Disillusioned & Giving Up On The Freestyle Libre...

Carlton1512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When your diabetes misbehaves for no apparent reason.
So after the honeymoon period for quite a few months with the Freestyle Libre patches, I've finally decided to give up using them as they are just too unreliable. I've had several fall off after going to the gym which were replaced by Abbot, but even after applying Tegaderm sticky patches over them, they were still coming unstuck 10 or 12 days into using them. I also suffered with the bad skin reaction when I took them off or they fell off (a burn like scar). It finally came to a head when the last two sensors I've applied kept getting `Scan Error. Try again in 10 minutes'. The error code was 373 for reference. I've spoken Abbot and told them how disillusioned I have become with the sensors unreliability, again they offered to replace the sensor but I said not to bother as it would probably fall off or not work. I asked about getting a refund as I purchased them myself and they have actually agreed to refund me instead of sending a replacement. Has anyone given up using Libre system because of various problems? I'm curious as just wondered if I am just unlucky, or is Libre not as fantastic as it is made out to be?

Last edited:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Carlton1512 I have gone through periods of having sensors fall off, although haven't had one fail yet, i'm pretty much wearing them all the time now as I need the information to help manage my diabetes and because I like to run/cycle they are great as I can keep going and scan when I need to. Customer Service have been great in responding to issues.

Sometimes particularly with sensors falling off it could be a batch issue.

Out of interest where are you sticking them ?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hello @Carlton1512 I have been using the Libre since January and have only had 1 bad sensor where there was no readings off it when I put it on. Never had one fall off, they stick to me like limpets, I even bought some skin tac wipes to try but never used them. Looks like you have just been unlucky. I really like the system, they have been really accurate for me and have helped in getting my HBA1C down due to being able to spot trends

Reactions: Carlton1512

Carlton1512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @Juicyj , yes the Abbot customer service were great at first with replacing them, but when I reported yet another one coming off, they said that they was not prepared to replace any more as I had used up my `quota'. I made sure the sensors were applied as per their instructions, I washed (showered) and then cleaned the area again with the supplied alco wipe and allowed it to dry before applying the sensor. I applied to the back of my arms and also the inside of arms which worked fine for the first few sensors. My latest `drama' was the scanning errors and getting no readings after starting the patch, which is why I've given up on them:arghh:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @Carlton1512 Saying you had used up your quota is not good customer service, when their product has failed too, I have not heard anyone get this feedback so it could be just be the individual you spoke to.

I would suggest trying different areas for placing the sensor, I have heard some people use their upper chest area to site them, other's use their stomach or legs and getting good readings. It's entirely your call of course if you decide against using them, I personally couldn't do without mine now so will try anything now - otherwise Dexcom have released the G6 their latest CGM offering which i've heard good things about, slightly more expensive though.

Carlton1512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @Juicyj Yes, I did argue my case about the failure of their product and the how bad it is that they came off after a while. The person I spoke to was adamant that I wasn't entitled to a replacement for another 3 months. I said that it was ridiculous that I have purchased their product, which has failed yet again and they was not prepared to replace it when it has failed. They then offered to sent me a guide with additional means of securing the sensor on with things like Tegaderm etc.
Of course this is just one of the reasons I've given up the Libre, bad skin irritation (which again I phoned them about), scan errors and failures of the sensor, the sensor not loading correctly when going to apply a new one thus rendering it useless as you can't reload the sensor once it has been `fired'. It may seem that I'm incompetent or just unlucky with these sensors, but there comes a point when with what else we diabetics have to put with, I just got fed up of the constant failures and having to call their helpline.

Hi @porl69 Yes they are good when they work and handy for the trends etc, especially if I woke during the night and just wanted to check my levels. Hopefully you won't have the same issues, as it does wear you down :(

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @Carlton1512 If you did decide to try again then use Cavlon spray on your skin first, it applies a protective layer which can prevent skin sensitivity issues, also think about trying a different spot as well as using the tegaderm plaster, I only use tegaderm now on holidays due to swimming, as for sensors not loading properly when you apply a new one, I take it you are waiting 12 hours to bed the sensor in first ? Sadly from the sound of it you've had the worst experience of anyone i've heard of using the libre so it sounds like an unfortunate set of circumstances with your sensors which is a shame, but Abbott really should be honouring any sensors which have failed, that's not good enough.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @Juicyj Yes, I did argue my case about the failure of their product and the how bad it is that they came off after a while. The person I spoke to was adamant that I wasn't entitled to a replacement for another 3 months. I said that it was ridiculous that I have purchased their product, which has failed yet again and they was not prepared to replace it when it has failed. They then offered to sent me a guide with additional means of securing the sensor on with things like Tegaderm etc.
Of course this is just one of the reasons I've given up the Libre, bad skin irritation (which again I phoned them about), scan errors and failures of the sensor, the sensor not loading correctly when going to apply a new one thus rendering it useless as you can't reload the sensor once it has been `fired'. It may seem that I'm incompetent or just unlucky with these sensors, but there comes a point when with what else we diabetics have to put with, I just got fed up of the constant failures and having to call their helpline.

Hi @porl69 Yes they are good when they work and handy for the trends etc, especially if I woke during the night and just wanted to check my levels. Hopefully you won't have the same issues, as it does wear you down :(

I would definitely be phoning Abbotts up again and speaking to a supervisor about the faulty sensors you are having

Reactions: Carlton1512

Carlton1512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks @Juicyj and @porl69 . I have used the Cavlon spray previously, but unfortunately it didn't make any difference and still made my skin look like I had been stamped by a hot iron. When I mention the sensors not loading correctly, I mean into the applicator device that is used to apply the sensor to the skin. Again, it may just look like I'm incompetent, but for some reason I have had 2 sensors do this (not in succession). I place the grey part flat on a table, then line up the part the sensor is in, before loading it. But when I go to fire it onto to my arm, it doesn't release correctly and gets stuck in the device used to apply it to the skin. I said to the helpline that this is a stupid design and a waste as you can't reload it to try and apply it again, but the helpdesk person didn't have anything in their script they read to comment and just said they will send out a replacement (again)

Reactions: porl69