DKA SCARE!

Tweety88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, I was just wondering if you could do me a post please...

I’ve been type one for 21 years and had my first brush with DKA yesterday! It was scary! My Omnipod had come out while I did the school run- my sugar was 7.8 before the school run and 19.8 with 1.5 ketones on my return! (We were probably about 2-2.5 hours total as we went to the park etc.) I had no idea why it was so high, so checked my pod and realised it had come out of the skin! I have them on my ‘love handles’ at the moment because my stomach needs a rest, So it’s not as easy to see if they’ve come out. I did everything I should do, corrected with a pen and changed my pod. Then I was sick twice and felt horrendous for a couple of hours, I know o was on the cusp of needing hospital treatment, but an hour later my ketones were 1.2 and the following hour 0.4 and I felt so much better!

Bloods fine this morning 4.4!

My question is- am I okay to carry on as normal today? I have hockey training later? Or should I take it easy?

I NEVER want to experience this again.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Tweety88 that's the thing with using a pump is that it can escalate very quickly so it was a good job you could get insulin on board and fix the issue.

In regards to activity today, go with how your feeling, if your feeling ok then carry on as normal, a friend's son was in dka in hospital last weekend and back to school on Monday, am pretty certain he felt rough but as he's young he bounced back quickly, it just depends on you feel though, if your up to it then carry on, if still feeling rough then take it easy.

Thank goodness your ok though.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
It really does depend on how you feel. I've had a pod failure and will quickly shoot up to over 16 in just hours, I take a shot, put on a new pod and I've always been fine carrying on normally. But I never had ketones that I knew of anyway, nor did I ever feel sick at all. DKA can be really serious so luckily it looks like you are doing better, but keep an eye out for the next few days for ketones.

Now I have a Dexcom and that is such a blessing as my alarms go off and let me know if I climb too high or too low. If you can get a libre people use different apps so they can get alarms. Alarms really make a difference in letting you know what's going on. (they can also be annoying sometimes ). But even being able to glance at a libre to see what is up is a life changer.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@Tweety88 sending ((HUGS))
Things go down hill quickly when pumping if/when there is a problem with your pump
Take things as easy as you can today

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
as others have said go with how you actually feel …. I find when I have a pump failure that after the pen correction and pod change I am back in range within a few hours and I just carry on as normal ( but have never experienced DKA symptoms while awaiting BG's to return to range )

Reactions: Rachette

Tweety88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you all for your replies.

I like it when people update, so I’ll do one!

I was fine the next day. I think because I caught and treated earlyish.

I think ketones went up SO quickly because I had been for a brisk walk pushing the pram (late for school pick up!) and I think I was sick because I ate while I had the ketones.

Ketones came down fairly fast and sugar was good the next day.

Let’s hope that’s my one and only ketones experience!

Thanks all x

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you all for your replies.

I like it when people update, so I’ll do one!

I was fine the next day. I think because I caught and treated earlyish.

I think ketones went up SO quickly because I had been for a brisk walk pushing the pram (late for school pick up!) and I think I was sick because I ate while I had the ketones.

Ketones came down fairly fast and sugar was good the next day.

Let’s hope that’s my one and only ketones experience!

Thanks all x
Glad to hear all is well today! High blood sugars are horrible in themselves especially when they are unexpected. I've had ketoacidosis requiring a trip to A & E twice and your story has reminded me to order those fresh ketone wee sticks as it was a truly horrendous experience. Sounds like you handled it all like a pro so well done!