Different types of insulin

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When I was diagnosed aged 10, (34 years ago) I was put onto mixed, (act rapid and monotard), twice a day. It was vital I ate at particular times to cover the peaks in the insulin. I had to have snacks mid morning and afternoon too. I was told how many carbohydrates to have per snack and meal, this had been worked out after being in hospital when diagnosed. It was a pain being tied to times and amounts of carbohydrates. The 'novo pen' came onto the market, at the time it wasn't available on the NHS, neither we're the needles. Due to my age my consultant suggested I give it a go to give me 'freedom'. Best thing I did, I was 13 and multiple injections was a blessing in disguise!! Children are normally put on mixed regime to eliminate multiple injections, but other than that there is no other reason for it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Interaud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty, dishonesty, spiders
I'm on Humulin M3, twice daily injections (12 units before breakfast and 11 units before tea), which I adjusted from the originally prescribed 10 units twice daily). I too was automatically put on this type when diagnosed in October 2014, and wasn't given the choice of type of insulin to use. All these comments and questions really help and I'm wavering whether to stick with the familiar or request possible change to basal/bonus. Any advice or experience in doing this, positive or negative, would be much appreciated.

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My brother is on twice daily injections and refuses to switch to MDI, hos reasons are,

I know how much insulin to take
I dont want to do more injections
I cant be a**ed changing

His sugars are ALWAYS in the high teens.

My sister and I are both on Lantus and Novorapid, I changed so I could have better control and seeing the difference it made, my sister changed not long after.