Diet

darrenjallen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys. Pre diabetic here on metformin
A big chap at 161 kilos I need to loose the weight.

Any suggestions been online and got loads of conflicting advice from reading.

Know portion size has to change. I also work 4 night shifts per week so not easy then.

Thank you

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Useful links:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/low-carb-diabetes-diet.html

Since you are pre-diabetic and only on Metformin there is a good possibility that you could bring your HbA1c down to safer levels (below pre-diabetic levels i.e. "normal") with diet and exercise. (Explanation of HbA1c here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html).

Losing weight is less important than the content of your diet. If you combine low-carb with lower-portion, you should lose weight anyway, but the goal is to get blood glucose under control. My body is completely different from yours (I am a big chap too but only in the vertical direction). I used the low-carb-and-portion-control method and lost quite a lot of weight (for me).

Congratulations on your decision to take control of things! I let things slip for a long time until getting diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes nine months ago (totally unexpectedly and with no symptoms) but then managed to reverse the disease completely in less than three months (see signature at bottom of this post).

I agree that there is a lot of conflicting advice. If you do decide to go low-carb (as advocated in the links above) you may get pushback from your doctors because it is not the conventional approach. The low-carb approach is also often described on this forum as Low-Carb, High-Fat (LCHF).

I actually use both low-carb and low-fat, but I am not sure why I am still alive or where all that energy comes from! We are all different. Good luck.

Edited to add: If the above approach does not work after you try it out for a few months, there are more extreme routes (involving massive calorie reduction) but if you are "only" pre-diabetic I suggest you try the gentler route first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Concordjan

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so very much.

You're welcome. If you don't mind sharing, what was the result of your latest HbA1c test?

I am a bit confused as to why you are on Metformin if you are still pre-diabetic. It does happen -- I have just seen this mentioned in another forum thread today. But perhaps a bit unusual.

darrenjallen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
44 I think. My doc decided to start me on met. I guess due to my size and high xholesteeol. It made a huge difference I might asd. Have lots more energy.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK good. Metformin is a good drug if your stomach can tolerate it, and has a very long track record so quite safe. I am glad it is making a difference to your energy level. It will also help with the pre-diabetes but it is not exactly a miracle drug. Diet is the key.

I am sure I don't need to tell you that losing weight in your case would be an excellent idea, just for general health. It is something that should happen anyway when you adopt a diet suitable for controlling your pre-diabetes. So it is a win-win proposition.

Good luck.

darrenjallen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I totally agree diet is the key. Just downloaded a two week low card diet plan. Gonna give it a try maybe if I prepare and plan in advance it will encourage me to stick to it.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On more thing before I go to bed (I am in America). The toughest part of the diet is the first three or four weeks. I was constantly hungry. Then the hunger went away.

The theory behind this is that carbs are addictive. So when you withdraw them, the body yearns for them for a while. Eventually though it gets used to low-carb. The other side of the coin is that if you "backslide" and go back to eating lots of carbs, you can get back into the cycle of over-eating carbs because every time you eat carbs it creates a craving for more.

My go-to snack when I was ravenous was nuts (the dietdoctor website that I linked to has a good list of low-carb nuts). These are an excellent "appetite-killer" but don't overdo it!

I also drink a lot of water nowadays -- about 2 liters per day between meals, plus fluids with meals. If you find water boring, try fizzy mineral water (I buy it by the case).

Also remember that the low-carb diet is not really a "diet" at all. It is not a short-term, crash program to lose weight. Rather, if used to control Type 2 diabetes, it is a lifetime commitment or if you prefer, a "lifestyle."

Good night.

Reactions: kumera

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing to add to the excellent advice from @Grateful except to tag @daisy1 who has some useful information for new members.

Good luck and do ask as many questions as you like.

Reactions: hankjam

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@darrenjallen

Hello Darren and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 250,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!

Know portion size has to change. I also work 4 night shifts per week so not easy then.

Thank you

Well done for finding this site and taking control. To start with I suggest you just cut our bread, rice, pasta, cereals and cut down on root veg. Doing that alone might do the trick, as you are 'just' pre diabetic, should definitely reduce blood sugar levels. Good luck.

Reactions: Grateful

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thank you
I’ve followed a low carb life style since my type 2 diagnosis six months ago. I started on <100g/day for the first 6 weeks then reduced to 50-70g which is what I maintain. I’m on Metformin too. I don’t know how long you’ve been on it but you may find it suppresses your appetite, I do. Anyway over those six months I’ve lost 25 1/2 kilos. It’s the best weight loss plan I’ve ever used and my HbA1c is now at a non diabetic level! :)

Reactions: Grateful