Treatment type
Insulin
Which one of the thousands of diets out there is suitable for diabetics

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well - Atkins is a fairly good starting point, as long as it is from the time of Dr Atkins and not the Atkins Corporation, but basically you cut out the carbs - sugars and starches, staring with the highest ones and watching how your blood glucose goes down from the highs most people are diagnosed with, then it is just a matter of tweaking so as to get down to normal test results.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
When I first told I was t2. I cut out everything that was high in sugar, plus bread, potatoes. Worked great then wham bam, I craved everything and ate everything and paid the price for it.
I tried slimming world but gave up as they encouraged me to eat the stuff that we should, t eat so why waste time paying to go.
Then I tried the low carb but struggled with it.
So now I do what I call eat to my meter. In the 3arly days it was hit and miss. But no problem now. Though in saying that, once every 2 weeks, I treat myself to 5 oven chips. I also have the odd slice of bread but us very rare.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The suitable diet(s) will differ between Individuals and between different types of diabetes.
Low carb and short term very low calorie have both been shown to have good effects wth T2 diabetes
The most suitable diet is the one that keeps your blood sugars at an acceptable level and which you can keep to.
Eating to your meter ( ie geting yourself a blood glucose meter and using it to find out how foods affect your blood sugars by testing immediately before you eat and again 2 hours later) is the best way to find out how many carbs your body can tolerate before your sugars start to suffer
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

Last edited: