1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Different types of insulin

Discussion in 'Insulin' started by mo1905, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Sammeh5678

Sammeh5678 · Active Member

I am on NovoRAPID for after meals and NovoLevemir for evenings for the night. I asked about the different insulins at the hospital and I was gobsmacked !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. Picci

Picci Type 1 · Well-Known Member

When I was diagnosed aged 10, (34 years ago) I was put onto mixed, (act rapid and monotard), twice a day. It was vital I ate at particular times to cover the peaks in the insulin. I had to have snacks mid morning and afternoon too. I was told how many carbohydrates to have per snack and meal, this had been worked out after being in hospital when diagnosed. It was a pain being tied to times and amounts of carbohydrates. The 'novo pen' came onto the market, at the time it wasn't available on the NHS, neither we're the needles. Due to my age my consultant suggested I give it a go to give me 'freedom'. Best thing I did, I was 13 and multiple injections was a blessing in disguise!! Children are normally put on mixed regime to eliminate multiple injections, but other than that there is no other reason for it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

3. Interaud

Interaud Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm on Humulin M3, twice daily injections (12 units before breakfast and 11 units before tea), which I adjusted from the originally prescribed 10 units twice daily). I too was automatically put on this type when diagnosed in October 2014, and wasn't given the choice of type of insulin to use. All these comments and questions really help and I'm wavering whether to stick with the familiar or request possible change to basal/bonus. Any advice or experience in doing this, positive or negative, would be much appreciated.

4. MH2010

MH2010 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My brother is on twice daily injections and refuses to switch to MDI, hos reasons are,

I know how much insulin to take
    I dont want to do more injections
    I cant be a**ed changing

His sugars are ALWAYS in the high teens.

My sister and I are both on Lantus and Novorapid, I changed so I could have better control and seeing the difference it made, my sister changed not long after.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook