Dislike of food

lynbrown

I have gone off food in the past couple of years. Sometimes if I look at a recipe in a magazine, I can feel my stomach rising. I really only eat to stop my readings going too low, so its a continual fight to eat something. It has to be bland, maybe a baked potato. Any tips? PS I am 77.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @lynbrown - Have you spoken to your doctor about this ? The biggest concern is whether you are getting the nutrients you need from your current diet as your health will be affected if you're not, that's why a chat with your GP even if it's a phone appointment to just do a review and check in with them would be advisable.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have gone off food in the past couple of years. Sometimes if I look at a recipe in a magazine, I can feel my stomach rising. I really only eat to stop my readings going too low, so its a continual fight to eat something. It has to be bland, maybe a baked potato. Any tips? PS I am 77.

Hi there, it can be hard can't it, and I do feel for you. When I was diagnosed I went through the same thing (I think you're on insulin???), it all became a flipping nuisance to have to think about food ALL the time, it became a chore in fact. It got to the stage where I felt I was forcing myself to have a meal just to stop going gaunt. You realise (pre diabetes) that it's so easy to rustle something up without having to give any thought to it and then suddenly everything becomes like a scientific experiment, involving guesswork, calculations and calendars worked out in advance, followed by 24 hours of chaos if you get it 'wrong'. I found I was sticking to the same meal most days because the guesswork had been taken out of the equation. I decided to get together a collection of tasty meals as my 'go to' meals and then gradually started to introduce other things when I was on a day off from work for example. I guess 'blandness' doesn't help as that lends itself to high carb grabs but what about omelettes, soup with a piece of toast, gammon (yum & easy to cook). A jacket potato with loads of butter (providing you can cope with the carbs) sounds good too. Or put a load of veg (whatever you want) in a tray, slather it in olive oil or butter, stick it in the oven and it tastes fab, especially with easy to cook salmon, etc. x