Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Animals apart from dogs.
Meat
Parking
Horror movies or programs
Hi all,

I was newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in March. I have been taking metformin ever since. On Thursday, I was able to increase the tablets to two. I've been advised to increase them but is struggling to do this.

This week has been extremely stressful. I've had a meeting with work, due to being off on the sick. One of my grandmothers is in hospital so be sharing responsibility visiting.

Therefore on Thursday evenings after I got home I suffered a spell of dizziness. Could the diabetes, metformin and stress be the cause? It passed after a short period, but I was unable to move, or do anything for the duration.

Any help, advise and feedback will be much appreciated

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
I suspect it is more likely to be the stress as the side effects of metformin are usually in the tummy area. Do you have an issue with blood pressure or your ears? If you are worried about the dizzy spell, it may be as well to mention it to your GP, particularly if it happens again.

Take care

Doug

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's impossible to say. However from personal experience I would advise you to see your GP for it, especially if it's something out of the ordinary as I have several different conditions which can all cause dizziness (amongst other unpleasant symptoms). Please do not sit on it and assume what it is. Do you measure your blood glucose? If not it would be wise to get yourself a meter so that you can't rule out low blood glucose.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Libby - Dizziness can be caused by a number of things. You mentioned being sick and being stressed, one or both of these could be the culprit. It's possible you were dehydrated at the time too, that can cause dizziness. As to whether or not it is your diabetes and the metformin, you would need to check your sugar levels at the time. I had my first hypo on metformin only.... that's another possibility for you (although you said it was only for a while so maybe not). I didn't get dizziness as a side effect of metformin (I was on it for 5 years), but I did get a lot of diarrhoea and nausea. It's a good idea to discuss it with your doc though as checks should be done. (eg. you may have low iron... I have iron malabsorption and that is one of the symptoms I get when too low... after the infusions I'm good)

Libby81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Animals apart from dogs.
Meat
Parking
Thanks all

I'm on a combination of medication. Obviously metformin for the diabetes, I'm on my third course of iron...and I'm on a vitamin D tablet as I have a diffency.

I guess the dizziness could have been to do with anyone of those tablets.

Reactions: 2 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Libby81 are you eating more/less due to stress.
A change of diet can give dizzy spells.
Please fit in a quick gp appointment to have your blood pressure checked. Although if you tell gp you're stressed at mo then he will just note your reading and ask you to have it re-checked. Do you have a self monitor? Lloyds chemist and others sell them with your size cuff.
Everyones blood pressure is different in times of stress.
How do you relieve your stress?
I go swimming. Gentle widths/lengths and stretches.
You might need a formula to help you relieve your stress!
I hope things get better for you soon. :)

Libby81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Animals apart from dogs.
Meat
Parking
Thanks ickihun

My eating doesn't have any structure to it currently. I have a monitor to check my blood, since my meeting with work on Wednesday tho. Blood sugar has been extremely high.

Prior to the meeting, my sugar shot up to 17 the highest it's ever been, and since then it's only gone slightly below 10 on one occasion.

Since being off work with stress, I haven't actually undertaken any activities to relieve the stress. I've been so worried about being seen by colleagues. I am going away on Tuesday abroad, so hopefully that will help with the stress.

Stoort

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

I was newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in March. I have been taking metformin ever since. On Thursday, I was able to increase the tablets to two. I've been advised to increase them but is struggling to do this.

This week has been extremely stressful. I've had a meeting with work, due to being off on the sick. One of my grandmothers is in hospital so be sharing responsibility visiting.

Therefore on Thursday evenings after I got home I suffered a spell of dizziness. Could the diabetes, metformin and stress be the cause? It passed after a short period, but I was unable to move, or do anything for the duration.

Any help, advise and feedback will be much appreciated

Check any other medicines that you are taking for side effects. Get an eye test as your eyesight might be changing and this can cause headaches.(Diabetics need their eyes tested at least once a year). If you are confident to seek information on line check your drugs there, but be very careful to use sites that are genuine such as medicies.org.uk or NHS. Treat manufacturers sites tongue in cheek as their advice Go to your doctor if you are taking other drugs and find headaches as a side effect because sometimes drugs can react with each other. Treat advice from other diabetics with caution, what is good for the goose is not always good for the gander. Alter nothing unless told to do so by your Doctor or appropriate health team member. Listen carefully to what your Care team are telling you, and make sure that you understand their instructions even if it means asking them to repeat it more than once. Good luck

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
And get your blood pressure checked low BP can make you dizzy and may have nothing to do with your diabetes.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Check any other medicines that you are taking for side effects. Get an eye test as your eyesight might be changing and this can cause headaches.(Diabetics need their eyes tested at least once a year). If you are confident to seek information on line check your drugs there, but be very careful to use sites that are genuine such as medicies.org.uk or NHS. Treat manufacturers sites tongue in cheek as their advice Go to your doctor if you are taking other drugs and find headaches as a side effect because sometimes drugs can react with each other. Treat advice from other diabetics with caution, what is good for the goose is not always good for the gander. Alter nothing unless told to do so by your Doctor or appropriate health team member. Listen carefully to what your Care team are telling you, and make sure that you understand their instructions even if it means asking them to repeat it more than once. Good luck

This is not a contradiction, but if many of the posters on here listened to the health care team, they would be extremely ill. Including myself.
The advice about diet especially. Most surgeries, doctors, health advisors and uncle Tom Cobberly have been giving wrong advice about the amount of carbs necessary for a diabetic. Including myself.
The clued up medical practitioners are few and far between, and having a blood glucose disorder is even worse. Many endocrinologists haven't a clue.
The reason this site is so popular and successful is because of the knowledgeable posters and their experiences and their successful control with the conditions.

Of course any problems with medication should be discussed with your GP.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
@Stoort Just to remind you that the ethos of this forum is about providing support, advice and guidance, often based on our own experience and not as health care professionals. It is for any forum member to take all that onboard, along with information from elsewhere, and make a decision as to how to act. It is OTT to indicate that advice from forum members should be treated with caution.

Regards

Doug