1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

DKA SCARE!

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Tweety88, Sep 12, 2019 at 7:02 AM.

1. Tweety88

Tweety88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello, I was just wondering if you could do me a post please...

I’ve been type one for 21 years and had my first brush with DKA yesterday! It was scary! My Omnipod had come out while I did the school run- my sugar was 7.8 before the school run and 19.8 with 1.5 ketones on my return! (We were probably about 2-2.5 hours total as we went to the park etc.) I had no idea why it was so high, so checked my pod and realised it had come out of the skin! I have them on my ‘love handles’ at the moment because my stomach needs a rest, So it’s not as easy to see if they’ve come out. I did everything I should do, corrected with a pen and changed my pod. Then I was sick twice and felt horrendous for a couple of hours, I know o was on the cusp of needing hospital treatment, but an hour later my ketones were 1.2 and the following hour 0.4 and I felt so much better!

Bloods fine this morning 4.4!

My question is- am I okay to carry on as normal today? I have hockey training later? Or should I take it easy?

I NEVER want to experience this again.

• Hug Hug x 4
  2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello @Tweety88 that's the thing with using a pump is that it can escalate very quickly so it was a good job you could get insulin on board and fix the issue.

In regards to activity today, go with how your feeling, if your feeling ok then carry on as normal, a friend's son was in dka in hospital last weekend and back to school on Monday, am pretty certain he felt rough but as he's young he bounced back quickly, it just depends on you feel though, if your up to it then carry on, if still feeling rough then take it easy.

Thank goodness your ok though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

It really does depend on how you feel. I've had a pod failure and will quickly shoot up to over 16 in just hours, I take a shot, put on a new pod and I've always been fine carrying on normally. But I never had ketones that I knew of anyway, nor did I ever feel sick at all. DKA can be really serious so luckily it looks like you are doing better, but keep an eye out for the next few days for ketones.

Now I have a Dexcom and that is such a blessing as my alarms go off and let me know if I climb too high or too low. If you can get a libre people use different apps so they can get alarms. Alarms really make a difference in letting you know what's going on. (they can also be annoying sometimes ). But even being able to glance at a libre to see what is up is a life changer.

• Like Like x 1
  4. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Tweety88 sending ((HUGS))
    Things go down hill quickly when pumping if/when there is a problem with your pump
    Take things as easy as you can today

5. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

@Tweety88 I had similarish experience over the weekend as my pump decided to intermittently work which resulted in amazing rollercoaster graphs as I tried to work out whether it was the pump or insulin causing the problems.
    When my BG was high, I felt horrible (although never physically sick) and then it would come down and I would feel ok.
    It took me about 12 hours and 3 pump changes (different types of insulin) to work out the pump needed replacing and I had to revert to injections.

The next day, I felt better but not 100%. I still went to the gym but took it easier than usual.
    Actually, it was the day of the Great North Run so I spent longer on the treadmill watching the runners and doing my equivalent of joining in (plodding) but very little weights because I was exhausted.
    So, my advice would be to listen to your body and do what you feel you can (or can't) on the hockey pitch.

I am a Libre user but as it is very inaccurate at high (and low) readings, I did not use it and reverted to finger pricks to track my BG falling when the pump was working.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

as others have said go with how you actually feel …. I find when I have a pump failure that after the pen correction and pod change I am back in range within a few hours and I just carry on as normal ( but have never experienced DKA symptoms while awaiting BG's to return to range )

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook