Prediabetes Diet

Camoo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did a reading 2 hours after eating a low carb high fat meal, it was 4.8. steak, carrots and kale.
Didn't have anything to eat afterwards but had 2cans of diet coke, . When I came to have some supper, cheese and olives, I did a pre food reading and my levels where 10.1, again the next morning fasting bloods were 6.7, whilst cooking breakfast I had a drink of diet lemonade and did my blood before eating it was 9.5.
So my question is does anyone else find this effect on readings after having diet drinks x

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some people can have a problem with the sweeteners.

Reactions: Camoo

Camoo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people can have a problem with the sweeteners.
Thank you for replying, I will cut sweeteners and diet drinks out. I did tend to have about 1ltre of them before my prediabetic diagnosis. I suppose this demonstrates the importance of testing bloods. How much damage could be done in the year between blood test from the doctors

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did a reading 2 hours after eating a low carb high fat meal, it was 4.8. steak, carrots and kale.
Didn't have anything to eat afterwards but had 2cans of diet coke, . When I came to have some supper, cheese and olives, I did a pre food reading and my levels where 10.1, again the next morning fasting bloods were 6.7, whilst cooking breakfast I had a drink of diet lemonade and did my blood before eating it was 9.5.
So my question is does anyone else find this effect on readings after having diet drinks x
It happens to some. Seems like you're one of the "lucky" ones.

You taste something sweet, and your pancreas thinks you'll need insulin to deal with it, which it pre-emptively releases.... Since it's sweetener though, you don't need the extra insulin, so your liver jumps in, and dumps glucose to keep you from going too low. But the dump is more than you can process effectively and voilà... High blood sugars. You basically ping-pong all over the place. So... It seems like, at this time, sweeteners are not for you. Sorry. :(

Camoo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It happens to some. Seems like you're one of the "lucky" ones.

You taste something sweet, and your pancreas thinks you'll need insulin to deal with it, which it pre-emptively releases.... Since it's sweetener though, you don't need the extra insulin, so your liver jumps in, and dumps glucose to keep you from going too low. But the dump is more than you can process effectively and voilà... High blood sugars. You basically ping-pong all over the place. So... It seems like, at this time, sweeteners are not for you. Sorry. :(
Thank you for replying, I'm so glad I found this out, you know I don't really see it as a bad thing, less chemicals I suppose, I have just eaten my first avacado...... Wow... roasted it for 15 mins with some paprika and cumin.... It was so tasty....avacados are the cake of the future for me

Reactions: Jo123 and Buster_

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for replying, I'm so glad I found this out, you know I don't really see it as a bad thing, less chemicals I suppose, I have just eaten my first avacado...... Wow... roasted it for 15 mins with some paprika and cumin.... It was so tasty....avacados are the cake of the future for me
Avocado's do rock. Toss them in salads, have them with poached eggs and salmon, or just to munch on with some salt and pepper. ;)

Chipmunk71

I would avoid any carbonated drinks as they tend to be loaded with sugar, despite all the ads of it being Zero Sugar etc... I would stick to more water and would even avoid fruit juices.... one thing I realise is that fruits have sugar as well in the form of Fructose...and juicing it is just concentrating all the sugar in one fix...
I still enjoy a glass of wine in the evening and I found that this do not mess with my sugar levels and helps in digesting and also I totally enjoy it... Had an Abbot FreeStyle Libre Sensor on me once and I tested on everything I ate. Was a good learning curve for me on what foods will cause a spike in sugar... Yeah, so I would probably invest in a sensor for 14 days and gauge or test out how we react to the foods we like. Its a lot of adjusting to diets and getting used to new things and learning to manage our cravings with adequate exercise as well... manageable stuff like starting with walking and when we see positive results, we will be excited to move on and do other stuff like maybe cycling and also expand on circle of acquaintances in cycling groups or walking groups or even some Pilates groups. Idea is to start small... and work at the right motivational triggers for us.

Hope this helps.

Camoo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would avoid any carbonated drinks as they tend to be loaded with sugar, despite all the ads of it being Zero Sugar etc... I would stick to more water and would even avoid fruit juices.... one thing I realise is that fruits have sugar as well in the form of Fructose...and juicing it is just concentrating all the sugar in one fix...
I still enjoy a glass of wine in the evening and I found that this do not mess with my sugar levels and helps in digesting and also I totally enjoy it... Had an Abbot FreeStyle Libre Sensor on me once and I tested on everything I ate. Was a good learning curve for me on what foods will cause a spike in sugar... Yeah, so I would probably invest in a sensor for 14 days and gauge or test out how we react to the foods we like. Its a lot of adjusting to diets and getting used to new things and learning to manage our cravings with adequate exercise as well... manageable stuff like starting with walking and when we see positive results, we will be excited to move on and do other stuff like maybe cycling and also expand on circle of acquaintances in cycling groups or walking groups or even some Pilates groups. Idea is to start small... and work at the right motivational triggers for us.

Hope this helps.
I'm definitely planning some increase in activity, I love the water so looking forward to starting swimming soon, not just yet as I'm waiting for an MRI , unfortunately the diagnosis came when they were looking for something else, so just walking for now . As I live in northern Britain and not the Bahamas, I will just have to get a warm walking coat

Reactions: Chipmunk71

Chipmunk71

I'm definitely planning some increase in activity, I love the water so looking forward to starting swimming soon, not just yet as I'm waiting for an MRI , unfortunately the diagnosis came when they were looking for something else, so just walking for now . As I live in northern Britain and not the Bahamas, I will just have to get a warm walking coat
I have walked in winter before... it was fun for me coz I am from a temperate country... but it can get tricky when roads are icy and can become very nasty very quickly... hope you have a good pair of shoes... I know of friends in UK working out on treadmills... but do what works for you... walking up and down stairs at work instead of taking lifts can be a workout in itself... You are in a good mental position to turn this around... Well done.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel your pain. I have a coat, I just need proper shoes...! Mine aren't water tight, and that's put a damper on my daily walks. I didn't realise I could actually walk fair distances until I started with Conqueror Challenges. I pay them for the medal, and I know it, but I keep track of my KM's in an app and every time I complete 20%, they plant a tree as well, so I walk for a good cause which is motivating. I started somewhere this year, I think... And I've walked 679,4 km. (That I logged, anyway.). Nothing wrong with walking, in any case... It's relatively slow and steady, and won't trigger a liver-dump. ;)

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Well done for testing, we all have to be our own expert in our condition.