Disastrous is the only word....

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well considering I have been a professional cake maker in the past, today's attempt at coconut flour raspberry fingers and chocolate brownies was beyond appalling the raspberry fingers just looked like egg and the brownies...well they look good, but are just crumbling and I realised I put ground almonds in instead of coconut flour also the recipes say 2oz of powdered sweetner and I'm using canderel...2ozs is a massive amount as it has no weight to it. Think I need to do more research into the sweetner.. I could have iced a 3 tier wedding cake in the time I faffed around today hahahaha... maybe I'll just have to stick with the jelly and cream!

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
I have tried several of the supposedly 'delicious' options with coconut or almond flour and sweetner.

Best I can describe is weird at best, obvious what their made with and every time I have tried they end up in the bin.

I have been using coconut flour for curries instead, works MUCH better.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well considering I have been a professional cake maker in the past, today's attempt at coconut flour raspberry fingers and chocolate brownies was beyond appalling the raspberry fingers just looked like egg and the brownies...well they look good, but are just crumbling and I realised I put ground almonds in instead of coconut flour also the recipes say 2oz of powdered sweetner and I'm using canderel...2ozs is a massive amount as it has no weight to it. Think I need to do more research into the sweetner.. I could have iced a 3 tier wedding cake in the time I faffed around today hahahaha... maybe I'll just have to stick with the jelly and cream!
Have you tried any of those Mug Cakes? Somebody posted the recipes for low carb versions.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooh, i would love a "cakewreck" section... I never got more than a brick done when I tried mug cakes, good to know even a pro can't make it work, haha. :)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Or you could stick to high % chocolate squares...

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried several of the supposedly 'delicious' options with coconut or almond flour and sweetner.

Best I can describe is weird at best, obvious what their made with and every time I have tried they end up in the bin.

I have been using coconut flour for curries instead, works MUCH better.
Yep, exactly that.. I had such great expectations but they are in the bin!
Will try the coconut flour in my curry next time....thanks for the tip.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried any of those Mug Cakes? Somebody posted the recipes for low carb versions.
I am going to give that ago tonight as I'm not giving up haha....

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooh, i would love a "cakewreck" section... I never got more than a brick done when I tried mug cakes, good to know even a pro can't make it work, haha. :)
Now there's an idea

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the recipe I've used in the past.
Low Carb Brownies
90g ground almonds
4 large eggs, beaten
equivalent to 250g sugar (I used xyiltol)
225g butter
120g 85% chocolate
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp instant coffee
1/2 tsp salt
100g nuts

Melt butter and chocolate, add coffee, leave to cool.
Mix sweetener, almonds and baking powder. Add to chocolate mixture followed by eggs and vanilla extract. Beat well until bl ended add nuts.

Pour mixture into 20cm square cake pan and cook for 20 minutes at 170c. The brownie should be slightly wobbly in the middle.

Reactions: Bea56

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe use your crumbling cakes as basis for a trifle, sugar free jelly and some berries in the bottom with the failed cake, then real custard on top - once it is set and the custard cooled. I use frozen berries for a rapid set.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the recipe I've used in the past.
Low Carb Brownies
90g ground almonds
4 large eggs, beaten
equivalent to 250g sugar (I used xyiltol)
225g butter
120g 85% chocolate
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp instant coffee
1/2 tsp salt
100g nuts

Melt butter and chocolate, add coffee, leave to cool.
Mix sweetener, almonds and baking powder. Add to chocolate mixture followed by eggs and vanilla extract. Beat well until bl ended add nuts.

Pour mixture into 20cm square cake pan and cook for 20 minutes at 170c. The brownie should be slightly wobbly in the middle.
Mine was very similar, but think using canderel is where I went wrong???
Will need to search for a proper baking sweetner.
Thank you.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe use your crumbling cakes as basis for a trifle, sugar free jelly and some berries in the bottom with the failed cake, then real custard on top - once it is set and the custard cooled. I use frozen berries for a rapid set.
This sounds good, what do I need for real custard? Never made it before..

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was younger what I considered to be real custard was made from a ready made powder where you add milk and sugar. I was thinking of making some but using sweetner instead. I will when I get a chance.

I think you can still get Birds custard powder in the shops...

Reactions: AngiH

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That Mr bird has a lot to answer for.
Real custard is cream and eggs.
Beat the eggs and mix in the cream, place in a microwave and warm up the mixture gently, whisking between short burst of medium power heating. The mixture will thicken once it gets warm enough.
You can use single cream or thicker ones diluted with water, and the number of eggs is rather dependant upon size and the thickness of the custard required. You can even use milk - but why anyone would want to......
Once made allow to cool down. Add various flavourings. The standard one is vanilla, but be adventurous and try various options - orange flavour with orange jelly, and whipped cream on top with dark chocolate finely grated - or use coconut milk to dilute a thick cream for the custard, then put it on top of a lime jelly with wafer thin slices of lime added at the hot stage to soften and release the oils, decorate with a mixture of whipped cream and desiccated coconut, and then a light sprinkle of more of the coconut. The grated chocolate is also good with a strawberry jelly, with frozen strawberries added in, then add strawberry flavour to the custard and maybe make it pink too - decorate with cream, and maybe fresh strawberries half dipped into melted chocolate.
You can see why my low carb desserts are becoming a much requested item at the various gatherings I attend.

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was younger what I considered to be real custard was made from a ready made powder where you add milk and sugar. I was thinking of making some but using sweetner instead. I will when I get a chance.

I think you can still get Birds custard powder in the shops...
This is also my custard that I normally make, but think you can make it from scratch with eggs and cream......not sure though.

Reactions: Listlad

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That Mr bird has a lot to answer for.
Real custard is cream and eggs.
Beat the eggs and mix in the cream, place in a microwave and warm up the mixture gently, whisking between short burst of medium power heating. The mixture will thicken once it gets warm enough.
You can use single cream or thicker ones diluted with water, and the number of eggs is rather dependant upon size and the thickness of the custard required. You can even use milk - but why anyone would want to......
Once made allow to cool down. Add various flavourings. The standard one is vanilla, but be adventurous and try various options - orange flavour with orange jelly, and whipped cream on top with dark chocolate finely grated - or use coconut milk to dilute a thick cream for the custard, then put it on top of a lime jelly with wafer thin slices of lime added at the hot stage to soften and release the oils, decorate with a mixture of whipped cream and desiccated coconut, and then a light sprinkle of more of the coconut. The grated chocolate is also good with a strawberry jelly, with frozen strawberries added in, then add strawberry flavour to the custard and maybe make it pink too - decorate with cream, and maybe fresh strawberries half dipped into melted chocolate.
You can see why my low carb desserts are becoming a much requested item at the various gatherings I attend.

I thought you might say that. :D

Reactions: AngiH