Do HbA1c and lipid profile test need fasting?

test_positive

I am due to have the above tests soon and neither form says they need to be fasting tests. Does anyone know if they need to be or not? I don't want to have the tests as non-fasting only to find out I need to have them re-done later.

Thank you.

l0vaduck

test_positive said:
I am due to have the above tests soon and neither form says they need to be fasting tests. Does anyone know if they need to be or not? I don't want to have the tests as non-fasting only to find out I need to have them re-done later.

Thank you.

HbA1c, no.

Full lipid count, yes. This is the one that tells you the LDL and HDL.

Total lipids - no. This is the one that just tells you total cholesterol.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I had my 3-monthly tests done this week, and I asked the doctor if they needed to be fasting, and she said no need to fast.

However, it is best to do what they say, because their tests may be different to others. I got the impression from my doc that the particular lab they use does non-fasting tests, maybe due to the type of technology they use. Also, NZ is probably different to the UK in testing equipment/methods.

I always ask them when they order the tests.

test_positive

Many thanks.

The lipids test says "serum lipids". Do you think this is a profile i.e. will show HDL, LDL and triglycerides? Sounds like if it is then I need to do it as a fasting test.

The doctor gave me so many pieces of paper for this, that and the other (I had just been diagnosed) that I got rather confused between them all.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Yes, "serum lipids" is a lipid profile - as far as I know.

I always fast for routine blood tests, just in case they spring something else on me. I don't think there are any tests that you MUST eat before - anyone know otherwise? - so it's safest to fast.

I book my tests weeks ahead so I always get the first appointment, and not eating until later is not a problem for me - though doing without my first coffee is life-threatening :shock: . Usually somebody else's! :lol: :wink:

Viv 8)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
viviennem said:
I book my tests weeks ahead so I always get the first appointment

That's what I do too, 8.30am appointment then time for breakfast :)

iHs

Hi

If your doctor has given you a blood test form printed out on an A4 piece of paper there should be the word FASTING and the amount of time you need to fast for clearly printed somewhere below the words - Blood Sciences at the top righthand side of the sheet. This means that you do have to fast...

I have had fasting blood tests done and non fasting.... I will have another lot of tests done for my consultant and that has Lipid profile ({FASTING}=N) which means that I dont have to fast. If you are not sure though just pop along to pathology and ask a member of staff.......

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
You could also give the lab/testing centre a call and ask them.

It is a pain when I'm given a lot of papers all at once - I keep a notebook now and take it to appointments with me. I make them slow down and tell me the key points and I write them down. If they would rather rush me out the door before I get my info straight, then they're not the kind of health professional I want to see.