Disposing of lancets etc

doolallylady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there a specific procedure for disposing of lancets and strips, or recommendations as to the safest, most used way. Thank you.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
best bet is to ask your GP for a sharps bin.
and ask in the surgery about where to turn in full ones.

mine are collected when full by the local council now and they leave an empty one for me as a replacement

Reactions: 2 people

doolallylady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I'm seeing the nurse tomorrow and I'll ask her, although she did tell me not to test at my last appointment.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i thought you might say that when I was typing my response.:)

as you are showing as a type 2 may I ask if you are self funding the testing gear?

it is not really relevant but more of a point to shame the nurse into providing the sharps bin if you are self funding the testing gear.

if it is being provided on prescription there should be no issue whatsoever to her providing the sharps bin.

good luck and all the best !!

Reactions: 4 people

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe in most countries in Europe, you will always find dedicated and specially labeled lancet/needle bins at your local Pharmacy. They also accept any full bins returned to them and take care of the permanent and safe disposal. These bins are also good in your own private home, as they typically are constructed so you can insert dirty lancets/needles but you cannot (easily) open or take content out again. So no worries with guests or kids in your house.

doolallylady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, bought a Code-free tester, lancets and strips.

When I enquired about testing I was told that they would not provide the equipment for type 2's and that it is not recommended for them to test. She also insisted that I eat at least 5 portions of carbs each day. (I didn't listen to that either, shhhh).

Thank you for the good wishes :).

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thank you. I'm seeing the nurse tomorrow and I'll ask her, although she did tell me not to test at my last appointment.

You can purchase the sharps bins for less than £5 on the likes of eBay/Amazon if your surgery won't provide one.

Reactions: 4 people

LaurenMoffitt

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I use recapping safety lancets and dispose of them and test strips in household waste. I carry a film pot when out and put in there and empty when at home.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's my take on it.

How much blood is there really on a strip or lancet? How much blood could there be on a disposable razor, my OH uses to scrape his face each day?

When I change a lancet, I use the little blob of the new one to embed the sharp of the old one, then it is effectively capped. Strips I put directly into household waste.

When I am out and about, I have an "empty" pot strip pot in my handbag and just put any detritus in there, for disposal when I get home. Lots of people use the previous empty pot to collect the current pot's used strips, then dospose of it when a new pot is opened. As many people reuse lancets (I do, to no ill-effect as yet), then those could go in the old pot too, sharp to the bottom. I never knowingly put my fingers into the old pot anyway. Why would I need to?

For those using injectable medication, the needs are different, obviously.

I just try to keep things simple and to have modified the life I lead by as little as possible through this diabetes thing.

Reactions: 8 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do that too ️. and empty when I am next at the docs or hospital. X

Tarabas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
To have an excuse to eat it once in a month I use this:

056476c2b0655da80cc6363c751116b9.jpg
and duct tape on the cap when full.

sandra curtis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi your doctor can prescribe you a sharps box.Its a different system with the disposal of a sharps box in different parts of the country.Sometimes the council will collect the full sharps box and leave you another empty sharps box and you could always ask if you can leave a full box at your doctors surgery.I do this and it's great as I order prescription for empty sharps box a few days before so I have an empty box on prescription ready for me to collect. I have occasionally used an empty small plastic bottle to to dispose of my finger lancets test strips and the needles this is recognised in the area I live in I hope you get it all
sorted soon. Your nurse has been told you not to give you all the bits for testing for