Difficulty walking

SuzyMo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone else have difficulty walking. When I say difficulty I mean that I don't seem to be able to walk in a straight line for very long. I'm all over the place and sometimes I hope that passersby won't think I'm drunk which, I'm not. I've limited feeling in part of my left foot and wonder if that's the problem. Does anyone else experience this?

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That doesn't sound good. Have you told your GP ? I think that should be a priority

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree your GP needs to investigate this. It could be your foot or it could be anything, including a balance/ear issue.

SuzyMo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
GP knows about the lack of feeling in the foot but I haven't discussed the balance problem. It has been happening for about a year now but just recently it seems to be getting a bit worse.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've had difficulty since nov 2015 which started with scatica then improved in spring, I exercised like mad and now cannot walk without pain and lean to one side too. In total agony even on 46mg codeine and 1000mg paracetamol every 4hrs. Naproxen stopped by gp via cardiologist. Seeing a physio every 4 weeks. Heart problem slowing everything down. Breathlessness always but in different severities. Pain constant at mo. Even on painkillers.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
GP knows about the lack of feeling in the foot but I haven't discussed the balance problem. It has been happening for about a year now but just recently it seems to be getting a bit worse.
I've started using a crutch for support and walk numbly or in agony. Can you use a support?

Reactions: Freema

SuzyMo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had difficulty since nov 2015 which started with scatica then improved in spring, I exercised like mad and now cannot walk without pain and lean to one side too. In total agony even on 46mg codeine and 1000mg paracetamol every 4hrs. Naproxen stopped by gp via cardiologist. Seeing a physio every 4 weeks. Heart problem slowing everything down. Breathlessness always but in different severities. Pain constant at mo. Even on painkillers.

That sounds grim. I'm truly not in any pain, my problem seems to be coordination.

SuzyMo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A support is, I guess a possibility but I'm trying to put that off for a while yet. I also don't want to bring it under the attention of my co workers in a very new job.

SuzyMo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please tell your GP. You never know, he may have a solution for you.

Yes I think it's something I'll have to speak to the GP about. The forum is a great comfort when yet another diabetes symptom rears its head so I thought I'd air this particular difficult here where there are others possibly in the same boat.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I would suggest you ask your GP to refer you to a muscular skeletal Physio. I recommend this as it is my wife's speciality area and I have just outlined to her what you have described.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

are your blood glucose well controlled ? ask to see a neurologist ,otherwise I think you should go really low carb, the neuropathy one can get from continuingly raised blood glucose can actually hit many different places in ones body and not only in the feet as most experiences...

http://www.neuropathytreatmentgroup.com/diabetic-neuropathy-and-balance/

SuzyMo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest you ask your GP to refer you to a muscular skeletal Physio. I recommend this as it is my wife's speciality area and I have just outlined to her what you have described.

Thank you. Yes I will.

Reactions: ickihun

SuzyMo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
are your blood glucose well controlled ? ask to see a neurologist ,otherwise I think you should go really low carb, the neuropathy one can get from continuingly raised blood glucose can actually hit many different places in ones body and not only in the feet as most experiences...

http://www.neuropathytreatmentgroup.com/diabetic-neuropathy-and-balance/

My last HbA1c was 58 and the GP thought this was ok. Previous one was 46 so there was a bit of a change but not huge.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My last HbA1c was 58 and the GP thought this was ok. Previous one was 46 so there was a bit of a change but not huge.
how low carb are you, if you could go even lower like to truely normal levels like non diabetic by very low carb maybe you can stop your problems progressing .. some only eat under 20 grams of carbs a day ..

SuzyMo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
how low carb are you, if you could go even lower like to truely normal levels like non diabetic by very low carb maybe you can stop your problems progressing .. some only eat under 20 grams of carbs a day ..

I have a difficulty with low carb because of a gallbladder issue I had some years ago resulting in internal gangrene so I can not eat a lot of fatty foods.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Although my problem is a dodgy knee after a car hit me, I used Nordic walking poles so I could go out without risking falling over. I have just today gone out without them. I found a single stick no use with keeping my balance on the rather wonky footpaths around here, but if anyone said anything I just said that I'd hurt my knee, and that seemed to be enough information. I believe that walking is a good way to 'wake up' your liver and gall bladder, so if you can manage to get out for a walk even for a short distance and with support it could be beneficial. Do watch out if your food is numb and wear enclosed shoes. I hurt my foot on a fallen branch as I wear sandals year round, if I'd not felt the impact I'd have a nasty gash now, not just a small jab.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thank you. ;)

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Could it be neuropathy causing balance problems in the brain? If it is not a foot problem, I would ask a neurologist.