1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Disabilities Question On Job Application

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by hels, Sep 2, 2016.

1. hels

hels Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have just done a quick search and this has not been discussed recently.

I am wondering how I should fill out the 'Disabilities' section on a job application form. It asks 'Do you consider yourself to have a disability?' I have Type 1 diabetes but I don't consider that I have a disability. Then in guidance on disabilities diabetes is listed under Longstanding Illness or Health Condition and asks to categorize your disability. And then if you wish to be considered under the Guaranteed Interview Scheme.

Am I obliged to select that I have a long term health condition even though I don't consider myself to have a disability? Can I reply No and then select that I have a long term health condition?

2. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

@hels It's up to you. I find many forms ask "Do you have a disability that will affect your ability to do this job?" I always answer No to that. If they then go on to ask about health conditions, I mention diabetes then.

I think I'd personally probably answer Yes to your question above, simply because diabetes is classed as a disability and is protected by law against discrimination.

From what you've said, it looks like they may be asking as part of the guaranteed interview scheme. You need to weigh up if a guaranteed interview would balance up for you, or whether you'd prefer to declare your diabetes later. But if you'll be mentioning it anyway, then personally I'd just tick Yes for disability. As I said though - completely your choice : )

Edited to add - it depends on the wording of the question. Obviously, you should always tell the truth and give correct information. I read the question carefully then answer according to how it's worded.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #2 azure, Sep 2, 2016 at 3:56 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2016
  3. hels

hels Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks @azure, yes it is part of the guaranteed interview scheme. I feel a bit of a fraud whichever way I answer - either not saying I have diabetes or saying I consider myself to have a disability!

• Like Like x 1
  4. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

If there's space, maybe you could add an appropriate sentence? Eg that you don't need the guaranteed interview, or that diabetes doesn't affect your ability to do the job - whatever you feel best.

I tend to make a judgement for each form I fil in, depending on the wording and, to be blunt, whether I think saying I have diabetes will put them off. I always answe truthfully if asked, of course.

5. Sarah69

Sarah69 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I would say no in the disabilities question and not mention I have diabetes at all.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook