Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Hello,

I am referring to NovaLog vs Humalog.

Long story short, I was prescribed Novalog but was having problems getting hold of it for longer than a week (GP made a mistake), my numbers were too high for my liking, so I was given a spare Humalog pen. I did some research, and from my understanding, they should work exactly the same (just that Novalog kicks in quicker).

Anyway, I stuck with the Humalog and my numbers seemed pretty good for the duration of the pen. I then switched to Novalog as I now had some and my numbers particularly at waking seem to have doubled the day I started it.

Do some people react better to certain brands?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do some people react better to certain brands?
Yes some people do react better to some than others

Different people differ so you will have to find what works best for you.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep, it is another way we are all different.
I tried Humalog for a week when I was having issues with Fiasp and found it was incredibly slow for me - it made NovoSluggish (really called NovoRapid in the UK and, I believe NovoLog in the US) appeared to be super speedy.
But, I know other people who find Humalog suits them better.

pit should be no surprise as they are made to different “recipes”.

markpj31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Ok, I have switched back to Humalog from NovoRapid - I had some spare pens given to me a while ago as there was a slight delay getting hold of the NovaRapid and I responded well to Humalog.

Being on NovaRapid, my numbers were terrible - A whole week of double digits, waking at 12-13's. I had one double digit on Humalog in the 2-3 weeks that I initially used it. NovaRapid is the one that was prescribed to me.

I used Humalog last night after dinner and my numbers were back down to 7.7, this morning I woke with a 7.8 (instead of the usual ~13's I've had for more than a week). I will see how it goes back on the Humalog for a week to two and if it is the case that Humalog is far better for me then I'm going to ask my DSN to switch brands as the difference is massive (quite worrying really).

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I used Humalog last night after dinner and my numbers were back down to 7.7, this morning I woke with a 7.8 (instead of the usual ~13's I've had for more than a week). I will see how it goes back on the Humalog for a week to two and if it is the case that Humalog is far better for me then I'm going to ask my DSN to switch brands as the difference is massive (quite worrying really).

What puzzles me is that I would expect your morning reading to be affected by your basal insulin rather than your bolus?

markpj31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
What puzzles me is that I would expect your morning reading to be affected by your basal insulin rather than your bolus?

It is puzzling. 4 hours after a meal before bed my blood glucose would be 12, and I'd wake with a 13.
Generally what I was going to bed with would typically be higher in the morning.