Discrimination:

Chelsea__

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone ever been/felt like they've been discriminated against in their workplace? And if so, what did you do about it?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Do you mean because of having diabetes? If so then the answer is No.

Chelsea__

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, it's recently happened to me and I've lost my job. So was wondering if anyone else has had different treatment because they're diabetic.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Diabetes is covered by the DDA (Disability Discrimination Act), if you feel you've been discriminated because of your diabetes you could pursue the matter @Chelsea_

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Yeah, it's recently happened to me and I've lost my job. So was wondering if anyone else has had different treatment because they're diabetic.
What happened if you don't mind telling us, then perhaps someone could offer some advice.

Chelsea__

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm studying nursing and have worked in a care home for over a year and they recently told me they couldn't have me looking after residents in case I suddenly took a hypo or became unwell with my diabetes. They were fine with me working there before but to be fair there have been days where I have phoned in sick due to being unwell, but I had some time off recently due to being in hospital with a infection and it was affecting my blood sugars but that was out of my control and I handed a in sick line, I called them after I got out of hospital to say I was ready to come back to work but they told me to come in for a meeting and there I was told (what was said above) and that I had lost my job.

Klangley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
WOW. I would expect a more informed view from health care professionals! This sounds not just morally wrong but as if you could have a case for legal redress. You should definitely seek some professional advice.

Reactions: 4 people

Nizhoni08

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I always tell people not to go in the care industry. You will be treated like a slave and bullied and harrased. It's not a good line of work. And in comparison of people of the same age. People who work in customer service look younger then their peers who work in nursing homes. Although what they did was eligal I strongly suggest you go in another feal of work. Stay away from nursing homes hospitals and the health care industry in general.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I'm studying nursing and have worked in a care home for over a year and they recently told me they couldn't have me looking after residents in case I suddenly took a hypo or became unwell with my diabetes. They were fine with me working there before but to be fair there have been days where I have phoned in sick due to being unwell, but I had some time off recently due to being in hospital with a infection and it was affecting my blood sugars but that was out of my control and I handed a in sick line, I called them after I got out of hospital to say I was ready to come back to work but they told me to come in for a meeting and there I was told (what was said above) and that I had lost my job.

Hi Chelsea....sounds like you have been treated shabbily and illegally, but whether or not you can get some satisfaction and redress will depend on the evidence you have, on the company's expressed reasons for your dismissal. I recently completed a law degree, spending a good while on employment law, and my wife is a nurse who now works for an agency around a wide number of care homes. Undoubtedly standards vary from home to home and some are very poorly managed. Money is very much the driving force not love of people, so you can be dealing with detached and ruthless owners. I don't agree with the comment that you should stay away from care work and health care in general. I'm not sure what the person advising you there has as experience...and it's a very extreme and subjective condemnation of the NHS and social services. Nursing is still an excellent profession with a lot of job security (here and abroad), and there are very good opportunities in specific skilled areas. Sure there are all kinds of problems with management, cut-backs, organization, etc etc...but that applies to every industry in my experience..and having worked in insurance, construction, demolition, education, renewable energy and small business in my time, I can tell you it's everywhere...and worse now than ever, but...let's not confuse poorly run profit making private homes with the NHS and with some very good care homes, palliative care homes, residential homes and social care facilities. The point isn't that you should give up because everything's terrible - it's that people need to challenge illegal activity and shoddy practice, when they are discriminated against. My wife may have criticisms of places she has worked, but in today's confused world, nursing is a good qualification and a job for life. Don't let the....grind you down...

My advice is either accept the negative advice of others and give up on the career path you have chosen...or challenge it, learn from it and go on. Fair enough if you have arrived at your own decision to change direction but don't be bullied out of it by idiots, money-grabbers and crooks. So - call a solicitors near to you (preferably not a large expensive one) and ask the if they do a "free diagnostic"...and if so, do they have an employment lawyer you could come in and see. If they do, the diagnostic is an interview where you can say what's happened and they can say (without any fee) whether or not you have a case. They will tell you what they can do for you (and that's where cost comes in, but only if you engage their services). It's common practice today for solicitors to offer free diagnostics. There is also the route of formally complaining to the employer and pushing for arbitration (an independent organization to judge), and there are tribunals you can appeal to. Up to ypu, but don't be put off your chosen career. No-one can sack you for being diabetic!

Reactions: 6 people

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Sounds unfair...I was working till 70 years young and had no problems with employers, would deffinately look into why they think you can not look after people just because you are Diabetic

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you a member of a union? If so, your Union might be able to offer some advice/assistance. To be honest, with a claim like this, even the bigger more expensive law firms would probably quite like to take your case on a no win no fee basis so it might be worth looking at what firms nursing unions use for employment claims to see if they will do the diagnostic chat @pleinster has mentioned.

I just wanted to say that there are plenty of type 1 doctors and nurses so the idea that you can't be trusted with patients in case you have a hypo is just obviously nonsense and if this experience has caused you to worry about nursing as a career see if you can have a chat with your course provider - they might be able to put you in touch with someone to have a chat to about mitigating the diabetic risks (which I would think would just be make sure you have your monitor and a hypo treatment in your pocket all the time and if you think you are going low but can't for some reason test, just take the hypo treatment and worry about it later) so that you and your future employer can be confident that you will be safe with patients.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
As has been said totally unfair and unlawful get your self representation.

Reactions: 2 people

Chelsea__

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm just really upset about the whole situation because I loved my job and the residents that I cared for, but it's obvious all they care about is money at the end of the day. Thanks for all your advice, I really appreciate it!

Reactions: 6 people

Chelsea__

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got an appointment with citizens advice tomorrow so hopefully we can get something sorted so someone else doesn't have to go through it.

Reactions: 9 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've worked in Care before and never had any problems.

This doesn't sound right to me, and I'm very pleased your seeking further advice. Could it be that they're using the diabetes as an excuse to be rid of you? Do you think it was the fact that you were off sick that annoyed them?

Before you see CAB, make a list of what you want to talk about and any information you have eg what exactly your employer said and when, when you called to tell them you were off sick, any letters you've been given, etc.

Do let us know how you get on, and good luck :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I work in care (I work with autistic adults) and, on the whole, my employers have been fine. But. over the years, there have been a few occasions when I have felt that my diabetes has made a difference and when I queried the decisions I have always been given a different reason. Its just that when you add them all up together it seems a little strange as I am very over-qualified for my job.

loafhead

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High tax for low returns, judgemental people and shopping
This sounds like discrimination. I know a type 1 who works in a&e at a children's hospital, they have no such concerns of a hypo whilst on shift. Speak to a solicitor or ask your employer for evidence of why you were dismissed.

Chelsea__

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I worked there for over a year and never had any problems till just now, it just doesn't make sense to me whatsoever and I'm just really hurt by it all. I'll let you's all know what has been said tomorrow after my appointment, thanks for getting back to me

Reactions: 5 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I worked there for over a year and never had any problems till just now, it just doesn't make sense to me whatsoever and I'm just really hurt by it all. I'll let you's all know what has been said tomorrow after my appointment, thanks for getting back to me
Hi Chelsea, when you see the people at the CAB make sure you have written down all that happened and what was said so it's fresh in your mind. I had a read of your other posts and see that you have had major problems with your control in the past and some days now not taking your insulin. Do you think that this has had an impact on your quality of work without you realising it, so your bosses decided to terminate your employment? I hope this isn't the case but it's just a suggestion to consider, because if it's taken further you will have to release your medical records.
Wishing you the very best and hoping another company will take you on and appreciate all your hard work.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got an appointment with citizens advice tomorrow so hopefully we can get something sorted so someone else doesn't have to go through it.

Diabetes UK has a care line that may also be able to help. I'm sorry, I don't have the web address.

If I recall correctly, @noblehead can usually find the address somewhere.

Good luck with it all. Your treatment sounds shabby.