
I do not want to sound evangelical about this but there are 2 important factors in MY book...
1. Increasing Carbohydrates = Increasing Blood Glucose = Shortened life and complications
2. Excessive calories undermine weight loss

So any diet which says you can eat things which take your BG into the danger level should be ignited with a highly combustible propellant!!.

Its a bit like saying that walking is good for you, then forgetting to say that should you walk in front of a bus, your outlook is bleak!.
Why play on the motorway when you can tiptoe through the tulips??!!..

Steve.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Tezza

Wellcome to the forum. Plenty of support and good advice here.

As I assume that you are not on insulin, as others have already stated, the amount of carbohydrates you consume (bread, pasta, rice,cereals, fruit, sweets), is the main variable you can change to bring your blood glucose level ("blg") under control.The lower the carbohydrate intake the lower the blood glucose levels.

Diabetes is a condition which is not the same for all people however and which therefore does not have a uniform cure. Also people may be on different medication, have diferent lifestyles in terms of level of stress, exercise etc, all factors that also affect bgls. Some people are able to manage good control of their blg while still consuming what others consider a high amount of carbohydrate (150 - 200g per day). Others find that they must go much lower than that, say to 50g per day in order to gain control.

It is only through experimenting and gaining feedback through regular self monitoring of your blg ( I measure before and two hours after each meal) that you will learn more about your body and arrive at the diet that works for you. So please pressure yor doctor for strips.

Unlike a weight loss diet which is a short term "cure", a diabetes diet is one that you will have to maintain for the rest of yor life. It must threfore be one that you are prepared to stick with.

Stay positive, read around the forum and gain inspiration from the many success stories listed here and remember to be patient and cut yourself some sluck.

Regards

Pavlos

tezza

high thank you everyone :D my last doctors ,he said i was the nurse said borderline but we will put you on medication,i refused as one was saying ,no bread,pasta,ect then the nurse would say take no notice of the doctor he,s old school,to cut a long story short i mooved,new docs,nures so after 2years i was told yes you are diabetic,i could of rung the others neck and realy gave them a peice of my mind,my life in there hands so to speak.all the advise i get off people like youreself ,s who have been and are in same posision as me is all getting stored in my brain, :lol: hope it sinks in as it can get overloaded :? now trying to find out a shop that sells chana dhal,in the northeast.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Tezza
in addition to low carb, try eating as much raw food as possible. eg, salads and raw fruits[berries are best] the less processed your food the better and don't worry about fats. natural fats from animal or vegetable sources is good.trans fats, which are NOT natural are slow poisons.
My personal choics are based on "could it be eaten raw?" if the answer iws "yes" I'll have it even if like meat, I prefer it cooked. Grains cannot be eaten raw, so I avoid all grain based foods. potatoes cannot be eaten raw[well they can, but you'll get a very upset system :lol: ], so I don't eat them either. except the occasional baby new one.
If it has to be cooked to make it edible[not just tastier] it's best avoided.
Hana