DISCRIMINATION AT SCHOOL

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya Guys,

I teach at a secondary school and my head of department has tried to hide a job opportunity from me. When I enquired about the job in question, she said it wouldn't be right for me because of my diabetes. She said diabetes is an autoimmune condition and when you don't want to get ill, you get ill!

In addition, she told me that I might fall pregnant - she knows I have had a couple of miscarriages and that's the reason she assumes we are trying for a baby. When I pointed out that other people in the department might also fall pregnant, she told me they aren't actively trying!

I told her we might as well be living a hundred years ago when women didn't have the right to vote!

I feel really upset and I don't usually feel downhearted about my diabetes, but today I can't seem to shake it off. I spoke to HR who are speaking to her and I really feel like leaving. I don't know what to do :(

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Firstly record it all in writing ideally as an email to yourself so you can prove the date you wrote it.

If you do decide that her actions have given you no option but to leave, talk to an employment solicitor first, as you need to get the wording correct in your letter, so you can then bring a legal action. This is where you union may come in very useful if you are a member.

I can think of at least two sets of laws your employer has broken, and whatever HR does, unless they sack the head of the department you will have to keep working with her. If you are not happy with this, tell HR "I am in the process of taking legal advice"......

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
How in the hell would this imbecile be privvy to the private lives of other people? If your HR dept is half way any good, she'll be sacked. TOTAL violation. Don't leave whatever you do. If a guy said that to me, he'd be in some serious SERIOUS trouble

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Your post and the answer depends on where you are. are you in the UK are you in the USA Australia etc. different places have different Laws. However assuming you are in the U.K. the advice given by ringi is sound You should also mention it to colleagues as soon after the debate after the event so that you have further collaboration. Your biggest problem this is probably its a she said she sais situation without witnesses f there were witnesses who are they likely to support ?) get . to your union or a Lawyer and take advice If you have a grievance procedure consider lodging a grievance to get it on the record.

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your post and the answer depends on where you are. are you in the UK are you in the USA Australia etc. different places have different Laws. However assuming you are in the U.K. the advice given by ringi is sound You should also mention it to colleagues as soon after the debate after the event so that you have further collaboration. Your biggest problem this is probably its a she said she sais situation without witnesses f there were witnesses who are they likely to support ?) get . to your union or a Lawyer and take advice If you have a grievance procedure consider lodging a grievance to get it on the record.
I am in the UK and the school is run as an academy not by a council. You're right, HR said I need to hear her side of the story and I know she is more than likely to twist her words and say she didn't say it. She also said she will give a guy who may be leaving a bad reference because she doesn't like him!

Reactions: Happyhomelands

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How in the hell would this imbecile be privvy to the private lives of other people? If your HR dept is half way any good, she'll be sacked. TOTAL violation. Don't leave whatever you do. If a guy said that to me, he'd be in some serious SERIOUS trouble
They won't sack her. Last time I was off having a miscarriage, she was on the phone to me for forty minutes asking me all the details and telling me they would struggle to cope in terms of covering my classes, if I didn't return to work the following week which left me stressed out and suffering from anxiety!

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Firstly record it all in writing ideally as an email to yourself so you can prove the date you wrote it.

If you do decide that her actions have given you no option but to leave, talk to an employment solicitor first, as you need to get the wording correct in your letter, so you can then bring a legal action. This is where you union may come in very useful if you are a member.

I can think of at least two sets of laws your employer has broken, and whatever HR does, unless they sack the head of the department you will have to keep working with her. If you are not happy with this, tell HR "I am in the process of taking legal advice"......
I think she broke three laws: pregnancy disability and gender. The girl she wants to take the job is 25 years old and married so could fall pregnant too. I am 35 so she might also be discriminating against me because of my age. I feel like taking legal action but don't want the school to hate me for it in the long term :( She also told me she wants all the members of dept who have responsibility to be women, so I don't know if she is discriminating against everyone. HR said it will be a fair process if I do decide to go for the job. However, I think the ultimate decision will lie with my head of department.

Reactions: Happyhomelands

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Slayer, holy goodness thats a shocking amount of discrimination!! You are covered under the disability discrimination act which you should look at. Thats for your diabetes! The pregnancy stuff is outrageously sexist and you need to document that entire conversation with the date. Absolutely disgusting. Dont get down hearted...fight back! Youre as able as anyone to do that job!

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
... astonished.

Talk to your Union Rep as a priority: others might have complained about this one in the past, and they'll be able to filter what's useful and actionable and what isn't without you having to pay by the hour. They will probably also have a roster of reliable (and affordable) solicitors so you're not trying to pick one out of the hat.

As an aside, academies are the worst thing to happen to education in the UK since... ever. I am friends with several teachers, one of whom is being bullied into accepting the role of SENCO, another is being forced onto a deputy head track, none of whom are happy. I admire anyone who is willing to get into - and stay in - education these days. I have no idea how you do it.

Much love,

Sock x

Reactions: DawnOfTheZed

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... astonished.

Talk to your Union Rep as a priority: others might have complained about this one in the past, and they'll be able to filter what's useful and actionable and what isn't without you having to pay by the hour. They will probably also have a roster of reliable (and affordable) solicitors so you're not trying to pick one out of the hat.

As an aside, academies are the worst thing to happen to education in the UK since... ever. I am friends with several teachers, one of whom is being bullied into accepting the role of SENCO, another is being forced onto a deputy head track, none of whom are happy. I admire anyone who is willing to get into - and stay in - education these days. I have no idea how you do it.

Much love,

Sock x
I don't think anyone in the school is part of a union and we don't have a union rep. We are asked to come into work on a Saturday, have meetings during lunch and even meetings after school, including intervention sessions for our Year 11 students after school for an hour and training sessions until 5pm every week. We literally don't get a moment to ourselves. I feel as though my diabetes has made me seem incompetent and not human like in her eyes. She said oh with all your infections when I have had the usual run og the mill things such as wisdom tooth pain and the flu virus everyone got over the winter. I feel so broken and there are so many tears and so much pain inside me.

Reactions: Kevin259

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think anyone in the school is part of a union and we don't have a union rep. We are asked to come into work on a Saturday, have meetings during lunch and even meetings after school, including intervention sessions for our Year 11 students after school for an hour and training sessions until 5pm every week. We literally don't get a moment to ourselves. I feel as though my diabetes has made me seem incompetent and not human like in her eyes. She said oh with all your infections when I have had the usual run og the mill things such as wisdom tooth pain and the flu virus everyone got over the winter. I feel so broken and there are so many tears and so much pain inside me.
Could ACAS help?
http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3793

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Hi Slayer. I recently retired from teaching and had spent 18 years as a union rep. During this time I supported other members of staff some of whom had found themselves in similar situations. There were usually several possible courses of action, the first being an (informal) meeting with your head of department in front of HR/Head. If this does not get her to back off, starting a formal grievance is your next option. You need to be clear as to what you want the outcome from this to be before you begin. The next stage is joining a union and seeking the support of the regional rep. However, as you are not currently a union member, you might find that your case is not a high priority. However, you may discover that other complaints about the same person have been made.
Will she back off and behave more reasonably if you begin to defend yourself? If you feel that this is not a fight that you are going to get any satisfaction from then seeking another job in either another school or out of teaching should be considered. Your physical health and sanity are also really important and teachers have to have both in abundance to survive in the current climate. Good luck with any course of action that you decide to take. Remember, the school employed you knowing that you were diabetic. They must have recognised your skills and expertise!

Last edited:

Happyhomelands

You have been given good advice. One more to add, don't give up your post without another one lined up. If you need to take a little time off sick because of the effect of the stress so be it. That is why we pay our taxes. You haven't said anything about the rest of the senior leadership team, if they are a tight knit bunch then you may need to plan to move on, but only when it suits you. You have a right to see your personel file, including any references. Just because she has made you unhappy doesn't mean you can't shine somewhere else. Good luck. Let us know how you get on xxx

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Slayer, holy goodness thats a shocking amount of discrimination!! You are covered under the disability discrimination act which you should look at. Thats for your diabetes! The pregnancy stuff is outrageously sexist and you need to document that entire conversation with the date. Absolutely disgusting. Dont get down hearted...fight back! Youre as able as anyone to do that job!

Not just sexist it is actually gender discrimination and like the disability discrimination written in law. You can be in a union wether anyone else in the building is in one or not. Join a teaching union NOW!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In addition to every other fault - revealing personal details about other members of staff is not at all professional - assuming that it was not just made up about other members of staff not trying for a baby at the moment.
Though if my daughter in law is any guide, children have a habit of arriving as and when no one expects them.

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The problem is that now if I apply for the job and not get it, I will feel like it is due to the prejudiced thoughts and discriminatory views of my head of department!

Reactions: Kevin259

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's not your problem, that's hers.

Join a union. Get some advice before changing too much.